HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to clean and care for the walnut palmshelf grip from the PSG1 trigger group? Mine is getting pretty ratty and im worried about damaging the wood by cleaning it improperly.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
What is the best way to clean and care for the walnut palmshelf grip from the PSG1 trigger group? Mine is getting pretty ratty and im worried about damaging the wood by cleaning it improperly.
Never tried this on a PSG1 grip, but it works wonders for guitar fretboards. And I'm pretty sure us guitar guys are more picky about our fretboards that you will be about your PSG1 grip.

Naphtha .. i.e. Zippo lighter fluid.

It is gentle on typical wood finishes, will easily dissolve dirt and oils, and evaporates quickly so it doesn't expand the wood. It won't react with nylon, so a nylon bristled brush can be used to scrub into tight places, like the areas of the frets on a guitar, or the texturing on the grip.

Probably its overkill. A nylon brush and some soap and water would likely be just as good for your purposes.

·
Sheepdog in West Texas
1,730 Posts
Never tried this on a PSG1 grip, but it works wonders for guitar fretboards. And I'm pretty sure us guitar guys are more picky about our fretboards that you will be about your PSG1 grip.

Naphtha .. i.e. Zippo lighter fluid.

It is gentle on typical wood finishes, will easily dissolve dirt and oils, and evaporates quickly so it doesn't expand the wood. It won't react with nylon, so a nylon bristled brush can be used to scrub into tight places, like the areas of the frets on a guitar, or the texturing on the grip.

Probably its overkill. A nylon brush and some soap and water would likely be just as good for your purposes.

I was going to suggest using a new clean tooth brush (soft bristle). And as is said above, soap and water. Not much soap and not much water, a little at a time. Then use a CLEAN DRY cloth to remove the moisture.

Reactions: sickness

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
I was going to suggest using a new clean tooth brush (soft bristle). And as is said above, soap and water. Not much soap and not much water, a little at a time. Then use a CLEAN DRY cloth to remove the moisture.
Yup. Toothbrush will work.. nylon bristles :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I do not own said grip.... however I am a woodworker.

Cleaning depends on the finish. The wrong cleaner will remove the finish. For example Goof Off is great for grime, and people just assume it's harmless because they sell it at Publix, but it's actually acetone, and will eat water based finishes.

If its an oil finish (like many military arms), which uses no solvents usually to restore to like new condition. Steel wool, a cloth, and a some finishing oil.

Laquers, varnishes, and urethanes all have solvents that react with them. I have seen people clean their gun and then have runs down their stock.

When in doubt us a neutral method as mentioned above. Soap and water is great. Ballistol was mentioned which I use liberally (I also love the smell, its nostalgic). You can also test a hidden area if you have one that is not seen.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I do not own said grip.... however I am a woodworker. Ballistol was mentioned which I use liberally (I also love the smell, its nostalgic). You can also test a hidden area if you have one that is not seen.
that's funny you like the smell as most don't, but I agree it has an old wood shop smell I enjoy it and as you said it won't hurt anything on your rifle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts