HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
34,527 Posts
That would be impossible for someone like @AGG to go through all 28,426 posts to find a couple. :)
No doubt!!! :eek::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Unless it is a recent post, the proof required is unrealistic, and a convenient ruse, which has probably worked with sites whose members are not dedicated, unlike those on this site. :rolleyes:
VS should just admit that it intentionally and/or accidentally "lost/deleted data" while transference and/or clearing space. :wink:

Tony

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If posts are missing and that is why the post count has been lowered how would any member have Poof of missing posts? Is there a back up of all of the data from this site or not? If there is then tech should be able to figure out what is missing and restore it. If not and they Disappeared the data then again they should be able to answer the question. Some members post counts have changed by hundreds or more. That is not simply explained away by saying that the new count reflects the accurate total.

·
Registered
604 Posts
At the end of the day post counts on an internet forum I imagine aren't a priority problem for a tech team. For those of us who have been here a long time, and thoughtfully contributed to this community, it is a bit disappointing to have this seemingly pushed back on the members to prove that our posts are missing. As The Great 308 put it above - who keeps proof of their posts?

I worked in IT for many, many years and found myself in a similar position of having to explain that sometimes you just don't know why things run off the rails without a lot of digging. It happens and you have to balance the resources needed to run down a tricky problem versus the rewards. I get it, I really do, and while my post count is several hundred posts less than it should be, I'm done worrying about it. Besides, I'm pretty sure Tony and Toosixy have a team of foreign hackers working day and night to siphon post counts to themselves...:biggrin:

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,548 Posts
@admin We have been patiently waiting for this to be fixed. Can you give us an update? Or hope?

·
Registered
34,527 Posts
At the end of the day post counts on an internet forum I imagine aren't a priority problem for a tech team. For those of us who have been here a long time, and thoughtfully contributed to this community, it is a bit disappointing to have this seemingly pushed back on the members to prove that our posts are missing. As The Great 308 put it above - who keeps proof of their posts?

I worked in IT for many, many years and found myself in a similar position of having to explain that sometimes you just don't know why things run off the rails without a lot of digging. It happens and you have to balance the resources needed to run down a tricky problem versus the rewards. I get it, I really do, and while my post count is several hundred posts less than it should be, I'm done worrying about it. Besides, I'm pretty sure Tony and Toosixy have a team of foreign hackers working day and night to siphon post counts to themselves...:biggrin:
Domestic!!! :biggrin:

Tony

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
Mine were a bit over 10k over a year or so, and now are in the 8ks. I hope this doesn't mean I have to give back the free HK21 I received for my 10,000th post...

·
Administrator
1,066 Posts
Hello all,

I'll bring this up to the team when I can. I'll see what we can do about this.
But if the techs have already indexed the post count on their end, this should be the post count that users are at.

Please standby for more updates and sorry for the inconvenience,

Ed

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Keep it!!! :biggrin:
I am missing about 2K--- oh well--- still more than @TooSixy--- and that is what matters. :wink:

Tony
I know a lot of you guys are making jokes about this and Tony you do have a crazy high post count either way. The jokes are pretty funny and all but that is not the issue. I am not concerned about the number of posts I have I am concerned about the information that is supposed to be archived on this board.

The issue is that people come here for answers and most of us on this board try pretty hard to help others by answering their questions. I know I personally have spent over an hour trying to answer someone's questions before on multiple occasions. These questions and answers are supposed to be archived here for others with similar questions in the future. That way folks can first search for an answer prior to starting a new thread. The main purpose of this board is to help others and if thousands of posts are suddenly missing I find it very hard to believe that posts and even whole threads of substance are not missing.

Hello all,

I'll bring this up to the team when I can. I'll see what we can do about this.
But if the techs have already indexed the post count on their end, this should be the post count that users are at.

Please standby for more updates and sorry for the inconvenience,

Ed
No offense but this is a nonsensical and somewhat insulting answer. Our posts counts did not jump by hundreds or thousands of posts overnight so there is no way that they could be diminished by hundreds or thousands overnight and the new lower number simply be the legitimate post count.

·
Registered
34,527 Posts
I know a lot of you guys are making jokes about this and Tony you do have a crazy high post count either way. The jokes are pretty funny and all but that is not the issue. I am not concerned about the number of posts I have I am concerned about the information that is supposed to be archived on this board.

The issue is that people come here for answers and most of us on this board try pretty hard to help others by answering their questions. I know I personally have spent over an hour trying to answer someone's questions before on multiple occasions. These questions and answers are supposed to be archived here for others with similar questions in the future. That way folks can first search for an answer prior to starting a new thread. The main purpose of this board is to help others and if thousands of posts are suddenly missing I find it very hard to believe that posts and even whole threads of substance are not missing.

No offense but this is a nonsensical and somewhat insulting answer. Our posts counts did not jump by hundreds or thousands of posts overnight so there is no way that they could be diminished by hundreds or thousands overnight and the new lower number simply be the legitimate post count.
No offense taken--- I like to contribute, and be informative and courteous!!! :biggrin:
The post count is immaterial--- lost information is highly relevant. :wink:
I believe that VS cleared out much of the "really old" information to increase space for the site--- an inexpensive (read as cheapo) method of saving money. :rolleyes:

Tony

·
Administrator
1,066 Posts
one way to figure this out is to see what are the common dates all the users have, that have missing posts.
if they're all similar then it might hint that there's something missing in the database that isn't just our claims that the reindexing is now showing your real post count status.

Lee

·
11,548 Posts
Or you could go back to a back up from a few weeks before this mess started and do some comparisons. It's hard for users to put a finger on exactly what is missing when it is gone. @admin

Reactions: The_Great_308

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Are areas such as the classifieds still purged periodically? On a rolling schedule of some sort? I recall it was discussed in the past.

Does posting in the classifieds and similar areas increase a user's post count?

@admin relays that engineering indicates current post counts are correct because the database was run through a "reindexing" process.

Maybe we are seeing users lose a portion of their post count because the content that originally incremented the count no longer exists.

·
11,548 Posts
There have been no deletions from classifieds in quite some time.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.