HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't like the look of the 40 round ProMags, but decided to get a few of the 30 rders when they became available. I have not field tested these, but they seem like decent quality mags.

Lock up easily in both my factory 93 and V53 and cannot be pulled out without disengaging the mag catch (read that some 40s could be pulled out of the well). They don't drop free, but are easy to remove once the mag catch is disengaged.

They actually lock up nice in the 53, which the MKE polymags will not. Follower does not tilt when pushed down and the spring seems pretty strong. Unfortunately I won't have time to field test these for at least a month due to my wife's work schedule and the kids sports, but here are some pics:

As seen in this pic, the ProMag is only slightly longer than a factory 93 mag.

Here is a view of the follower and feedlips and the upper side with the mag catch recess:

Here are two pics in my V53:

These appear to be well worth the $17 if they function properly. Someone please test these!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've got 2 inbound, I ordered them 8 days ago, but still don't have em, I didn't really think it would take 7 business days to go from Nevada to Michigan. Hopefully, today, as soon as I get them I'll test em.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've got 2 inbound, I ordered them 8 days ago, but still don't have em, I didn't really think it would take 7 business days to go from Nevada to Michigan. Hopefully, today, as soon as I get them I'll test em.
Who did you order from? I ordered mine directly from Promag and it only took 5 business days to TX. Sorry, no range report, still waiting on my stamp so I can build a 33K.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Who did you order from? I ordered mine directly from Promag and it only took 5 business days to TX. Sorry, no range report, still waiting on my stamp so I can build a 33K.
Build the 33K with the extra long flash hider HK Parts sells. Once you have the stamp, pull the extended FH. I'm sure if you were careful, if you don't want the extended FH you could sell it for a few bucks less than you paid for it. YMMV.

Scott

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
A year or two ago, on another thread, I speculated that the recent build of all those Malaysian kit guns would create enough of a market for third party vendors to start making some 33/93/53 mags. Looks like that is taking place. Good to hear it.

Thanks for posting the review. Please add the follow-up information on performance to the OP when you get around to it. Good pictures and good comparisons.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well guys good news and bad news, my mags did indeed arrive late today, I was expecting USPS but they came UPS which gets to my casa much later in the day, I wonder why I never got a tracking number, that's the good news.

Bad news is, they latch in but if you apply any forward pressure on the back of mag they pop right out.

I decided to sacrifice one mag and I deepened and opened the latch slot in an attempt to get a better lockup, but alas no joy.

I have come to the conclusion the mags are to narrow to properly engage the mag catch and need to shifted towards the mag catch.

Another poster in another thread, stated he put black duct tape on the mag opposite the latch and they locked and fed perfectly.

On my rifle if you pull straight down they will stay locked. I'm gonna try the tape solution, but in the end I may super glue a thin spacer, maybe kydex to the mag to locate it properly.

You'd think as many mags as ProMag makes they could make them dimensionally correct, but that can be a challenge with molded plastic, even MagPul has struggled with this and they often say it's due to improper cooling after removal from the die.

I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Got back to play with this tonight.

I applied two layers of standard electrical tape to the side of the mag opposite the latch.

The mag that I had modified by opening the mag catch pocket locked right up and I was unable to remove it other than by pressing the mag release.

On the mag I had not modified, I discovered that with the tape on it the mag catch would not seat into the mag catch pocket, I removed approximately 1 mm from the forward edge of the mag catch pocket and the mag locked up tightly.

I will be going to the range tomorrow and I'll give a report on whether they feed reliably.

If they do my, conclusions as they relate to my rifle are this, the mags are too narrow in the the width dimension by approximately 2/3 thicknesses of electrical tape and the mag catch pocket is to shallow by aprroximately 1 mm on the long depth.

I'll get some photos up in the next few days.

My recommendation currently is if they feed they are worth modifing to work, as always YMMV!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bad news is, they latch in but if you apply any forward pressure on the back of mag they pop right out..
I must have been lucky as I ordered five more, and all ten seat perfectly in both guns and can't be yanked out of the mag well. I wonder if there are variations in different batches of these mags (e.g., molded in different molds, etc.)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Markus-
Not likely a different mold, but it could very well be issues with how each batch of mags is cooled after removal from he mold, additionally, you are fortunate enough to have factory HK's. I'm dealing with a Hesse revc C93. One question tho, how much lateral play do the mags have in you guns? I'd like to think the C93 magwell is close to spec as the factory 40 rd mag fits snugly and has almost no play.

·
Registered
358 Posts
A year or two ago, on another thread, I speculated that the recent build of all those Malaysian kit guns would create enough of a market for third party vendors to start making some 33/93/53 mags. Looks like that is taking place. Good to hear it.
I agree, but was hoping it would be the Koreans first.

I don't trust ProMag.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Markus-
Not likely a different mold, but it could very well be issues with how each batch of mags is cooled after removal from he mold, additionally, you are fortunate enough to have factory HK's. I'm dealing with a Hesse revc C93. One question tho, how much lateral play do the mags have in you guns? I'd like to think the C93 magwell is close to spec as the factory 40 rd mag fits snugly and has almost no play.
From what I recall, I don't think there was any noticeable lateral play in either magwell. The rifle is factory and the pistol has a Vector/SW receiver. I will check tonight and confirm.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Range report!

Mags feed perfectly, a couple mag dumps and some slow fire, no issues. Definetely worth playing around with.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great news Mitzelj!

I checked the lateral fit on my 93 and 53 and there's no play with any of the mags.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got two 30rd mags today. They both lock up just fine. The HK metal mags have more wiggle. Next is range testing.
So far I am happy with these mags.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts