HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 trigger that has been worked by Bill Springfield. The trigger was working great for about a year then I started to have problems. What it is doing is after the hammer resets it is slugglish returning to the ready to fire position. It is the 1/8-1/4" travel that the hammer makes back up after it has been pushed down and the trigger released. Can anyone help? Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have you considered sending it back to Bill Springfield. Most good gunsmiths stand behind their work. Although your problem could have nothing to do with his trigger job.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it has anything to do with the trigger job. It worked fine for a year or more. I just want to see if it is something that I can fix myself.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
I have a 94 trigger that has been worked by Bill Springfield. The trigger was working great for about a year then I started to have problems. What it is doing is after the hammer resets it is slugglish returning to the ready to fire position. It is the 1/8-1/4" travel that the hammer makes back up after it has been pushed down and the trigger released. Can anyone help? Thanks
I'll try, just need you to clarify a few things. You say it's slow to return after the hammer has been pushed down and the trigger released. So you mean that after you shoot it, and keep holding the trigger back, that when you release the trigger to shoot it again, there is a delay before it will actually reset so it can be fired again. Is that right?

If so, check these few things first -
Take out the hammer spring and see if the hammer itself is binding down low somehow. It should pivot around it's axle very easily with no effort at all.

Also, check the disconnector/sear interface - it's a little block of metal that is pinned to the back of a bracket that's attached to the trigger. This block catches on the top of the sear after each shot. When you release the trigger, this block drops down to under the sear so that when the trigger is pulled again, it now lifts the back of the sear up, which pulls it away from the hammer notch. If the disconnector is not smoothly releasing and then re-engaging under the sear, it might cause your problem.

Here's how it's supposed to work - after you fire, the disconnector gets around behind the sear, and when the hammer is pushed back down, the disconnector is holding the sear in it's forward most position (the sear pivot hole is actually a slot so it can slide forward and backward slightly). Because of this, the hammer is held down in it's lowest position. When you release the trigger, the disconnector drops under the sear, and the spring tension of the hammer pushes the sear to it's rearward position, which lets the hammer come up that short distance you're talking about. It's then in the ready to fire position again. If that is happening slowly, then most likely either the hammer is dragging, the sear is dragging, or the disconnector isn't disengaging correctly.

Check those out and let me know if you find anything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I wonder if it could be a worn hammer spring? I have a 308 one I can change it out with to check this.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
Thanks. I wonder if it could be a worn hammer spring? I have a 308 one I can change it out with to check this.
I can see how a worn hammer spring might give some light primer strikes, but I don't think it could cause the hammer to reset noticeably slower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts