HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased one of CDNN's P7PSPs a month ago and have to admit... it is love at first sight, pun intended. I'm not sure where HK picked up these pistols, but the gun was like new when I got it and has functioned flawlessly. Great price, great gun, what's not to like. As for the heat, I wear a shooter's glove and run through 100 rounds, or more without discomfort. The past four trips to the range have been with the PSP. I have to break down and take the USP next weekend. The problem is that I'm having so much fun with the little P7, both my PSP and M8. I think it's the trigger, no... maybe it's the balance. Actually it's the fact that I can nail my target more consistently at greater distances than with my USP. What that tells me is that I need to spend more time with my USP than my P7. So many tools and so little time.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Take both to the rabge. Having fun is what it's all about after safety of course. If you shoot the P7 better what's so wrong with that? Of couse I also shoot the P7 better so I have to say that.:62:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Glad to hear you like your P7's!

Keep shootin'!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fine folks, I'm asking this question for my step-mother who has arthritic hands ... she has a hard time pulling the slide on virtually every weapon we have put in her hands and she is not into learning the safety switch setups we have shown her (I know I know please dont start!). I suggested a P7 and that got some attention actually. The question is how hard is the grip cocking mechanism to squeeze and would someone with arthritis find that "surprisingly easy" to squeeze or "surprisingly hard?" Thanks so much. (Uhh, you can infer from this post that I have never known the pleasure of putting a P7 in my hands, darrnit, I gotta do something about that!)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fine folks, I'm asking this question for my step-mother who has arthritic hands ... she has a hard time pulling the slide on virtually every weapon we have put in her hands and she is not into learning the safety switch setups we have shown her (I know I know please dont start!). I suggested a P7 and that got some attention actually. The question is how hard is the grip cocking mechanism to squeeze and would someone with arthritis find that "surprisingly easy" to squeeze or "surprisingly hard?" Thanks so much. (Uhh, you can infer from this post that I have never known the pleasure of putting a P7 in my hands, darrnit, I gotta do something about that!)
I bet she'd be able to squeeze the lever just fine.. the problem is that the P7 is really a pretty snappy little shooter. I'd venture a guess that it would not be pleasurable for someone with problematic hands and joints.

Ask Bruce Gray what many many thousands of rounds through an M13 has done to his wrist and hand!

·
Registered
133 Posts
A revolver would be best for her, unless a safety other than the DA pull is required.

To be honest my USPf .45 has the easiest slide to rack of all the semis I own. The PSP is in the middle ground.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both my wrists are shot with arthritis. As for the squeeze cocker... may not the best system for mom. I still manage just fine, but it takes a 12 pound squeeze to cock the weapon and as stated the pistol is a bit snappy. I'm only good for about 100 rounds before my wrists start bothering me. Racking the first round would be the real challenge for her though. She might be better off with a .38 Special in a small framed revolver. A lot depends on where she has the arthritis. Fingers, or wrists, or both? It's a tough call for someone that has real joint problems. Take her to a range that rents guns and let her try several different designs and calibers. Say .38 Special, 9mm and .380. I'm thinking the revolver is your mom's best bet. You're lucky, my mom won't even think about learning to use a handgun. By the way, you really need to give a P7 a try. They really are a hoot to shoot and so comfortable to carry. Every HK enthusiast really should have one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have to report much the same. I absolutely love the P7. I can't think of another gun on my short list to buy now. Nothing is going to top it. And for the first time I ran the target down to 50ft. I did okay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The question is how hard is the grip cocking mechanism to squeeze and would someone with arthritis find that "surprisingly easy" to squeeze or "surprisingly hard?" Thanks so much. (Uhh, you can infer from this post that I have never known the pleasure of putting a P7 in my hands, darrnit, I gotta do something about that!)
turbocruiser,

I really don't think she'd have trouble with the squeeze cocker (13lbs/1lbs) with 3 fingers but do recommend she try it before buying one. I feel she would have difficulty with racking the slide.
Even though I carry my P7 99% of the time and consider it my finest handgun, I think you should consider another pistol for someone with arthritis and/or weak hands.
I recommend checking out the Walther P99. I have found no other slide as easy to operate and hear the trigger is fine. Good luck.
But, it's not an H&K.;)

·
Registered
886 Posts
On my PSP, I purchased an M8 heat shield, fitted and epoxied it to my pistol. It allows another couple of mags worth with a bare hand. Trick is to file the top portion to be a thin as possible, lots of trial fit and filing is need to make it look right.

Bill

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Bought one of the PSPs from CDNN, too, and mine has better finish on it than my M8 did new.

Shoots great, just like every other P7 I've had. Fantastic groups at 25 yds. They are a total steal at the price, my was about $675, and they have some that look used for $599.

For severe arthritis, try a Beretta .380 with the tip-up barrel. No need to rack the slide, the barrel tips up easily and snaps back just as easy.

We had set up an elderly relative with one who couldn't cock his own Luger that he'd been using for the last seven hundred years. Very mild recoil, I forget the model maybe an 82.

If one cannot pull the slide on a P7, good luck having enough strength to hold on to it during recoil. As mentioned before, they tend to be more snappy that a USP or a Glock in recoil.

·
Registered
423 Posts
It must be me, but I find my P7 to have the least recoil of any 9MM pistol in the P7 size and weight class. I'ld buy another and will be sorry I didn't get another from CDNN, but funds don't allow it now.:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts