HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully you all can help me. I recently purchased a new USP 45 Full Size V1 from a licensed H&K dealer about two months ago. It has been great so far except for one thing...
A few weeks ago when leaving the range, I inserted a magazine full of Hornady TAP FPD 230gr. +P rounds into the gun with the slide locked back. I then dropped the slide using the slide release, engaged the safety, then holstered. When I got home, the live round would not eject from the chamber. It took a great amount of force to pull the slide to the rear, and eject. Upon inspection the round had a dent on the jacketing of the bullet, and the primer had been dented in!

As this is my carry weapon, and I live in an apartment where an AD would not go unnoticed, this worried me greatly. However, I have been carrying with this same ammo in the chamber since then... until tonight when the exact same thing happened. Although this time, the round did not receive any dents. Has this happened to anyone else? What could the cause of this be, and might it possibly discharge if this happens again? Could this have something to do with the rounds sitting in a warm gun? (I should hope not.) I have about 500-600 rounds through this weapon, and I clean it thoroughly after each firing.

Sorry for the long post. Any helpful insights would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
817 Posts
It's not that uncommon for a chambered round to have a slight indentation on the primer. Its' very common on AR rifles in fact.

I'm kind of curious as to what indentation was on the bullet. By it being hard to extract, it sounds as if the case mouth was bent or peeled back, which I've had happen or the bullet was out of round. Pics would help.

Edited - see if the TAPS are within spec for .45acp length, if you have calipers. The bullet might be seated too far out which would cause it to be grabbed by the start of the rifling.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Have you tried different ammo or checked the chamber for some type of blockage, perhaps a bur or somthing along the lines of that which would cause an extremely tight fit?

It's not that uncommon for a chambered round to have a slight indentation on the primer. Its' very common on AR rifles in fact.
AR's have a tendency to do that because of the free floating firing pin. A USP should NOT, emphasis on NOT do this due to the firing pin block and inertial design of the firing pin inside of the slide assembly. I overlooked the first part about primer strikes on chambering and would suggest that you send your pistol to HK and have them take a look at it because it sounds like you have either a broken firing pin or a broken firing pin block.

·
Registered
112 Posts
WRT the dented primer, does it appera to be a dent caused by the pin??? If so, check to see that your pin is free to move. Some times gunk can build up in the pin channel and cause problems.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your replies.
I would post pictures, but I regrettably do not have a camera available currently.

- The indentation on the primer does not look like a firing pin mark. It is much smaller in size, and it is dented more off to one side than normal. But I suppose it could still be from the firing pin, since it didn't strike hard enough to discharge the round.
- I would also think that my firing pin is free to move (although I have not fully dismantled the gun, I simply field strip) because I often practice with snap caps, and all appears to be normal.
- The chamber appears to be free of any obstruction or burr.
- JoeHk, I am not sure what you mean by figuring out the specs of the Hornady TAP rounds. Should I be careful of which factory rounds to use? I have always figured that all factory .45 ACP rounds would be acceptable in the USP. I have fired probably about 40 rounds of this particular make through my gun with no problems.

The pistol is still very new, I've only had it for about two months, and I haven't put all that many rounds through it. So I really hope the firing pin or block wouldn't break this quickly. Also this has only happened after I leave the range after putting about 100 rounds through it, and when I drop the slide with the release. All the other times when I clear the chamber after carrying, the rounds and extraction process are normal. It just so happens that both times this happened was with the Hornady TAP round.

I really cant think of what could be wrong with this. Should I send it into H&K for inspection? Does anyone else carry with this round and have this problem?

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Your firing pin should not be free moving, it's designed so that it should only move if the hammer strikes it.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have had primers look "slightly" dented in from reloading them. It happens when some crap gets into the primer seater. Thats nothing to worry about.

Although unlikely, it is POSSIBLE for ammo to get jammed up in the machinery and sneak past QC. I had a WWB round do the EXACT same thing when i first bought my gun. The mouth was peeled back, and i had to pull back fiercly to get the round out.

Thats a big reason to check your ammo, when your loading them into your mags! I thought i was being careful enough, but i was VERY wrong!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Im not sure this would fix the problem:

Try switching carry loads to a Remington Golden Saber, or Winchester Ranger SXT.

They cases are coated in a corrosion resistant nickel. And, the primers are a high reliable primer that has been sealed from moisture. These have always feeded fine for me, even the top two rounds that get handled often.

My HK USPc .45 had a problem with the slide locking back after each round. Never noticed the primers getting a dimple. I sold the compact and bought a full size and haven't had any problems with it since.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
F22, I definitely know what you're talking about in regards to inspecting each round.. Ever since this incident happened the first time, I have inspected each round of my carry ammo before loading magazines. However, the second time this happened (today) the round was not damaged after I forcibly extracted it.
The slide was almost impossible to retract. I had to really pull it to retract the slide and extract the round. I almost want to say that this has to do with the round being kept in a hot chamber. Could the round expand, being in a hot chamber, and somehow get itself stuck?

I'm certainly going to change my carry ammo, and possibly even contact H&K.

·
Banned
77 Posts
I agree with Raptor. I had a very similar problem with my Glock17 a while ago. I'd chamber a round, but the darn thing would not come out again without the use of substantial force!

In the end it was merely a faulty resizing die causing the case to be slighty tapered to the bottom, causing a pretty firm taper lock. I got the die replaced and the problem went away.

I suggest changing your carry ammo. Try some Speer Gold Dots or Remington Golden Sabers. Way cool bullets!

·
Registered
124 Posts
The usp 45 barrels have very short throats. When reloading for my uspf 45 i have to shorten up my cartridge overall length or the sluggs will hit the lands before the round has fully chambered/headspaced on the rim.

I have had other 45s (non hk) which would eat bullets that the usp cant because of this issue. Currently, my uspf 45 won't chamber some of my 185 grn flatpoints (berrrys plated bullets) because I have to seat them so far down the in case that the feed geometry gets messed up and I get a FTF. If I could seat the slugs out a little further the feed geometry would be fine and the bullets would work ok; but I can't seat them out longer or the rounds wont go to full battery. I have tried these same rounds in other 45's and they work just fine.

Perhaps the reason the ammo is hard to hand extract is because the slug is smashed up against the lands. Personally, this is the about the only thing I don't like about my usp 45. It has actually been more ammo picky than I thought it would be.

Your ammo just cant be seated out to far or too short; factory ammo not excluded.

·
Registered
506 Posts
you say the jacket was dented. Is it possible that the box of ammo was bumped hard and that dented the round? I was with someone when they closed the car door on a box of ammo and pushed back all the bullets back into the casings on 2 rows of ammo. Scared the daylights out of me as I saw that door closing! Lucky for us they didn't go off. Anyway, could have happened in shipping or something like that maybe?
Or did you pick up rounds from the ground that had been cleared from your gun? It's not hard to pick up one that isn't yours or maybe steped on one and dented it?
If the case was dented when you loaded it that would certainly explain what happened.

·
Registered
817 Posts
- JoeHk, I am not sure what you mean by figuring out the specs of the Hornady TAP rounds. Should I be careful of which factory rounds to use? I have always figured that all factory .45 ACP rounds would be acceptable in the USP. I have fired probably about 40 rounds of this particular make through my gun with no problems.
I like Hornady TAP. But I've seen lots of ammo out of spec. If the case length is too long or the bullet is not seated deep enough, both would cause chambered rounds to be more difficult to extract.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
I am curious now is the ammo you keep having problems with from the same batch? Or even from the same box? With the pressure being placed o the industry trying to keep up with recreational shooters, a nation at war, plus replenish the national stockpile there are things getting past QC that wouldn't have in the past.

I think it was G&A that also did a big write up on some of the ammo QC problems as of late. It is also something I was talking to a buddy of mine at a gun store about. He says they have had more ammo than normal come back due to problems with it.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Again, thanks for everyone's help...

I'm pretty sure that the round had not been dented before I forcibly extracted it. The biggest mystery for me in all this is how the round was damaged during this process.

As for getting stuck in the chamber, I suppose everyone is right and it was a faulty round. I still have both rounds that got stuck in the chamber, and I tried them in the chamber again, and they got stuck (not as stuck as when I was leaving the range though). Also, if I pressed the rounds hard into the chamber they were extremely difficult to remove. As a matter of fact, all the Hornady rounds have a much tighter fit in my chamber than the WWB rounds, and snap caps that I have. (Maybe someone can prove this by checking TAP rounds in their 45 chamber.)

So I guess that the rounds are faulty (incorrect size), and a combination of getting slammed into the chamber by the slide, and maybe expanding a little in a hot chamber caused these rounds to get stuck, resulting in an extremely difficult extraction. Thanks for everyone's help, I feel more confident that there isn't something wrong with my pistol... I would have never thought a premium hand inspected self defense round such as Hornay TAP would be out of proper spec, or the USP's chamber to be so picky.

·
Registered
817 Posts
You definitely have out of spec ammo. It's overall length is too long or the case length is too long.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Your firing pin should not be free moving, it's designed so that it should only move if the hammer strikes it.
This is incorrect. It does move, but will only move forward with a deliberate pull of the trigger, which cams the sear and sear actuator latch upward, disengaging the firing pin block as the hammer falls, unlocking the firing pin. Technically the firing pin block spring could be broke or the firing pin block could be stuck allowing the firing pin to move forward during the forward movement of the slide without the hammer striking it.

But apparently this is not happening since it is actually not a firing pin detent on the primer, but a result of the manufacturing process of the primer itself. Under close inspection I've noticed small detents, barely noticeable on 9mm primers.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well I meant that in the sense of it will not bounce around in the slide such as a free floating pin bolt does.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sounds like you have the problem figured out.

Some guns work better with certain types of ammo, try some differant types until you find one that works everytime with your pistol.

There's lot's of good choices regarding carry ammo out there. My favs are; Speer Gold Dot's, Rem Golden Saber's, Win Ranger T's, and CorBon DPX.

If one of those feeds, fires, and ejects without issue you should be in good shape.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts