HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting conflicting reports on whether I can use +P's or +P+'s in my P7. I don't even care that much about +P's, but since a lot of the defense loads in 9mm are +P's, I wouldn't mind being able to try some out and buy 'em when they're cheap.

Can anyone settle this issue?

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
American factory name +P or +P+ is fine. Be warned it gets the gun much hotter(temperature) then regular pressure rounds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
European 9MM rounds are generally hotter than American 9MM rounds (standard velocity)...+Ps can be more in line with "standard" European rounds...+P+ have no SAAMI spec so the jury is out if they will work in your pistol...give some a try...I have used only standard and +P 124 Gr Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points and Remington 115 FMJ...no problems other than the heat issue...which isn't an issue as far as I'm concerned...
Bill

·
Registered
595 Posts
HK has said NATO rounds are OK. The manual says stay away from SMG ammo, which is usually +P+. Sounds to me like they advise +P is OK, but +P+ is not. But it's your gun...

·
Registered
153 Posts
European 9MM rounds are generally hotter than American 9MM rounds (standard velocity)...+Ps can be more in line with "standard" European rounds...+P+ have no SAAMI spec so the jury is out if they will work in your pistol...give some a try...I have used only standard and +P 124 Gr Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points and Remington 115 FMJ...no problems other than the heat issue...which isn't an issue as far as I'm concerned...
Bill

This is not longer true. Winchester Target ammo with 147 grain bullets go around 300 m/sek or 1000 fps, which is hotter than standard euro-loads. The same can be said about almost every Speer-ATK-Federal -standard pressure- self-defense load.

Even when it comes to fmj training ammo (Speer lawman for example) there are virtually no differences.

The US-Producers of ammo have learned quite a bit since the mid-80s. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
+P or +P+ will wear a P7M8 faster, but otherwise you should not have any problems.

+P+ in a P7M13 can cause the fired brass to jam tight in the chamber.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts