HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, H&K and forum newb here.

I just wanted to share my experience in case anyone is considering purchasing this, unless I received a defective unit then there is a pretty bad design flaw in it.

That flaw is in the way the device secures to the weapon via a tab on the pic rail. When the rail is screwed down to the compensator, the tab is supposed to slip into the first notch on the gun's rail and lock it in. However, the tab is very short and only clears the compensator body by maybe 1/64" - 1/32" which is not sufficient to secure it against the force of the expanding gas.

As a result, my brand new $160 compensator flew off the end of the pistol on the 4th round, doing a triple bounce off the concrete range floor and taking some nasty dings. It also did some slight damage to the polymer rail on the pistol where it basically ripped itself out.

After reading through comments on some video reviews, apparently I'm not the only person having issues with this device.

Some photos (for the archives):

First installed, happy times.
vp9 with compensator.jpg

The poorly designed locking tab:
lock tab 2.jpg

After taking a swan dive onto concrete:
compensator damage.jpg

Where it chewed up the polymer frame:
rail damage.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I received mine about two or three weeks ago. Took the screws out, pulled the plate off the bottom and pushed the compensator all the way on (very tight fit), until I could put the plate back on flush. Tightened the screws and put 100 rounds through it with no issues. Took the compensator off to clean the VP9 and it went on much easier the second time. The VP9 never had anything mounted to the rail previously so I'm guessing that's why the tight fit originally. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I just received one for my newly-minted P30L. Some instructions would have been nice.

I know that there's not much to it, but the fact is that it is SO TIGHT that, while I was trying to get it all the way on by hitting it with the heel of my hand, it actually ended up contacting the front of the slide. Fortunately, I can't see any damage to the finish. Needless to say, that would have been a pisser. I know it's like the New Car Syndrome, but still...

Anyway, just repositioning it forward slightly (so that the locking tab on the rail plate would let the rail go back on) was a MAJOR chore. I had to use a rubber hammer to 'drift' the compensator forward (and every once in a while the slide lock would trip, and the slide would close!)

Eventually, though, I got it into the exact, right, place and the rail plate has been reattached to the compensator, thus locking it to the old rail (hopefully).

Should I have lubed that thing before trying to get it on?? A little KY Jelly? I don't know how I'm going to get it off. It is tight!

Advice?

- s.west

p.s. Just kidding about the KY Jelly.

p.p.s. Like I said, even though it's the simplest of attachments, and appears to be self-explanatory, some instructions would have been nice. H&K, I'm looking at you.
Just sayin'

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hang on... Who makes this compensator?

I was under the impression that H&K made it.

No? HKParts?

- s.west

1 - 11 of 11 Posts