HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

New guy here. So I've been shopping around for a .308 battle rifle as an all purpose/shtf weapon for a little while now. I just stumbled across the PTR's the other day and these look like the most promising combo of reliability, accuracy, and price. The best looking one to me is the PTR 91 A3R, because of the welded on scope mount and the cool looking hand guard. Before I get one though, I want to have a well laid out plan of how to equip the thing. So what I've come across online is the charging handle can interfere with a lot of scopes. This could be a problem. I've had a good deal of experience with a 4x ACOG on an M16, so I was thinking this big, bad .308 would easily justify a 6x scope. I was specifically looking at the SWFA SS 6x42 MRAD. This is a 14.09" optic with 3.5" eye relief. Do yall think that would clear the charging handle? Also, that should be enough eye relief to keep it from whacking me in the eye brow in the standing, right? I would like to keep the iron sights visible for close range and as a quick backup. Any recommendations for ring sets to make that work? To finish off the package, I was looking at the Magpul adjustable stock. Looks like a solid option, but I've never used one, so any input on that would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading, hope to hear some feedback on this.

·
Registered
274 Posts
#1....
Post that is haha. Welcome. No stupid questions, ask away. BUT this is well covered in a bazillion posts. A small amount of searching will answer all your questions and more.

Best perspective I have for what it is worth. Don't try to force AR logic onto a roller lock battle rifle. Apples and Oranges.

PTR's are great by the way. In the beginning they had some issues. These days they are fine platforms.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I googled it and didn't turn up much, but I suppose it would have made sense to search this site specifically before posting. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
I've got two of the SWFA SS MRAD scopes--the 6x42 and the 10x version too. I have both scopes mounted on the 30mm ring HK-style scope mounts, not a picatinny rail. I generally use the 10x scope on my SR9 and the 6x on one of my V93 rifles. In both cases, the scope's front end reaches past the the point where the cocking handle locks into position. In both cases, I can carefully lock the slide back and then release the handle; however, I cannot do the HK slap. I don't know whether you'll be able to use the scope when mounting it on the picatinny rail, as you will likely mount the scope lower and the front end of the scope may further conflict with the cocking handle.

On each of these rifles, I use the Magpul PRS-2 adjustable buttstock and the PTR aluminum tactical rail hand guard, so that I can mount a Harris bipod.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Basically, from what I've read, anything over about 11.5" interferes with the charging handle. You can increase your length of pull with a longer stock I guess. For myself, I'm going to try a prism scope or an acog of some sort, but until then I've still got my surplus Z24.

·
Registered
114 Posts
you should be fine with your choice of scope. like diesel said no HK slap but you will clear the ct handle.

+1 for the atlantic exclusive A3r. powder coated, rail, wide hk style front hand guard.

my recomendation is make a few range trips, shoot it then after you get a feel for it, and your happy with your bolt gap and so on, then start doing other stuff. thats just my 2 cents.

i'm running the PEPR mount on mine, can't help you on using your irons with a mount. ;)-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So basically, either make sure the mount puts the scope above the handle, or the scope is shorter than the handle. If the 6x ACOG with the 308 BDC was in my budget, I wouldn't hesitate to get one. The build quality of the ACOGs is very confidence inspiring, and the features are practical. Unfortunately, I would only be interested in optics a fraction the price. I have heard good things about the Hensoldt, and I may consider getting one of those. Bear in mind, I've never operated an HK, but it seems to me like the charging handle/optics clearance problem could be alleviated by having a charging handle that was bent a little downwards to gain clearance. I'll probably take Sandman's advice and just pick up a rifle, then mod it as I go.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So basically, either make sure the mount puts the scope above the handle, or the scope is shorter than the handle. If the 6x ACOG with the 308 BDC was in my budget, I wouldn't hesitate to get one. The build quality of the ACOGs is very confidence inspiring, and the features are practical. Unfortunately, I would only be interested in optics a fraction the price. I have heard good things about the Hensoldt, and I may consider getting one of those. Bear in mind, I've never operated an HK, but it seems to me like the charging handle/optics clearance problem could be alleviated by having a charging handle that was bent a little downwards to gain clearance. I'll probably take Sandman's advice and just pick up a rifle, then mod it as I go.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
I am in the same boat .
I`ll be ordering a A3R pretty soon but I am looking and researching for a good , not too expensive , with maximum length of 12" scope that would have 8x to 10x power . I think that 6x power is not enough for my older eyes . So far , I haven`t found it .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ran into this problem when I recently purchased my A3R from Atlantic. I couldnt find really any reliable information when it came to mounting a decent optic. Some people have been using the PEPR and havent had any issues, I decided to go with a set of the Burris Xhigh rings (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002E6V3MM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 (about 12.5 inches in length with ~3" eye relief). One of the reasons (albeit possibly misguided) I went with the Burris rings was because they have an option to use 1" picatinny ring top for your rear ring to mount a very small red dot (kinda cool but maybe not all that practical). The Burris rings also do have a peep through the bottom so you still can use the iron sights. The only issue you will run into with this set up is the bell of your chosen optic might interfere with your iron sight picture

As for the Magpul PRS-2. Get it, totally worth having the available adjustments especially if you are going the optic route. Up to you whether or not you want to get the "DMR buffer" kit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The problem with the Burris Pepr mount is that it will place the scope forward , and consequently compounding the problem of the scope length .
I am thinking on , like you, getting the high rings and this way I can position the rings and the scope as far back as I can .
Right now I am in between the Burris and Vortex scopes ... M-Tac and the PST series .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Burris Xhigh rings sound like a good option. Leoniditron, do you think the Magpul stock works well for the standing and kneeling positions, or is it more suited only to prone/sitting/benchrest? It definitely looks like a good stock, I just want to make sure I'm keeping battle rifle functionality. I'm going to see if I can locate some reasonably priced Japanese optics. I know American companies like to stamp their name on Japanese scopes and jack up the price. I'll see if I can find some quality no name optics. I'm looking for 6x fixed but might be willing to settle for 4x or 5x. I don't know if you're interested in oddball makes Josey, but I could let you know if I find any quality made, reasonable 8 or 10x scopes on my search.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would definitely say that the PRS2 doesn't affect functionality while standing or kneeling. When I am shoot, I primarily shoot standing unsupported and while sitting. It does add a little extra bulk to the rifle as a whole but I don't think it is super noticeable. For me, I would say if you do go with those Burris xhigh rings the Magpul stock is almost a requisite. The default stock that comes on the A3R doesn't have adequate height to compensate for the extra height the rings give you. If you choose not to go with the Magpul there are a couple of different cheek pieces/extensions you can get (http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-Cetme-Cheek-Piece-For-Scope-p1925.htm for one).

Personally, I love the Magpul. But I realize that the aesthetics/price aren't for everyone. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Magpul stock sounds good. Based on what you're saying, I doubt I could find anything cheaper that would match its versatility. Looks like MSG-90 stocks go for about 3x what the Magpul does. As for scopes, I haven't turned up anything that exactly matches what I was looking for, but the Vixen 2-8x32 and the Burris Fullfield E1 2-7x35 both should be cut out for the job. I would probably go with the high, or xhigh rings, based on what gives me best iron sight visibility. Upgrade irons to tritium, have the trigger worked over, and it should be good to go.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The problem with the Burris Pepr mount is that it will place the scope forward , and consequently compounding the problem of the scope length .
I am thinking on , like you, getting the high rings and this way I can position the rings and the scope as far back as I can .
Right now I am in between the Burris and Vortex scopes ... M-Tac and the PST series .
not necesserily, turn the pepr around and presto. i gotta picture somewhere

i spent alot of hours researching and reading reviews about scopes, i'll give you what i gleaned, take it with a grain of salt. my need illuminated, and decent low light 30mm.
snipers hide was the best source for info and military firearms forums. and a youtuber tiborasaurusRex.

#1 best budget swfa $300 30mm None illuminated 14 inches or so. weight don't remember
#2 middle of the road weaver FFP $700 bills plus 30mm illuminated 13.5 inches or so
#3 over a grand NIghtForce any flavor you want, short, light, illuminated Only guestion is how much much you wanna spend.

i thought falcon was going to be my scope but it had poor low light reviews by a couple owners. that changed my mind.
vortex is VERY popular, i took the comments to heart of a few people that said they owned both the weaver and vortex and sold the vortex. however many people swear by them, warranty and so on, if you get one i'm sure you will like it.

the above is only my opinion and how i plan on spending my cash. p.s the guy i will be hunting with in a few weeks uses a TASCO, and he bags elk, deer and hogs every year. so use what works it don't have to cost more than the gun. ;)-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I kind of have a problem with spending more on an optic than on a rifle. That might change in the future, but for now I'd rather not spend much over $300, and unfortunately, the SWFA just doesn't look like a great option due to its size. Looks like I could pick up a Leopold FXII 6x36 that is just barely pushing the length limit at 11.6". At some sources I could pick one of those up for under $300. The only unfortunate thing is that gold band would really hurt the tacticool factor of my setup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Primary Arms is worth considering, especially for the price. That being said, I do kinda have a prejudice against Chinese made stuff. I know that some of it is pretty good, but I generally put a bit less faith in Chinese products. I've been reading some more reviews, and the Leupold looks like an optic I would not regret getting. The Leupold, Burris, and Vixen options I mentioned all have equally awesome warranties. The Leupold and Vixen both got four star ratings on Chuck Hawks and the Burris got 3+. Also, I was kind of kidding about the tacticool thing. If the gold band really bothers me, there are infinite options I have to cover it up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah, I kind of have a problem with spending more on an optic than on a rifle. That might change in the future, but for now I'd rather not spend much over $300, and unfortunately, the SWFA just doesn't look like a great option due to its size. Looks like I could pick up a Leopold FXII 6x36 that is just barely pushing the length limit at 11.6". At some sources I could pick one of those up for under $300. The only unfortunate thing is that gold band would really hurt the tacticool factor of my setup.
i missread diesel's post, his swfa scope goes past the cocking handle and i bet it's because of his hk type mount. i say that because i have a 15 1/2 inch scope on the pepr with the pepr mounted on backwards and it clears the cocking handle and rear site. forget irons though. is it a tad long? yes but it clears. you should be fine with 14 inches. i have the swfa and the weaver, let me know if you want me to swap em out and see how they fit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts