HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered an "extended" (HK45c) mag release for my USP .40 from HKParts, description said for all USP series pistols. I don't have much of a problem with the stock one as my fingers are long enough to manipulate the release with my thumb and trigger finger without changing my grip, but bigger is better right? My Part came in, I had also ordered a new spring and roll pin for it, I figured change one part, change them all right? First trip to range yesterday to try it out (keep in mind I loaded 18 Jet Funnel magazines to shoot, even with a maglula this takes awhile). Load mag, pull trigger, gun goes bang, magazine is on the floor. Get range master to retrieve my mag, I figured I didn't have the mag fully seated. Re-insert magazine, check, try to pull mag out manually- it is locked in place. Pull trigger, gun goes bang, mag on floor again. Unless I cup and saucered the mag would come out every time I fired. Checked with armorer at the range he said either a bad/weak spring (even if it was brand new) or that release is no good for the jet funnel mags. Has anyone here had a similar experience like this???

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When my grip is off I have hit the mag release when the gun recoils. Perhaps the bigger surface is being hit?
No I thought so too. Two range masters and myself had same out come. I even purposely held the gun with two fingers and a thumb of my left hand toward bottom 1/4 of grip and pressed the trigger with my trigger finger tip only to make sure I was not hitting it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
That's just weird. Any marks on the mags?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's just weird. Any marks on the mags?
Nothing out of the ordinary. I did however switch back to the original release and will try that out tomorrow. I noticed that side by side comparison the 45c release has about half the surface area width that he standard release does. When I had gotten home and checked things out, it seemed that there was a rattle/almost looseness with the mag inserted. After I changed back to the standard no more rattle or movement. I think maybe the 45c release is not a good match for the jet funnel mags? I will investigate further tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue with my full size USP40 with standard mags though, not jet funnel. Doesnt do it necessarily on the first shot, but definitely after the second or third. On the other hand, it works flawlessly with no modifications necessary for my P2000SK. Best buy so far for my P2000, and will be for my USP as well, once i get the issue worked out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This thread is old, but likely worth revisiting. I have the same issue with an unmodified P30. Fill mag, one or two shots and the magazine laying at my feet. Since it was virtually brand new, sent it in to H&K as I have heard good things about the company and its customer service, but H&K would rather blame the issue on the shooter and the grip than take any ownership or acknowledge this as what it is, an engineering mistake.

Kudos to the folks that haven't experienced this issue with 90 million rounds shot just today through your H&K and no, I'm not changing my grip, is perfect and doesn't happen on any other weapon I have ever owned, which is a lot.

I'm not opposed to changing my grip and shooting style, if it were wrong and I wasn't shooting very well.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
This thread is old, but likely worth revisiting. I have the same issue with an unmodified P30. Fill mag, one or two shots and the magazine laying at my feet. Since it was virtually brand new, sent it in to H&K as I have heard good things about the company and its customer service, but H&K would rather blame the issue on the shooter and the grip than take any ownership or acknowledge this as what it is, an engineering mistake.

Kudos to the folks that haven't experienced this issue with 90 million rounds shot just today through your H&K and no, I'm not changing my grip, is perfect and doesn't happen on any other weapon I have ever owned, which is a lot.

I'm not opposed to changing my grip and shooting style, if it were wrong and I wasn't shooting very well.
Not really the same issue as using an HK45C mag release in a USP9 or USP40 with polymer mags the HK45C mag catch was not designed to lock in. There are geometry differences between the HK45C mag release and the standard USP9/40 mag release that cause that issue.

Your P30 issue does sound like a grip problem. It appears HK said there was nothing mechanically wrong with the P30 when you sent it in. Have you tested the P30, not worrying about hitting a target, with a modified grip where your fingers are nowhere near the mag release? This would determine if your grip is causing the issue. If so, then you can either choose to modify your grip or use a different pistol.

No offense, but your post reads to me that your grip is the issue but you don't want to accept that and would rather blame HK instead of changing your grip or using a different pistol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not really the same issue as using an HK45C mag release in a USP9 or USP40 with polymer mags the HK45C mag catch was not designed to lock in. There are geometry differences between the HK45C mag release and the standard USP9/40 mag release that cause that issue.

Your P30 issue does sound like a grip problem. It appears HK said there was nothing mechanically wrong with the P30 when you sent it in. Have you tested the P30, not worrying about hitting a target, with a modified grip where your fingers are nowhere near the mag release? This would determine if your grip is causing the issue. If so, then you can either choose to modify your grip or use a different pistol.

No offense, but your post reads to me that your grip is the issue but you don't want to accept that and would rather blame HK instead of changing your grip or using a different pistol.
No offense taken, I just don't see how folks can say it's a user (grip) issue? I have owned 23 handguns throughout the years from various manufacturers and never have I seen this issue until H&K introduced the "extended paddle".

I would think if it were a "grip issue" that maybe the issue would have surfaced in some capacity in the past 30 years on another weapon.

So I have owned 23 handguns, active shooter for ~30 years, without a single issue during fire (other than the normal FTF & FTF) H&K releases a poorly designed magazine release and all of a sudden "I" have a bad grip?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Shoot it with only one hand. Strong hand. See if it happens then. If the mag does not drop then that would indicate that you need to modify your grip, grip backs tea & panels too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
@Hunter rose - I fully agree with you in that it isn't an issue with the USP's or even the P2000's, I have owned both if those, shot very well with them and they have the older style magazine release that doesn't have as much surface area as the Titanic.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Your grip isn't working man. Squeeze hard with your support hand, my guess is it's probably not doing much right now.

Is your gun shooting almost flat? How much muzzle rise do you have? It's not so much a problem with limp rusting causing it, it's what you're doing with your support hand. You are hitting the release. Regardless, this incident has revealed there is a possible flaw in your technique. Even though mags only drop from these HK's, your grip is still likely breaking in others platforms as well.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
I couldn't go two rounds without dropping a mag when i got my first 45c.
I changed my grip and it hasn't happened since.
If i had to put money on it its your grip dude. ..

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
What amazes me about these threads is the fact that the originators are completely oblivious to the fact that the rest of us (to include my five-foot-nothing wife) shoot our various HK pistols quite a bit without any issues. Yet, when they have issues, its due to crappy design/workmanship.

And when they are shown how a few others had the same issue as them, and cured it via changing the way they handled the pistol, they become indignant… how DARE we question their manliness/shooting experience, etc./etc./ad nauseum.

Its true… the internet truly is better than TV.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
What amazes me about these threads is the fact that the originators are completely oblivious to the fact that the rest of us (to include my five-foot-nothing wife) shoot our various HK pistols quite a bit without any issues. Yet, when they have issues, its due to crappy design/workmanship.

And when they are shown how a few others had the same issue as them, and cured it via changing the way they handled the pistol, they become indignant… how DARE we question their manliness/shooting experience, etc./etc./ad nauseum.

Its true… the internet truly is better than TV.

Agreed. Lots of people take this stuff way too personally. Just because a certain gun does not work for their personal grip technique/handsize does not mean they need to immediately assume it is an attack on their competency and then lash out by labeling it an engineering issue. Not all tools work for everyone.

Case in point, I shoot a P30, HK45, USP Fullsize just fine. However, I can't shoot a USP 9mm Compact worth crap. For whatever reason, my combination of grip/handsize/trigger reach, I always pushed shots left of the target with the USP compact. I don't blame the gun though, some things just aren't meant to be.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
No offense taken, I just don't see how folks can say it's a user (grip) issue? I have owned 23 handguns throughout the years from various manufacturers and never have I seen this issue until H&K introduced the "extended paddle".

I would think if it were a "grip issue" that maybe the issue would have surfaced in some capacity in the past 30 years on another weapon.

So I have owned 23 handguns, active shooter for ~30 years, without a single issue during fire (other than the normal FTF & FTF) H&K releases a poorly designed magazine release and all of a sudden "I" have a bad grip?

If 30 years of firearms has not taught you that putting in a part that is designed and meant for a specific gun, and placing into another firearm that it wasn't designed for won't potentially cause issues, or at least require some fitting, then i question your experience.

A paddle mag comes with a huge bonus and slight down side. The bonus is ease of ambi use and for most the ability to eject a mag without completely breaking your grip on the pistol. The downside is some people have the issue of hitting the mag release when they shoot. Which is no different then with a Sig or VP9 when you shoot with a certain grip, you can cause the slide to not lock back on the last round. Your understanding of this issue doesn't seem to go beyond your ability to see past your 30 years. If that is the case then no one can help you, because you refuse to listen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts