HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to this forum but I'm excited to begin a new chapter, that being said Imy seeking information a the hk p9/p9s models from Heckler & Koch. Seeking information on a particular one that I'm currently trying to buy.

Now just to start off with what I know (or what I think I know) is that the earlier offerings were possibly the p9 which in the beginning had the round trigger guard and the single action trigger and a plastic front sight.

The firearm in question is a sport group iii however with matching serial numbers on the barrels both the 4 inch and the 5.5 inch extended version the barrel weight doesn't say sport on it nor does it have a sight/dovetail notch, it has the plastic front sight with the sloping round trigger guard and here is where I believe it may get interesting if I'm correct. It's got p9 features except it's double action also I'm not sure at which point there was a trigger stop implemented but it doesn't have one either. I know or I believe H&K sometimes fitted extra barrels for customers with the same serial number I believe but added a suffix like a /1 from what I've read. The barrels have non. Can anyone tell me if this is something special? Besides the fact it is a early p9s with some good offerings, does it fall or can it fall under the documented range of prototypes due to any features? Maybe the p9 transition to the p9s ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please correct me where I'm wrong on any of this I'm looking to learn and please forgive any spelling or grammatical errors. Thanks to everyone and anyone for viewing and for any insight given.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Also I forgot to add that the magazines are factory original and unmodified but of a "feed lips" pattern which may also be uncommon, and being an early model it is blued vs the later parkerized I believe.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
The P9 /P9S was a work in progress, they made changes along the way. There many slightly different guns out there as they made these changes, plus a few customer guns that were made. I can't speak about the gun you are looking to purchase, but I have many similar but different early blue models and James AKA Marine0303 has went through them all and found a few surprises. There are parts from the early blue models that are not interchangeable with the later black models. They are all special in their own right.

Good luck with your quest for more information.

·
Maximum effort
822 Posts
Posting the serial number would help a lot.

·
Maximum effort
822 Posts
It probably has some transitional features, being such an early gun. That's a cool find!

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is a nice one! Early round trigger guard guns are encountered in both single and double action. The grips with the flatter rear profile are another early/transitional feature. I have an early single action P9 and have owned several P9S double action versions, including four of the regular 4" barrel Target models. Were I in the market for one of the sport guns with the extra barrel and weight, the one you found is the version I'd prefer. With the front sight on the slide, you don't loose the adjustable rear sight feature when using the 4" barrel. Does yours have the original narrow barrel throat or the later one with the barrel throat opened up wider and deeper for use with hollow point bullets? I suspect your early example may have the narrow type barrel throat meant for ball ammunition. Down side is that JHPs may not feed reliably. Up side is that the early narrow throat guns have better case head support.

BTW, I'm not an expert on the P9/P9S series of pistols, but I don't believe it's a prototype. Just one version in the evolution of the P9/P9S series of pistols.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So here's what makes this somewhat of an oddity, one of the reasons behind the title of the post.. the feed lips on the mags are different than all other p9s mags I've seen, has anyone else seen these? They original and unmodified, anyone know of or seen these before? They work flawless, and yes the slide locks back. Gentleman who sold me the firearm said in all his years of studying the p9s series he never saw a mag with these feed lips. Input anyone?

And thank you guys, I am very pleased with this HK. Feels kind of like a robocop type pistol, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts