HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend recently acquired a like-new 630. It had been a safe queen and only test fired more than 20 years ago. I know the history of the rifle and can verify it's as new status. My friend took his newly acquired 630 to the range and only about half of the cartridges would fire. I was present. I noticed that the problem stemmed from the action failing to fully close each time. The bolt assembly would hang up within 1/16" of fully coming all of the way forward, and when the trigger was pulled the firing pin would not hit the primer.

This phenomenon would occur often even when closing the action w/o cartridges, so it's not an ammo problem. I disassembled the bolt assembly and could detect no areas of where it may be rubbing due to tight tolerances. The bolt assembly and chamber were very clean. The rollers moved easily.

I have an SL6 and removed my bolt assembly and placed in his 630. The action closes each time it's released. I then placed the 630 bolt assembly into the SL6 and it closes consistently. But when I place the original 630 bolt assembly back into his 630, then it again fails to close most of the time.

I'm baffled and seeking guidance as to what the remedy may be. I've owned several 630s and SL6s over the years and they just seem to shoot and shoot, clean or not, cold or hot. What do I need to look at to get my friend's 630 up and running?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ammo was both South African 55 gr. FMJ and a reload of mine with H322 and a Sierra 52 gr. JHP bullet (all brass full length resized). However, the problem occurs when both trying to fire cartridges as well as closing the bolt on an empty chamber. So it's not ammo related. When I initially disassembled the bolt assembly, it was very clean (and dry). I lubricated it freely thinking that was the problem, but it made no difference.

I don't know the history regarding WD-40 for his particular rifle. But I have used WD-40 on mine to chase out moisture and followed up with CLP without any issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bolt assembly hk 630

Help-
I'm new old stock to this forum. Major problem! I recently acquired a 630 and I was cleaning the rifle and I disassembled the bolt. I can't assemble it properly. It will go together, but the rollers will not depress in. I have tried everything. Anyone that knows the trick please let me know.
Thanks,
Tom
[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a similar recent issue with my newly bought but well used 630. Put about a dozen rounds through it this weekend, and had two misfires, in which the firing pin did not reach the primer. Never on the first round, which made me think it was a problem with the blowback mechanism. Will investigate further.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm trying to think if i saw this possibly on a 770 or my 630.... like when one of them had the receiver cover incorrectly installed.... been a long time.

otherwise, i'd be looking for physical stuff (crap in the locking roller recesses, chunk of something on the breech face) in the way or incorrectly assembled bolt/carrier. check and see if the prob goes away if you pull the mag (tough to see that being the problem...but possible...especially if you were to rest the gun on a 10-round magazine forcing it too far into the gun.

for it not to close on an empty chamber really shines out as the big indicator... those things really slam closed and would take a lot to make it not close

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.