HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new hydraulic press mainly to press gun barrels my old one is crap. AK barrels don't take much to press but these HK barrels are much tighter. What pound press do I need to get. I am sure the biggest I can afford the better or whatever. BUT will a new 12 ton do the job? 16 ton? 20 ton? I was looking at a 20 ton but if I don't need that big of a press I am gonna save a couple bucks and a little back pain getting it loaded. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
I have a 12 ton HF model and it's been working great. I don't think you'll need much more than 5 tons of force to press a barrel out and certainly much less than that to press them in.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
jeepguy,
"breaking them loose" is where all the work is. Get a 20 ton press, then you can handle most anything that comes your way.....and with ease!
Dj

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol. 20 ton, 12 ton... damn u guys I am right back where I was. Seriously I appreciate your inputs and points.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I use a 12 ton at work for bigger jobs than pressing barrels with zero problems.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
think I will get a 12 ton and prolly be in good shape. If I find something I cannot press DJF and that little voice that lives in the back of my head that always tells me I need to overbuild stuff, and that stuff needs loads of power, and should be oversize can tell me "we told you so" lol.

Hey XfilterX is that HF press pretty decent? Did it come with plates? I was kind of worried their "12 ton" may not really be capable of 12 tons and so on. Sometimes they over-rate things it seems. That said I have a lot of their crap.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
A 12 ton HF will work fine for most HK barrel work. I bent the frame years ago on my press trying to press in a barrel. The bottom support bent because I was pressing in an FAC g3 Korean barrel into a POF trunion. I think the barrel was oversize. I should have mic'd the barrel and trunion to see how interference fit between the parts. I ended up fixing the support by bending it back with a torch and welding a solid rod to it as a support piece. Some websites show people who have welded their presses in spots to make it rock solid. The price difference between the 12 and 20 ton HF press is very minimal. If you have the space, I'd suggest the 20 ton.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
jeepguy,
if you are "one of those" who prefer to over engineer/build things, then you answered your own question. +1 on jfk. price difference is very minimal & if you have the little extra room........? HF presses do come with the plates. If you are looking at a HF press, check it out really well before you leave the store. Family friend had to go through 2 of them before he got one that was nice. The verticle uprights were twisted & the pin location holes were drilled asymetrical.
Dj

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
went to HF and they were out of 20 ton presses so I said what the hell and bought a 12 ton. Came home and threw it together. Had to try it out so I pressed a SW45 barrel into a 45 trunnion and it went no problem. Dunno how they are spec wise but if all barrels press like that I am happy. Guess time will tell. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
went to HF and they were out of 20 ton presses so I said what the hell and bought a 12 ton. Came home and threw it together. Had to try it out so I pressed a SW45 barrel into a 45 trunnion and it went no problem. Dunno how they are spec wise but if all barrels press like that I am happy. Guess time will tell. Thanks for the help guys.
That press will work fine. If pressing barrels, just check and measure the parts to confirm the parts are not way oversized and tighten the nuts/bolts every so often.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As a side note, if you don't have access to a 12 ton press, a hub puller and an impact wrench will work fine. Found that out myself, since I don't have access to a press. Pressing out may be an issue, but for pressing in, it works just fine.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That press will work fine. If pressing barrels, just check and measure the parts to confirm the parts are not way oversized and tighten the nuts/bolts every so often.
Both good idea. thanks. I have never even thought to mic a barrel or trunnion before I went to pressing them. hah. Seems like it is obvious one should now that I think about it. Deff will check the bolt tightness on the press every once in a while. I thought I might use some locktight on the bolts after everything has settled in.

·
Banned
879 Posts
As a side note, if you don't have access to a 12 ton press, a hub puller and an impact wrench will work fine. Found that out myself, since I don't have access to a press. Pressing out may be an issue, but for pressing in, it works just fine.
Just out of curiosity, could you do me a favor and either post a link to the exact kind of puller you're talking about and/or pics of the one you use on a receiver?

I read about this in a thread started by a russian dude here on HKpro and went to look for a puller, but I couldn't find one that seemed to have long enough arms to work on a receiver with the trunion already installed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Will do once I can get back to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts