HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys:

So here's my question(s) {caveat: My google Fu has brought me nothing, so if this has already been discussed, my bad.}

1. Is there any reason why I cannot have someone build me a MP5 in 9mm and 40 cal, PP swing down semi-auto, much like the POF, with the shelf on the back end, to prohibit simply attaching a F/A pack?

2. If this IS possible, who to do the work?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think I'm missing something. But, I'm not too knowledgeable on these matters. If the firearm is manufactured in the U.S., why would you want the shelf?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
401 Posts
{As I understand} You have to have the shelf, in order to prohibit placing a full auto "clip on" trigger group, like the one below.
https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/MP5-9mm-Burst-4-Position-Trigger-Group-0-1-2-F-89p1421.htm
I was thinking that if it's manufacturered in the U.S. it can be built to accept push pin lowers. I think most of the clone manufacturers here build them as registered auto sear ready. I thought the shelf thing was an import restriction. I may be wrong though.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And as an added note.....Jayson said he didn't feel comfortable doing it. He has always done my work, so I really would like to make this happen. I want to do at least one in each caliber, and possibly more if they are reliable.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Anything is possible, machining isn't rocket science.

There is a reason that reputable builders might not do that. It would behoove you to follow their lead.

You can accomplish the same thing by going down the same road thousands of us have before, and just go with the shelf.

Either way, good luck safe shooting.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not sure why it couldn't be done like the Zenith MKE's. A small shelf to prevent a full auto pack and a rear block to prevent the use of a full auto carrier. If the ATF has approved thousands of these to be imported, there should be no reason a US builder could not do the same.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anything is possible, machining isn't rocket science.

There is a reason that reputable builders might not do that. It would behoove you to follow their lead.

You can accomplish the same thing by going down the same road thousands of us have before, and just go with the shelf.

Either way, good luck safe shooting.
I think you're missing my point, and just to clarify for others that I'd like to chime in...... I'm all for putting on a shelf. This eliminates the creation of a postie machinegun, as you cannot attach a f/a lower. I want to achieve a double PP semi/auto MP5, that includes a shelf. Having said that, I would "like" to be able to utilize a transferable sear with this configuration. I do not seek to attach a full auto lower, to create a post 86 mg.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure why it couldn't be done like the Zenith MKE's. A small shelf to prevent a full auto pack and a rear block to prevent the use of a full auto carrier. If the ATF has approved thousands of these to be imported, there should be no reason a US builder could not do the same.
FWP......you get my point exactly!!!! If they can import swing down lower MP5 clones, with a shelf.....why can we not do this? As of today, I know I can sell 5 of these, plus two that I would love to have in 9mm and 10mm.

Please..... I would love to have some input on this. Especially from those in the forum that actually "build". Thank you in advance.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
In order to do it domesticly with certainty of legality, a plan would have to be submitted to the ATF for approval. So the question is, why doesn't anyone do it?... we have considered it however at the end of the day it wasn't worth fipping over rocks not knowing what might come out from underneath one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Exactly my thinking as well. Clearly the ATF is OK with both configurations of semi-auto receivers. I think it's just a bit hard for established builders and an established community to accept that there are now two ways to manufacture a legal semi-only receiver.

·
Vendor
2,158 Posts
For a semi auto only perhaps but that would not be usable as a sear host.

I am guessing a large part is that the penalty for being wrong is less than friendly.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In order to do it domesticly with certainty of legality, a plan would have to be submitted to the ATF for approval. So the question is, why doesn't anyone do it?... we have considered it however at the end of the day it wasn't worth fipping over rocks not knowing what might come out from underneath one.
"What are my odds? Hit me with it! Are they like 1 in a 100?"
"More like 1 in a million".

"Sooo you're telling me I have a chance!!!!"
-Dumb and Dumber

So would this be something you would have an interest in pursuing? Or is this something you have pursued, only find it to be a colossal PITA? If you do have an interest, please PM me and let's talk details, because I have a sincere interest in making this happen.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I think you're missing my point, and just to clarify for others that I'd like to chime in...... I'm all for putting on a shelf. This eliminates the creation of a postie machinegun, as you cannot attach a f/a lower. I want to achieve a double PP semi/auto MP5, that includes a shelf. Having said that, I would "like" to be able to utilize a transferable sear with this configuration. I do not seek to attach a full auto lower, to create a post 86 mg.
My limited understanding is that you can convert a standard HK style semi auto receiver to have a Southern Asian double push pin semi configuration. There was a letter floating around here a while back about doing so. You'd have to write your own letter as a NFA Technology Branch letter is only good for the writer. It is my understanding that there are two approved semi auto roller locked receiver configurations. One is the original HK configuration with the wraparound shelf without a hole through the receiver for the paddle mag release. The other configuration is with a narrow shelf with a front push pin. But the only way to have the front push pin with the small front shelf is to weld in a block in the back of the receiver that would not allow a full auto carrier into the receiver. There is no mix and match. The receiver block must be installed before the front shelf is modified and the hole is drilled. Or going the other way, the wraparound shelf must be welded into place before the rear carrier block can be removed. I would think here is a very limited market for US made double push pin guns as a custom build. Those few buyers would be semi auto only buyers. HK full auto conversion device owners can't get full auto fire without a full auto carrier to activate the trip lever. So why would full auto owner buy one?

Could you find a smith to do such a build? I would think so. The problem is such a build would be very expensive. It has my experience that most competent smiths are very busy. It is tough to get them to do custom work. If they will do your custom project, you need to make it worth their while. I would think a custom double push pin build might add up to double the labor cost. So that would be such a limited market. This is why the Southern Asian guns aren't used a sear hosts much. The custom work to get a Southern Asian gun into standard HK configuration for use with a HK conversion device gets such a host into the range of a custom build. YMMV.

Scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts