HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet but going by feel alone, the front end on it does feel heavier than the one on my Ghillie built 18" bbl G3 clone. I wonder what PTR had in mind when they chose to use a 16" heavy barrel on it instead of a standard profile one. Obviously not a sniper rifle as the 7.62x39 round doesn't lend itself too well for long distance "reach out & touch" work.

I'm sure guys who have the luck to own registered sears & get to use them in happy mode aren't complaining but that's just a small percentage of owners who get to do that. Can it be used as is? Yes, it certainly can but the point is that it didn't need it and it would've worked better for its intended purpose with a lighter barrel. Match the gun components to the gun's intended role and purpose. But hey, I ain't no expert (by far) and maybe they do know something (or things) I do not.

Anyway, mine came with a set of all plastic mags but I'd like to get some extra ones. What are the "better" mags available out there? Do the flat sided Bulgarian mags that CDNN sells work on these? I've read in a couple of places that 40 rounders aren't as reliable as the 30 rounders, is that correct? Conversely, are there any good 20 rounders that can be used without modifications? Might contact Ghillie as well later to find more about his AK drum cut and find out which drums work best with it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I use the Bulgarian waffle-style 40-rounders and they work great! Ghillie did the drum cut and it works great with the drum, too. I need to pick up a couple of additional drums, but have forgotten which ones are the good ones, so I hope Ghillie comments on this thread.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet but going by feel alone, the front end on it does feel heavier than the one on my Ghillie built 18" bbl G3 clone. I wonder what PTR had in mind when they chose to use a 16" heavy barrel on it instead of a standard profile one. Obviously not a sniper rifle as the 7.62x39 round doesn't lend itself too well for long distance "reach out & touch" work.
PTR = "Precision Tactical Rifle." Not sure where your confusion resides? Allegedly, the reason why PTR went with heavier, thicker barrels was to improve accuracy. Although clearly the 7.62x39mm cartridge is no "sniper" round, with the PTR's heavier barrel one's accuracy should be slightly(?) improved over a standard G.I. profile barrel.

I'm sure guys who have the luck to own registered sears & get to use them in happy mode aren't complaining but that's just a small percentage of owners who get to do that. Can it be used as is? Yes, it certainly can but the point is that it didn't need it and it would've worked better for its intended purpose with a lighter barrel. Match the gun components to the gun's intended role and purpose. But hey, I ain't no expert (by far) and maybe they do know something (or things) I do not.

Anyway, mine came with a set of all plastic mags but I'd like to get some extra ones. What are the "better" mags available out there? Do the flat sided Bulgarian mags that CDNN sells work on these? I've read in a couple of places that 40 rounders aren't as reliable as the 30 rounders, is that correct? Conversely, are there any good 20 rounders that can be used without modifications? Might contact Ghillie as well later to find more about his AK drum cut and find out which drums work best with it.

Thank you.
Kinda sounds to me like you are experiencing "buyer's remorse." I would think a wiser person would withhold judgment until AFTER they have fired a few rounds down range.

Then again, I'm bias. . . I absolutely LOVE my PTR-32 Carbine. :wink:

Check it out here: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/156884-my-updated-ptr-32-kfr-carbine.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bet you get some amazing groups using quality ammo like Lapua or Hornady SST or Cor Bon. I think it would be a nice DMR for out to 400, especially with Cor Bon's 150gr loads. For plastic mags, Bulgarian Circle 10 waffle mags are your best bet but some people get others to work, kind of hit or miss with others though.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Never had a problem with any factory AK47 mag in AK47s.. 20/30/40/75 and 100 rd drums

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
PTR = "Precision Tactical Rifle." Not sure where your confusion resides? Allegedly, the reason why PTR went with heavier, thicker barrels was to improve accuracy. Although clearly the 7.62x39mm cartridge is no "sniper" round, with the PTR's heavier barrel one's accuracy should be slightly(?) improved over a standard G.I. profile barrel.

Kinda sounds to me like you are experiencing "buyer's remorse." I would think a wiser person would withhold judgment until AFTER they have fired a few rounds down range.

Then again, I'm bias. . . I absolutely LOVE my PTR-32 Carbine. :wink:

Check it out here: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/156884-my-updated-ptr-32-kfr-carbine.html
Actually, I'm very excited that PTR decided to build a 16" barrel carbine that shoots the 7.62x39 round and that's why I decided to buy one. I was just giving my 1st impression on how it compared handling wise to my G3 clone. The point I was trying to make is that I personally would've prefered to have a lighter rifle with a standard contour barrel instead. I bet you that if PTR would've made the 32 a bit lighter, they would've sold a lot more than what they did. Besides, if PTR wanted to build a precision "bench gun" I think that they have gone with a 18 or even 20" long barrel instead.

Thanks to those who posted with magazine feedback and sources or links as to which places have the best prices are welcomed as well. Happy shooting to all :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts