HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to qualify today.

Used my p 2000 in 9mm which has over 15,000 rounds through it. Like last time during tactical reloads. The mag floorplate would begin to slide off mag body. This is due to the very shallow floorplate release button. Was dropped on bare concrete. I am 6' 1".

Tried my P30 15rd 9mm mag in the P2000 which ran it flawlessly. But then, the floorplate on the P30 mag was also beginning to jump halfway out! This P30 mag is almost new. The problem P2000 mag is old and an original with the gun mag. Other than having to snap the flooplates back in place, gun ran flawlessly, at 2 yrs, without cleaning.

Am going to contact Hk as this floorplate button is WAY too shallow. Id figure a bead of adhesive silicone caulk, between the lower mag spring plate and the inner part of the finger groove floorplate will solve the prob completely.

On a lighter note, was only perfect score in somewhat difficult qual...

Any advice or knowledge is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Strange situation for your mags. I take mine apart after every range session and after each stage in matches (due to dropping them on the concrete, and the dirt exposure on outdoor ranges) and brush them with an Arredondo brush. I have dropped full mags, and empties many times and never noticed the floor plates coming off.

Perhaps the plates are getting worn down and failing? Curious to hear what HK says.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can even reproduce this prob. But think when it gets warmed from shooting a qual. Then the afterwards 'fun' drills and all, the mag floorplates just want to walk off the mag body. This included the hard fingergroove floorplate, the rubberised fingergroove flooplate and even the newer P30 15rd 9mm mag!

I think it maybe a serious issue especially with that mag running in 3 guns, the sk, P2000, USPc's.

Bottom line I think, is the floorplate release button tab is WAY WAY too shallow, then drop empties on concrete several times and it worms loose. Then I not knowingly picked up mag which had a couple rounds for reload. Mag exploded apart when inserting into weapon. Spring flew out, bullets all fell out. Was embarrassing and disturbing. And YES, I will be in contact w Hk if it kills me.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Can't say I've had this problem with my P2000 mags through 18,000+ rounds and 6 classes.

I'm not completely understanding how they're sliding off. Why is the button being depressed? I'll try to recreate this as well.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
When you say they are starting to walk off, do they actually get to the point where the button is depressed and under the floorplate to a point? I haven't run my P2000 that hard, but I run my USP pretty well and I have never seen that issue with either of them. Definitely interested in what HK has to say.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most of the time the floorplates would slide half way off as I caught onto it and can see them laying on the concrete floor. Then id pick it up and snap it back into place. This would happen w rubberised, hard plastic, P30 mag, empty mag or partial, newer, middle aged, old original mags. Still same prob. We qualify 4 x's per yr. This mag problem started 2 yrs ago, at least, got slightly worse today. Gun is bought in 2005.

I'll take pics if I have to.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Most of the time the floorplates would slide half way off as I caught onto it and can see them laying on the concrete floor. Then id pick it up and snap it back into place.
I had the same thing happen to a 9mm P2000 mag during training last month. But it was only one mag out of several that were repeatedly ejected onto the concrete range floor. I've never had that happen before, and I've been shooting a P2000 for seven years.

What I find most interesting is that it happened exactly the same way as you experienced--the floorplate was found to be halfway off, and all I had to do was slide it back until the button locked it into place again. I can only speculate that a hard drop onto concrete at just the right angle caused the button to momentarily jar loose just as the impact was pushing the floorplate forward.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have never had this problem with either my P2000 or P30 (both 9mm), but then again I don't drop them onto the floor!

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
I have seen this with my P2000SK mags on a few occurrences when running drills. But I wouldn't call it a design flaw, personally. I've got some P30 mags that have been through hell and back and never a problem with the base plates.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
This is actually common with some of the earlier magazines though I don't know how to particularly identify the bad vs the good. The "trick" is to ALWAYS confirm that the baseplate is seated properly (by using your thumb) BEFORE you re-insert it into the magazine well. Just make it part of your routine when you pick them up off the ground.

Though I've never seen the baseplate come all the way off, it slides off just enough (fraction of an inch) to interfere with reloading and clearing.

At this juncture, it would be interesting to see what HK says regarding this "issue", as I believe the origins of this occur in the initial stage of the P2000 intoduction (from the USPc).

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke directly with Hk and at length, regarding this issue this morning. I explained in detail this prob, also for warranty purposes. The service rep was very helpful and we both concluded that the mag springs maybe part of the prob, which is not covered under warranty as a wear item. My P2000 9mm gets EXTENSIVE useage.

I discussed w Hk the prob of the 'shallow' button floorplate and I theorised that a weak mag spring may contribute to floorplate separation., during tactical reloads and such.

Hk advised me they are already aware of this potential prob and that I was not the 1st one with this prob. Hk aleady stated the re-design to the 'rubberised' floorplates due to the earlier hardplates possibly cracking during reloads.

Hk advised me that these issues will be sent to the engineers in Germany as well as same said issues from other people who have experienced this prob.

My mags are all from 2006-2010 for the P2000 9mm.

I have experienced this prob w OLD original mags w hard floorplates AS WELL AS newer mags w soft floorplates. Most every mag, used or not used often has encountered this prob of flooplate separation. Including my P30 9mm 15 rd mag I use for range only w roughly 300 rounds thru it. The P30 mag is never kept loaded in storage.

Anyway Hk was very helpful and I appreciated their support. Only other warranty issue is one of my original mags for the P2000 9mm experienced slight separation at the 'zipper' weld on the top by the feed lips. That mag does qualify for warranty replacement.

·
Banned
219 Posts
Zero issues with my P30 mags, and I beat them like they owe me money.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm noticing it happen roughly once out of every dozen officers that qualify. They are not shifting out of place enough to really notice, but enough that it gets in the way of fully seating the mag. I hadn't considered spring fatigue, but now looking back it makes sense. This has actually been a somewhat recent development, after keeping many of them loaded constantly for five years or more.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I already had and solved the issue with one of mine (used one)...its the mag spring, pure and simple....

Banging it on the concrete only loosens the floorplate if there isn't enough spring tension on the follower--the slight gap is enough to shift the tension off the floorplate a *poof* your floorplate does the moonwalk!

You should be changing your mag springs at regular intervals anyhow (I'm doing mine every 36 months, a couple at a time) probably more often if they're left loaded or as stated being used a lot....

As far as the 'flawed design' I agree the button could be better set, however I do like the fact I don't need to grow a 3rd arm to strip down my magazines...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had this issue pop up in competition many times when dropping partially loaded mags on a hard surface. All different kinds of mags but never with HK's. I don't doubt it could happen. I keep range/competition mags and carry mags and don't mix their uses. Maybe a change of mag springs?
Best,

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
My original P30 mags that came with the pistol are 5k+ rounds deep and i have NEVER cleaned them. I shake them off and brush off any exterior dirt, but never taken them apart. Probably due for a cleaning lol....

I noticed one of my P2000sk mags has a little play at the floor plate but ain't coming off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts