HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an old PSP P7, with no gas piston. hole in frame has been sealed. Positive side: Does not get hot above trigger guard. Negative side: Kicks alittle harder, but functions fine. I NEED TO KNOW were to purchase a stronger recoil spring? I have made purchases from lone wolf, and numrich, to no avale. If you have any ideas, bring em on. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Last time I looked Wolff made 'em back about 10 years ago, got one for my PSP. Its the same spring as the P7m8 from them.

Never heard of someone running a P7 like that before.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
I purchased an old PSP P7, with no gas piston. hole in frame has been sealed. Positive side: Does not get hot above trigger guard. Negative side: Kicks alittle harder, but functions fine. I NEED TO KNOW were to purchase a stronger recoil spring? I have made purchases from lone wolf, and numrich, to no avale. If you have any ideas, bring em on. Thank you.
If it was mine, I'd be looking for another piston and a tool to open the cylinder back up instead of a heavier spring.

That just seems like it would be awfully hard on the frame and slide.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
WHAT THE HELL???? Who did that? Only Bruce Gray might be able to fix it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
WHAT THE HELL???? Who did that? Only Bruce Gray might be able to fix it.
Speaking of broken guns...shouldnt you be off trying to break one??

·
Registered
73 Posts
A functioning gas system makes it very pleasant to shoot. Dunno why someone maimed the gun this way... Hope it would be not too expensive to fix.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
A functioning gas system makes it very pleasant to shoot. Dunno why someone maimed the gun this way... Hope it would be not too expensive to fix.
And what would really concern me is that if the gun could have been designed to function properly with a stiffer spring and without the gas system, they'd have done it that way in the first place.

Compared to a heavier recoil spring, that piston gas system would be much more expensive to manufacture.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
You want Wolff, not Lone Wolf. Wolff is a gunspring company that's been around forever.

Lone Wolf sells Glock stuff.

Two different companies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Let me get this clear-
There is no gas piston or any gas locking system at all, correct?

Ummm, wouldn't that be like shooting a 1911 (or Sig or Glock or USP or...) with no locking mechanism?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Forgive me, but this post has "silly" written all over it. This pistol doesn't have one the of the most critical systems in place for it to function properly as designed. Simply getting a heavier spring instead of a full repair is like drinking an extra glass of milk a day to heal a broken leg instead of just going to the doctor to have it set. So what if you can hobble on it a little bit.

If you indeed bought a P7 with no gas system, I sure hope you got a good price, HRE.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
That is so strange. I would have trouble trusting a gun that was butchered like that. Take it to a good gunsmith and see what can be done about restoring it (ie re-installing a gas piston).

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think you should probably go with spending the money on getting your gas piston replaced and the cylinder repaired.

With that system gone, your p7 has lost an integral part of its operating cycle. The point of the gas delayed blowback is that the bolt remains "locked" to the barrel so that the case is supported by the chamber until gas pressures have gone down to a safe level, and with the system gone, you just have pure blowback.

I'm no expert (being a gun noob), but I figure you'll have an accident probably involving a ruptured case (or something of that ilk) sooner rather than later.

·
Super Moderator
2,831 Posts
new pistons are not to much, like $50-60 I think. then figure out what the heck is pluged in the hole....might just be epoxy or something

·
Registered
449 Posts
DO NOT FIRE THIS P7!!!!

HK designed the P7M8 to delay the blowback with the piston and the hole. Shooting it otherwise could be hazardous to your health. Heavier springs will just hold off the inevitable. One face should never meet ones slide.

The only reason I could think of to shoot this pistol is that it is a P7K3, which I believe is a simple blowback pistol.

JPG

·
Registered
325 Posts
DO NOT FIRE THIS P7!!!!

HK designed the P7M8 to delay the blowback with the piston and the hole. Shooting it otherwise could be hazardous to your health. Heavier springs will just hold off the inevitable. One face should never meet ones slide.

The only reason I could think of to shoot this pistol is that it is a P7K3, which I believe is a simple blowback pistol.

JPG
well he said it was a PSP, so it definitely wasn't designed to be a simple blowback. I don't have a P7K3, but I assume that all the centerfire rounds use gas retarded blowback, while (again, I assume) the .22 uses a different slide that is simple blowback. But nearly (if not) all .22 pistols use simple blowback because they don't generate as high case pressures as centerfires and thus don't need the blowback to be delayed.

But yea, I assume that without the gas delay, you'll run the risk of rupturing a case, which is dangerous. Because the gas delay slows the backwards movement of the slide, firing without it would result in the slide slamming back far harder than it would otherwise, shortening the lifetime of the slide or frame before they break, again dangerous.

In any rate, yea. Don't go for the quick fix. Spend the money to take it to a good gunsmith to restore the gun to the way it was intended to operate.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Im not a fan of the PSP series (personal preference) but anyone who would mutilate one like this is a sick bastard.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts