HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow... bummer... my new night sights are busted... :(

I shot about 150 rounds or so on my USP 45 Tactical a few weeks ago, and everything was just fine... no problems at all.

I took it home and cleaned it immediately, the same way I do all of my pistols... I do a very mild clean job (just enough to remove all soiling and fouling from all parts) and very lightly lubricate and grease where necessary, and wipe it down real well with a silicon cloth. I save the detail-strip deep cleanings for a once-a-year meditational thing... don't ask. :)

So, anyway... last night I took her out of the gun safe and realized that I could barely see the dot on the front sight in a well lit room. It looks all dark and hazy and as-if the white outer ring has disappeared a little bit. Curious, I then turned off the light, and noticed that the glow was barely there at all.

WTF?

I called Meprolight today, and the guy told me, "If the site is not installed correctly, the lens can turn opaque" and "Just to let you know, it's probably not covered under warranty."

Great. :rolleyes:

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? Is it even possible that a site could function flawlessly for a month and then suddenly turn bad if it wasn't installed correctly?

I'm doing my best to remain calm until I receive the "verdict" from Meprolight, but I have to admit that I'm a little miffed that you can pay $130 for a set of sights that were designed for tactical applications and they can be so damn fragile.

Grrrr... :mad:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have not had that problem before but I put a set of Truglo TFO sights on my XD 45 and the second time I shot it the front sight broke in half. I sent the slide to Truglo and they said it was from how it was installed. They put a new front and rear on and didn't charge me anything. I have to say I was happy with the service! I hope Meporlight takes care of you, even if its an install issue if it was installed by a Mep distributior they should back it up or the place who put them on should cover the cost. You should not be out a dime in my opinion.

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts