HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an FMP parts kit from a couple of years ago (IO) and a PTR receiver. I was going to build it myself, but after reading a bunch of threads decided that I wasn't going to do as quality of job done as I would like. (its one thing to do a 1919 another thing to do a HK).

Question is, who does the builds and what are they running these days? Again, I have the parts kit already and receiver. Has anyone called around recently? I assume its RDTS, Investment Grade Firearms, TSC, etc. Anyother thoughts. Again, trying to get some guidance on price. Thanks.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
If you want top quality, those you mentioned are at the top of the food chain.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Pricing Vary's

You may wish to check out (Big 50) I believe that he's the best priced?

I will tell you that Jayson of IGF did unbelievable good work on a weapon that no one else would touch.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rough estimate, what are people getting to put these together. This may not be a project that I can afford at this time. Hate to call around if I am not in the ball park.

·
Registered
864 Posts
i have seen some of jayson's work...every once in awhile I call him...he's just always outside my budget, but I always wish he wasnt. Work is second to none.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Sell the parts and buy one.There was one that just sold for $775 the other day.Doubt you can get any cheaper than that?

·
Registered
76 Posts

Best thing to do is find out what you want done to the rifle first, finish type, paddle mag release, etc, . Email the builders requesting a price quote,build time, warranty info and options they can perform on the build. Keep all the emails as proof of what they claim for your records.

Mine above was built by Jason at IGF, i used a PTR trigger,hammer , sear and trigger housing, it dropped right in to the plastic grip housing,. The grip housing is German and i did the clip and pin on it and also did the paddle mag release on the SW receiver, this saved me some money on the build.I had all the US compliant parts ready for the build. What IGF did was to build the upper and refinish it, $550. Though its not a good pic for close ups the finish he uses is great, ive had the rear butt section off a dozen tiimes and not one chip or scratch and the welds are fantastic . Function is 100% , IGF has been building these things for years and i highly recommend him.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My build cost right at $550 as well.

I paid:

FMP G3 parts kit: $225
JLD Recevier:$225
Build/Refinish:$550
Tapered Cocking Tube:$75
Black butt Stock:$50
Black Wide Forearm:$75
SEF Lower Cover:$75
---------------------------
Maybe I am missing something but the total buils came in at $1400-ish

I feel the this gun is better than a H&K built HK91.

It is everything I wanted with out cutting any corners like on the PTR. I don't buy/make guns to sell, I keep them to enjoy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What i liked about doing my build was that i was able to pick the best parts i could find in the configuration i wanted and not settle for what the PTR offered and then go and upgrade it. Plus too many PTR problems.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I had Jayson do mine, was $550 IIRC. I'll say $500-$700 for some of the best builds. ARS shows $700.

I like the recomendation for dumping the kits and reciever and buying one. Unless there is something very specific you want done there is no way to justify paying a good smith to do something for you when you can get good quality for half the price.
My G3 was nearly $1400 when done and at that time I could have bought a PTR for $899.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have an FMP parts kit from a couple of years ago (IO) and a PTR receiver. I was going to build it myself, but after reading a bunch of threads decided that I wasn't going to do as quality of job done as I would like. (its one thing to do a 1919 another thing to do a HK).

Question is, who does the builds and what are they running these days? Again, I have the parts kit already and receiver. Has anyone called around recently? I assume its RDTS, Investment Grade Firearms, TSC, etc. Anyother thoughts. Again, trying to get some guidance on price. Thanks.

I would personally sell the parts and buy a Greek Sar-8 or save a few extra bucks for a HK-91. The reciever , parts and gunsmithing form a good smith will cost you more than the gun will be worth. As far as Jayson at IGF goes I had him build me a HK53K & I noticed the bolt was bottoming out on the recoil spring and not even making it to the buffer and thats even after I cut over 1 inch off of the recoil spring. The gun was obviously designed wrong so I sent it back to IGF over 4 months ago and I am still waiting. I do not like to complaine but my gun should have been fixed first before any other work because it was built wrong and he was allready paid in full before the gun was 100% built. I have also emailed him to call me several times so we could disscuss the problem but he never called me once. This was my second build with him (plus the second one that went back) so I am about at the end of my rope.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I would personally sell the parts and buy a Greek Sar-8 or save a few extra bucks for a HK-91. The reciever , parts and gunsmithing form a good smith will cost you more than the gun will be worth. As far as Jayson at IGF goes I had him build me a HK53K & I noticed the bolt was bottoming out on the recoil spring and not even making it to the buffer and thats even after I cut over 1 inch off of the recoil spring. The gun was obviously designed wrong so I sent it back to IGF over 4 months ago and I am still waiting. I do not like to complaine but my gun should have been fixed first before any other work because it was built wrong and he was allready paid in full before the gun was 100% built. I have also emailed him to call me several times so we could disscuss the problem but he never called me once. This was my second build with him (plus the second one that went back) so I am about at the end of my rope.

Also great advice. I bought my SAR8 (EBO) a year ago for $1175. MUCH less expensive than my built G3.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
As far as Jayson at IGF goes I had him build me a HK53K & I noticed the bolt was bottoming out on the recoil spring and not even making it to the buffer and thats even after I cut over 1 inch off of the recoil spring.
I had similar problems initially with a 51k I built. He's going to have to go with a two piece recoil rod, however after a long conversation with Terry Dyer, he told me the 53's carrier shouldn't even touch the buffer and that's why you see many builders going with an MP5 stock without a buffer.

Personally, I want the buffer in there anyhow, wether it hits or not. I passed on the Choate sidefolder for the MP5 and used an HK-53 collapsable instead.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Any clue what FMP G3 kits are going for these days?? Thanks.
If you can find one?
The excellent condition kits I've seen in the past were around $475-500. I've not seen one in months, though. Robert at RTG parts has a few complete kits.... Nevermind. I just checked to confirm. He's out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK. I have been looking around and I haven't seen any SAR's that are stamped steel or the FMP G3s.

I have seen the PTR 91's for around 1000, but I understand they may have soft trunions due to "annealing" on instillation.

I am back to having one built gain. I have the parts kit and the receiver already and cannot seem to find any other host other than a PTR. $300 for the parts kit, $225 for the receiver, $600 for the build. Not much more than a PTR and I think it will be better off.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just my opinion..but if you are going with a build. I would recommend buying a HK 91 rifle that has been beat. The reason is.. a complete Hk rifle with hold better value later than a clone.
If you just want a HK91/G3 type of rifle to shoot and enjoy..I would buy the economical SAR-8 Made in Greece. Identical to a Hk91 and all parts interchange without ANY issues. I know of one NIB for 1100.00
I own both rifles and find them both to be great shooters. So maybe the cost of a kit, receiver and labor will still be cheaper to buy the SAR..without the wait or the possible delays and drama of a retro fit.

Good Luck on your decision.

Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts