Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 379 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I found myself a project for the year. Instead of shooting a lot of different guns this year, I have decided I am going to try to shoot my P2000 until it breaks.

Here is the idea...

1. Shoot, at a minimum 5-600 rounds through it per week.
2. Clean according to factory recommendations.
3. Shoot it under all conditions (rain, snow (yeah right), etc).
4. Carry it every day.
5. Do a lot of dry firing (with snap cap).
6. Do a lot of presentations
7. Shoot competition with it.

Basically, I plan to shoot about 30k through the gun this year. I want to see if the P2000 can take it. I'll wager it can.

I will not be doing "torture tests," as I think they are generally dumb. I will clean the gun regularly, because it is designed to be cleaned. I want to see what the life expectancy of this gun is, when maintained by an adult. :410:

Anyway, a few questions...

1. How often should I replace the captive spring?
2. How often should I replace the plastic doohickey.

I want to replace these items conservatively, but nor obsessively. I want to give the gun a fighting chance.

GHB

·
Registered
600 Posts
Much luck to ya....

I'd be curious since I have 2 P2000's. My 9mm is at roughly 7500+ rounds.

I wouldn't worry so much for the gun as for the USP compact mags. Watch for the metal to split at the feed lips on the top back-end of the mags...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, I have 6 mags. I will clean and rotate them regularly. How often should I replace the springs, to be fair to the gun?

BTW, the project started yesterday. I have 400 rounds through it in the last two days. Tomorrow I will add 200 more if Wal-mart is willing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hmmm...that's a good question, I don't know, but I'm sure you'll find out. My P2K 9mm is BONE stock except for Mepro's (which HK uses anyway).

The round count on the 9mm is 7500+ but I was using 3 mags the whole time. I never had a prob and use it for work & CCW and it takes a beating. I never had any issues with my HK mag springs. But I'd recommend you keep it scientific and use was the gun was born with from the factory and see what gives away 1st, if any.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Good luck with the torture test and keep us updated although I am pretty sure you won't run into any problems. Just curious to what trigger it has, LEM or V3?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LEM

·
Registered
134 Posts
Looking forward to this.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Allright, I might do some torture testing...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL, that pic on the bottom was actually taken with another P2000 years ago. I won't be doing that this time, except by accident.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
My P2000 is over 15000 rounds, 4 mags (16rd euro mags) used most of the time. Gun have some 4 years. I never replaced anything, neither in the gun and in the magazines. Never had failure. And I cleaned it usualy every some 500-3000 rounds. Good luck with testing.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I added 200 rounds of Winchester "white box," 50 more rounds of Blazer, 50 rounds of ancient Remington +P hollowpoints (my last! Sniff, I have had a bunch of that for years), 40 rounds of Corbon (115 and 125), 20 rounds of 124 grain Short barrel hollow point Gold dot, and about 10 other rounds. To humor myself, I mixed and matched the ammo in the mags. The P2000 could care less. I also duplicated a test I did with and earlier P2000, in which I flopped the gun around in my hand a lot (one handed) to try to cause a malfunction. Nothing.

When I got home, I cleaned the gun with rem-oil, some bore solvent, a tooth brush and a 9mm Hoppes brush (brass). I did not go nuts, I just sprayed it, brushed it, reamed the barrel 12-15 passes and cleaned up.

I have also numbered my mags to keep up with them. Mags 1-3 did all the work today.

There probably won't be another update until Friday.

Greg

·
Banned
366 Posts
I'm upto 10,000 or so rounds on my P2000 .40 cal V3, I wouldn't expect it to break any time soon.

I would like to think the HK P2000 can stand upto as much abuse as a GLOCK. Time will tell :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well, I shot 200 rounds of Winchester White Box and 100 rounds of Blazer through the P2000 today.

Today I added a wrinkle: I shot left handed only. I practiced a bunch of draws from right side IWB by reaching behind my back. I also reloaded with the gun between my legs. I dropped it twice!! One time the slide dropped and loaded the round when it hit. Of course, the P2000 could care less. Not a scratch. Also note, the ambi slide release can be activated if you squeeze the slide too hard with your knees. If you don't have the mag in then you have to rack the slide one handed! That is a bee-atch.

Also note, I have decided I am only going to clean the gun once per weekend. That means I will be going approximately 600 rounds between cleanings. Not a torture test, I just don't feel like cleaning it two or three days in a row.

Final note: The trigger pull has dropped a bit. It was 7.9 pounds new. It is now 7.2. That is a considerable drop!!

That was a fun day at the range. :)

P.S. I also shot an FS 2000 today. I really want one. I think I may want it more than I want a SIG 556. Hmm...

Day :6

Total: 1070 rounds

Malfunctions: 0

Dropped: 2

I have dropped the snap caps. Dry firing will be sans snap cap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After all of your test I should know what to expect out of my P-2000.
*You can also "Rack" you slide on the side of holster (if it's plastic-Blackhawk) by the rear sight. This is if you were one-handed in a gun fight. I would not practice that too much, because you may lose your rear sight.:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is making me want a P2000.......

Not that I needed a hell of a lot of convincing.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Guys,

I found myself a project for the year. Instead of shooting a lot of different guns this year, I have decided I am going to try to shoot my P2000 until it breaks.

Here is the idea...

1. Shoot, at a minimum 5-600 rounds through it per week.
2. Clean according to factory recommendations.
3. Shoot it under all conditions (rain, snow (yeah right), etc).
4. Carry it every day.
5. Do a lot of dry firing (with snap cap).
6. Do a lot of presentations
7. Shoot competition with it.
If you want to work on that snow thing, I'll give you the address of my license holder. Just remember to send the ammo, too. :410:

1 - 20 of 379 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.