HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys, First time HK owner here. I have a 770 sporting rifle in 308 that is in great shape. Sure enough, I disassembled the rifle (it was filthy) to clean it, and I can't get it back together again. I finally figured out the complicated method used to properly join the bolt head and locking piece. I have instructions from the net, and when I finish putting the full bolt together, it looks exactly as it should, according to the pictures. BUT...when I put the bolt back into the lower receiver and slide it forward, I cant fully close the action. There is a gap of about 1/16th or so between the bolt carrier top and the chamber. Therefore the recoil spring and guide wont fit far enough in to be put back into the lower receiver. Something is wrong, but I cant figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure this is much help but here goes:

You say the spring / guide rod will not fit far enough to be put back into the lower receiver,
When reassembling:
Insert the spring / guide rod into the bolt carrier.

The other end of the spring / guide rod is not captured by anything at this point.

Install the receiver "cover".

As the receiver cover is being pulled forward by the socket head cap screw it (receiver cover) makes contact with the back portion of the sping /guide rod and applies a slight pressure when fully seated.

Also, when the bolt assembly is in battery there should be a slight gap, I dont recall the exact distance, approx 1mm between the bolt and bolt carrier, if this gap is not present that is a problem.

Sorry this probably is not much help.
Sounds like you are probably close and making a good call not to "force" items back together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally figured it out, after much trial and error. The instructions from the 770 manual are so basic; they leave stuff out that a person new to HK's needs to figure out himself. What threw me was the bolt carrier ( as opposed to the locking piece/bolt head combo) not needing to fit flush to the receiver ring. It's the upper receiver cover that fits flush. And even that was a struggle to figure out. I have alot of experience with Garands, M1as, Rugers, M1 carbines,etc, which are all quite different from the 770 set up. I thought a Ljungman/Hakim was different, well, an HK sure is different. Beautiful piece of design and craftsmanship, however. ( I do have the HK gap, so I'm ready to head to the range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts