HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I'm a newbie to the HK world, so please go easy on me here for a while. I have always wanted an HK style rifle and now I think it is the right time. I'm currently looking at the PTR 91 brand, in particular the PDW pistol versions in 308 and 762x39. My plan is to buy the pistol and send off the for the tax stamp (I already have an AR15 sbr). I have a few questions. First off, will I be better off going with the 308 or the 762x39 chambering for an SBR? I won't be shooting the gun a ton, probably 200 to 300 rounds a year. Second question, if I go with the 308 caliber, will I have problems shooting Tula ammo? It's certainly the cheapest ammo to use for range blasting, which is what I mostly plan on doing with the gun. I don't want to spend a ton of money (for me) on the gun only to find out that it will only shoot the more expensive ammo offerings. I like that the 308 mags are like $3/each, but I also like the fact that the PTR32 uses AK mags which are higher capacity as well as possibly being able to use a drum mag.

My third question is a little different. I have my FFL so I can buy the 308 PDW at dealer cost, but I would have to pay retail for the 762x39 model because it is exclusive only to Atlantic Firearms and I called them and they will not give another dealer a discounted price. So I hate paying retail, especially when I can get the 308 version at cost. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would be alright with paying retail for the PTR32 if it would make a better choice for an SBR and especially since the ammo is more than half of the cost of the cheap 308 ammo.

But I'm pretty sure I'm set on buying a PTR of one kind or another to do an SBR with. I'm bored with ARs so I'm looking for something new to play with. Any help you all can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The PTR PDW 308 shoots Tula and cheap steel ammo in general just fine. I've ran tons through one. For me between those two the 308 is the crowd pleaser, way more fun to shoot especially if you are only going to shoot it a couple times a year. No question which one for me. Cheap 308 mags are icing on the cake.

·
Registered
653 Posts
It really depends on what your intended use or preferences are between the two. If you want big fireballs the .308 is the way to go, if you don't like the thought of tons of wasted powder, the 32 is the way to go. And then the difference in ammo cost is significant also. It would be nice to get both.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My intended use would be for fun basically. A range toy thats something different from every other AR and AK that you see all the time. I really don't have a preference. Especially since I already have an AR sbr that I can use to blast through the rounds. I'm on the fence right now as to either one. Don't want to pay retail for a 32, but the ammo savings would make up for the difference in a couple years.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My SBR'd PTR 32 eats military surplus 7.62x39 like candy and provides the same noise and flash as the .308 at about half the price. I use the Bulgarian "circle 10" 40-round mags and they function perfectly and the light show lasts twice as long as the .308 would.

When I got it I had to pin on a non-flash hider to comply with stupid CT law so I installed a Yankee Hill Machine "CT compliant" QD mount and it acts like a flash enhancer, so I light up the firing line whenever I bring it out. Great fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts