HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Price check on selling Price of HK G3K from a HK91 vs "Clone" G3K - Refernce Only

Trying to decide on building the G3K from the HK91 (no 922r issues, is all German and don't have to get another receiver ;-) vs having it built from a PTR receiver with a RCM barrel (could be a pistol, might go with rail for optics etc.). An it is coming down to figuring the deference in later resale value (ya this is not an investment but when you are nearly 60, have to figure that in "X" number years might be moving a few toys ;-). Any discussions on selling pricing or any other reason to go HK91 vs clone is appreciated. Will be a sear host but also a SBR sooner or later.

The cost of building the clone is higher (mostly off set if one would wish to sell off the HK91 ;-) and figure has to be worth the cost of a nice PTR or better, thus something in the grand plus range on a good day .... maybe/hopefully higher?
The cost of building the German HK91 / G3K is a little lower (not as much as the HK91 would sell for) and figure has to be worth the cost of at least a nice HK91 or mid two grand plus on a good day .... maybe/hopefully higher?

Thanks and appreciate everyone's inputs, ideas and tolerance on the use of bandwidth.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I will give you a helpful statistic. According to materials I read in the 1980s and early 1990s about the Pre-Ban HKs, they brought in 4 to 5 times as many HK91s compared to the HK93. From a rarity perspective, that would mean the HK93 is probably of better investment value compared to HK91.

For a shooter, I bought two JLD PTR91s in the early SARCO days. Both have been flawless. I paid $500 each. Really a wonderful deal.

You need to think about rifling issues with the original HK barrels in relation to the ammo you will use in my opinion.

I have a HK-91-1 and much prefer shooting the JLD guns because they are a fraction of the cost and function is the same from my experience.

If you want a shooter, that is opposite a collector's gun. Spend some time and buy it right.

My .02 cents. I would go with a clone that you know functions.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will give you a helpful statistic. According to materials I read in the 1980s and early 1990s about the Pre-Ban HKs, they brought in 4 to 5 times as many HK91s compared to the HK93. From a rarity perspective, that would mean the HK93 is probably of better investment value compared to HK91.

For a shooter, I bought two JLD PTR91s in the early SARCO days. Both have been flawless. I paid $500 each. Really a wonderful deal.

You need to think about rifling issues with the original HK barrels in relation to the ammo you will use in my opinion.

I have a HK-91-1 and much prefer shooting the JLD guns because they are a fraction of the cost and function is the same from my experience.

If you want a shooter, that is opposite a collector's gun. Spend some time and buy it right.

My .02 cents. I would go with a clone that you know functions.
Feel free to define "buy it right" ... barrel twist rates, options etc. Discussion are always much better before than after the gun is built.
I have $385 in my first HK91 but got it use after the guy fired a mag. The HK93s have always been a little higher but picked up a few over the years, but no 1 in 7 twist ones yet (friend go to one first and the other was messed up).

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
JT,

I'd preserve the factory 91 as long as possible and it has the best chance of appreciating as is IMO. Wth clone qualities having improved as much as they have in recent years and the fact that you have reg. HK sear.... Build the somewhat more expensive clone from the ground up and shoot the snot out of it as you like. Leave the HK91 as virgin as possible....when it comes to selling something...sell the HK91 if/when the prices are bubbly high. In the meantime you'll have preserved your option for selling the G3k and if you have it built in pistol form...that makes for a much quicker easier sale.

My two cents and I'm no expert on the 91s, G3k, current or expected future market values, yada, yada. Hell, I'm not an expert at any of this HK stuff. I should make that my tagline in fact

-HH

·
HK Shooting Team
2,809 Posts
John,

As you know, the 91 is a beast! We are not getting younger and I find the G3K to be better balanced and smoother shooting than the 91....amazing at what barrel length does! Convert the 91 and enjoy a close to G3K factory gun....after all, we aren't going to be enjoying it forever!!!! You will have all the fire power you need for the effective range of your eyes and a gun that is so amazingly balanced it will make you ask why you waited so long.......your estate will get more for a well done G3K conversion later anyways!!!!!! Pin the extended flash until you decide to SBR.

Best,

bystok!

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the discussion ... and hoping more along the lines of my selling the ones I don't use much when I am 72 vs the estate ;-).

Of course the ultimate answer is make two G3Ks, one on the HK91 and one from the PTR receiver .....

·
Registered
487 Posts
Maybe you should diversify and look at other 7,62 platforms.

The HK91 / G3 should have an 18 inch barrel so you get the performance out of the 7,62 cartridge in my opinion.

It is an immensely strong and accurate weapon system. However, that being said, the controls are clunky and neandrathal-esque in operation.

Just my opinion.

Be sure to buy half of your mags in aluminum and the other half in steel if you can.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe you should diversify and look at other 7,62 platforms.
The HK91 / G3 should have an 18 inch barrel so you get the performance out of the 7,62 cartridge in my opinion.
It is an immensely strong and accurate weapon system. However, that being said, the controls are clunky and neandrathal-esque in operation.
Just my opinion.

Be sure to buy half of your mags in aluminum and the other half in steel if you can.
I am down to three full size HK91's (less any that become G3Ks) and thus thinking have the full length barrel end partially covered. My only other NFA host is in the photo foreground (would love friends M240 ;-) until I get a 308 kit for the MM23eK. The FALs don't have any full auto option ;-(. Have several dozen steel and lost count of the aluminum mags .... and looking at a few XS drums of my own (have one on TDY from a friend ... Thanks!).

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would do ONE G3K if I was you. That will get the bug out of your system. I like your PKM. That is on my list. They sling lead. And they run like a raped ape. That is probably my favorite 7,62 MG platform. 240 Bravo is nice also, but I much prefer the simplicity of the PKM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts