HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot how helpful this forum was.... but I digress.

I recently (this morning) purchased a used PTR 91 (hella deal) and took it to the range.
everything worked great but one issue.
it came with a scope mounted to the picatinny rail on top and found that the charging handle when the bolt is locked back sits/rubs against the scope.
now I know from reading the forums that you can't just have MP5 type charging handle because of the bolt unlock.

My question is has anybody made a low profile/bent charging handle so that it only stands up when charging/in lockback position so that it stands up shorter.... or am I just better off buying super high rings to make it clear.

matt

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so no opinions then.... guess Ill get a riser then.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Unfortunately not to my knowledge. Pictatiny is an afterthought to the HK design, they never intended for it to have a picatinny rail. Typically all actual HK designs used at least a .75" riser, which also calls for the use of a cheek riser. They also intended for claw optics mounts to be able to use the irons in a pass through system. It's a weak point on the old HK roller locks, but a riser isn't the end of the world either.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
No such charging handle. Sell the scope and buy one that fits the rifle better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
First off get a shorter scope, there are lots out there for whatever you want to spend. Second, if you need more 'room' get the higher rings. The ring height will be dictated by your scope base. I have a nice variable that is less than 11 inches and the charging handle clears it just fine. After you add the rings you may have to add a 'riser' to your stock. Again there are options available and it is personal choice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Post some pics of the mount and how the scope is situated. What size of an objective lens does it have?
IMG_1264.JPG IMG_1266.JPG

this was how the gun came to me used.
will get a riser if needed
gonna try modding a charging handle first.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Interesting configuration. I'd ditch the sun shade and get a different set of rings, maybe a one piece with a QD feature to bring it back an inch or so assuming that works for you. So how much eye relief do you have? How much do you need to bring it back to clear the charging handle?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting configuration. I'd ditch the sun shade and get a different set of rings, maybe a one piece with a QD feature to bring it back an inch or so assuming that works for you. So how much eye relief do you have? How much do you need to bring it back to clear the charging handle?
where the scope is right now is perfect about 4-5 inch of eye relief. the scope would have to be moved back 3 inches to clear the handle on the scope bell. the handle in the up position hit right where the scope bells out on the front.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts