HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my USP45 Expert. Wanted to buy a NIB 40 Expert but none available. Have decided to buy a NIB USP40 and modify it instead. Trying to duplicate key features of the Expert. Will install Match trigger (best to send to HKCS?). Sights are no problem. Don’t know if it is possible to install o-ringed barrel. I believe Tactical models have such barrels in the proper length and for that matter I would just prefer to buy Tactical but sadly—I live in CA. Can I install a tactical barrel and have a smith remove the threads? Would it be legal at that point, and would I need any additional mods to approximate the Expert? Any feedback other than, “buy a Glock” will be appreciated.

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
2,578 Posts
@isntzen - welcome to the forum.
I'm not loving your approach to this, but your choice.
First I would start by posting a want to buy ad here on the forum since you are now a member. I see there aren't any 40s on GB, but keep checking, I've seen 2-3 in the past year. Not sure if they were new or not, but you aren't buying as an investment so consider just getting a used one.

If you decide to upgrade a USP40 full size, I would recommend Teufelshund Tactical ( TEUFELSHUND TACTICAL owned by member @Marine0303 a supporting vendor on this site). He's an HK Master Armorer, does superb work, and turns your gun around in less than a week. I and many others on this site use his services routinely.

As for the o ring barrel, you can install it, but will need to have someone mill off the threads (then refinish or you'll have raw steel exposed - which might look cool). If you decide to do this, let me know and I'll privately recommend a member here who is a master machinist and does amazing work on HK barrels including re-nitriding them. You could also have someone spot weld a thread protector on there for you but that would prevent future barrel removal. @chuckster62 is an expert on California law and can comment further on your options.

I would also add that the Expert line of guns are factory tuned. It's more than just throwing an O ring barrel in there, it's also about fitting the barrel and proper lock up. I'm not sure a standard frame will lock up with the O ring the same way the Expert does. Ultimately, in my opinion, you will not have a comparable gun going this rout and you will be left unsatisfied. To me, part of the fun of HKs is hunting for the elusive one you always wanted (or wanted as of 2 days ago). The 40 Expert may be difficult to find, but ultimately not impossible. Use this forum and it's resources to help you. Start in the want to buy section. If you don't find one inside of 1 year, I'll mail you my stack of high-end .40 S&W hollow point ammo I have sitting around.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
There are more differences between the Expert and the standard USP than just the slide, sights, Match Trigger, and barrel. The Expert rear sight dovetail is milled lower in the slide so the adjustable rear sight sits lower than a regular USP rear sight. The RSA is another difference.

Buy this Expert .40 barrel here and forget about the threaded barrel.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/215111

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
2,578 Posts
@TooSixy the USP40 barrel is 4.41 in long. The Expert barrel is 5.19 in long with the o ring pretty close to the front. I don't see that o ring locking up in the regular slide in a meaningful way. Besides, I recall reading that the Expert barrels are fit to the frame at the factory. Not like a Wilson Combat barrel is fit to a frame, but more than is done for a standard USP.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
I was under the impression that the OP wants to make an Expert clone since he could not find one available. Yes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@TooSixy approximate the Expert in 40 that is correct. I don't believe substituting an expert barrel would work for reasons @omega21 has mentioned. This is why I was inquiring about a tactical barrel since its length might make it suitable once modified for CA. I also consider the 1 inch shorter pistol length slightly desirable. However, the best solution within my current understanding is a recently manufactured NIB Expert. And although I am intent upon having a 40s&w pistol that is as flawless as my 45 Expert, I’m not willing to pay a multi-hundred dollar premium over retail for a used Expert so that I can have my cake today instead of tomorrow. A modified USP40 standard may still be the way to go.

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
2,578 Posts
...the best solution within my current understanding is a recently manufactured NIB Expert. ...I’m not willing to pay a multi-hundred dollar premium over retail for a used Expert so that I can have my cake today instead of tomorrow.
I'm with you 100% on this. As I noted, give this forum a chance to help you find one of there. I don't see anyone here gouging you. Someone is going to get tired of their 40 and want to sell it.

...A modified USP40 standard may still be the way to go.
Your call of course. I think you'll be disappointed if you spend the money, get something going and then eventually find the 40 Expert you always wanted.
My advice: Abandon all hope... of buying a 40 and switch to 9mm :wink:

Oh, and thanks for the mention @isntzen I'm trying to beat @TooSixy

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
If I wanted a .40sw Expert, I wouldn't rush things, I would just be patient & methodical until I found one.

Keep an eye on the for sale forum here as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@omega21 Your advice seems sound and is highly appreciated. I have posted in WTB and I am quite willing to be patient. I have several 9's so definitely set there. Just trying to fill the gap between 9 and 45. Additional feedback is always welcome ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts