HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper way to release the slide? I was recently at a gun dealer looking at a M&P40 VTAC and while holding the handgun in my right hand I used my right hand thumb to pull down the slide lock to release the slide and allow the slide to slide forward without using my opposite hand to brake the slide as it slid forward. After I did this, the dealer asked that I not do that again because it is hard on the gun. Note: There wasn't a magazine in the gun.

1. If this is hard on the gun and it has nothing to do with the magazine not being present, what's difference with what I did vs the slide sliding forward after firing the gun and the slide sliding forward?
2. If this is hard on the gun, does this apply to similar handguns?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Best way is to use your right thumb to release the slide and then your left hand to help ease the slide forward. When you are not chambering a round, and you let the slide slam forward, it is hard on the action and can potentially cause damage.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Dropping the slide unrestrained by a round being chambered isnt going to do any damage if done occasionally. When/if it is your gun, you can play with it any way you want. Its the same as 'slamming" the cylinder closed on a revolver by flipping your wrist, also a VERY bad thing to do if you dont own it. The dealer simply does not want any wear/impact evidence on a pistol he is trying to sell.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dropping the slide unrestrained by a round being chambered isnt going to do any damage if done occasionally.
If done occasionally? Isn't the slide unrestrained after firing the gun and the next cartridge is chambered? Did you mean without a cartridge?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I always pull back slide instead of using slide release, heard from someone along time ago that's the way to go used to just slam the mag hard would do the same, never heard its hard on gun , how are you supposed to feel the trigger then

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best way is to use your right thumb to release the slide and then your left hand to help ease the slide forward. When you are not chambering a round, and you let the slide slam forward, it is hard on the action and can potentially cause damage.
I'm assuming this is because when a cartridge is chambered the slide is stopping on the cartridge and when a cartridge is not chambered the slide will stop on some component on the gun. Therefore, each time the slide slides forward unretrained hitting the component it will wear over time. Is this correct?

Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always pull back slide instead of using slide release, heard from someone along time ago that's the way to go used to just slam the mag hard would do the same, never heard its hard on gun , how are you supposed to feel the trigger then
Yeah, to ensure that the cartridge is seated and the slide is full forward. I was referring to releasing the slide without a cartridge.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Maybe I'm way off but it seems silly to treat a tank with kid gloves.

I can understand the dealer not wanting excess wear on a new item but I wont be babying my tools, IF and when they break I guess ill eat my words as they get sent to HK for repairs.

Sent from my ThunderBolt in the future - using Skynet

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
If you are chambering a round/reloading:

1) Reach over the top with your support hand, grab the slide behind the ejection port and pull the slide to the rear. Release an allow the full force of the recoil spring return the side to battery. Again this is with a seated, loaded mag for the purposes of loading.

2) Use either (depending on preference/technique) support or primary side thumb to engage the slide stop/release. NOTE: Some makes don't like this method as much as others. For example, the Glock reps will tell you it's a no-no.

Slide forward on an empty chamber:
It is always good to assist the slide forward on an empty chamber by riding the slide forward with your support hand. In weapons such as the 1911, letting the slide slam forward on an empty chamber can cause damage to the sear and make short work of your trigger job. I'm not sure of the effects on other guns/configurations, but THIS was not the intended use/engineering for the these types of pistols. They were meant to be cycled by fire with rounds or a magazine to lock back when empty. Again, I don't blame the dealer for wanting to protect his investment.

ALWAYS load from the magazine.

NEVER load by inserting a round directly into the chamber and releasing the slide. This is very hard on extractors (MMV depending on platform).

·
Registered
368 Posts
Slide forward on an empty chamber:
It is always good to assist the slide forward on an empty chamber by riding the slide forward with your support hand. In weapons such as the 1911, letting the slide slam forward on an empty chamber can cause damage to the sear and make short work of your trigger job. I'm not sure of the effects on either guns/configurations, but THIS was not the intended use/engineering for the gun. The gun was meant to be cycled by fire with rounds or a magazine to lock back when empty. Again, I don't blame the dealer for wanting to protect his investment.
That issue seems to be more prevalent in 1911s but in other semi-autos I've never heard of an issue of sear damage from having the slide go into battery with no round in chamber. If in doubt, buy some snap caps.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
It's bull pucky... sometimes mag hold opens don't work after the last round... and when they don't the gun slams that chamber closed much harder then you ever could and it doesn't harm it in the least.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Wether or not it is good for the pistol is irrelevent. He was at a gun show, handling a firearm that wasnt his, the dealer simply requested he not close the slide the way he did. It would be the same as a customer picking up and dry firing a .22 match firearm repeatedly. May or may not damage the chamber, but it is not yours to do what you please.

Believe it or not, there used to be a sort of gun show "etiquette", but its pretty much a thing of the past.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
Wether or not it is good for the pistol is irrelevent. He was at a gun show, handling a firearm that wasnt his, the dealer simply requested he not close the slide the way he did. It would be the same as a customer picking up and dry firing a .22 match firearm repeatedly. May or may not damage the chamber, but it is not yours to do what you please.

Believe it or not, there used to be a sort of gun show "etiquette", but its pretty much a thing of the past.
I understand that, being a former SOT dealer myself and never do abuse another persons guns, in fact rarely take them up on their offers to "handle" a firearm of theirs. I know what they feel like, and I'd feel like an arse pretending to look down the sights and all, and what exactly are you expected to do other than that? If it were me and I'm actually interested in said firearm, I'd be wanting to take it apart and get a good look at it, if you know what I mean. How many gun show dealers allow that? Zero? Zip? Nada? Fuggeadaboudit, already... and that's just another reason I don't bother with gun shows anymore, so no thank you. But you're sending me mixed siggies, bt. On one hand you say don't abuse the guys guns and on the other hand, the "etiquette" is gone or a thing of the past, so go ahead and do what you want?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Should have said "Believe it or not, there used to be a sort of gun show "etiquette", but its pretty much a thing of the past, and its a damn shame."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts