HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The charging handle on my PTR-91 is hard to use when cocking the rifle. Bolt gap after letting the handle fly home and dry firing is .012" as measured with a feeler gauge. From what I understand, the allowable limits is .010" - .018". Other than the stiff charging handle, the rifle functions fine. It was bought used eight years ago and I have a couple of hundred rounds through it. I do not yet know what I don't know about this family of weapons.

How do I troubleshoot and fix the problem I'm having with the charging handle?

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
How is it stiff right at the beginning when first pull and it unlocks the bolt then normal the rest of the way or the whole way?

this problem just developed did it develop over time or suddenly?

also, it does not hurt to oil the spring rod and spring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My charging handle was extremely difficult to pull back - it took almost all of my strength to charge the weapon. It ended up a warranty fix by ptr, they immediately offered to fix it after I described the problem. Have you done the dime test? Rest a dime on the inside of the cocking tube, and the cocking handle should cam out easier and it should then pull back much easier.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If your bolt gap is too tight it can also cause the bolt to be hard to fully unlock so roller replacement may be necessary to the next size. Concern is that you are still within spec. but its not too expensive for new rollers and its good to have the next size in the parts bin for when do actually need them.

It could be that there is too much gap between the cocking handle and the blocking plug. This will definitely cause this problem. If you bought this rifle new it is a factory flaw and the factory should repair it. If you bought it used with unknown round count it could just be worn parts still the factory might fix it.

What has happened is the charging tube was installed too far forward just a tiny bit that keeps the bolt from fulling unlocking when you pull back on the charging handle. The cargingn handle basically works as a pry bar to unlock the bolt from carrier if it does not open it enough then its a real pita to charge to pull until it is fully opened enough to pull back.
with the charging handle closed check to see if there is any foward back play shoud be a tiny and I mean tiny bit just enough that the carrier is not slamming into it if you are getting anything really noticeable were you can obviously see a good amount of movement it likely the problem. This issue will require the manufacturer or someone with some know how to fix it because the tube will need to be moved back which requires cutting and welding and refinishing

now its a faint possibility the edge of the charging handle that prys on it has worn that would be a simple fix just replace the charging handle but its is unlikely but i have seen weirer things. Oh and like i mentioned make sure its lubed good.

The only other issue i can think of is if the receiver itself was out of spec too tight but another unlikely issue and one that needs to be fixed by the manufacture.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lifer, that link was very useful. Thank you.

Bolt gap is .013". Charging handle gap looks to be about the same and handle movement is less than a half inch. It appears the CH gap is the culprit.

Would changing the roller help?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not to thread hijack but now you got me thinking. I would describe mine as "stiff" but I inherit it to the design. It shouldn't take "all your strength" but my understanding is it wasn't a design that you were supposed to baby. Am I wrong? Should it be relatively easy?

·
Registered
667 Posts
It varies a lot, amongst the clones at least. I can charge my PTR91 with my pinky finger, and I don't have a particularly strong grip. Can't do that with my C93 though.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

Bolt gap is .013". Charging handle gap looks to be about the same and handle movement is less than a half inch. It appears the CH gap is the culprit.

The Cocking Tube Gap should be at least .015" MORE then your Bolt Gap. So it appears your rifle will need a trip back to PTR as they need to remove and reinstall the cocking tube to correct the gap. Rollers are not going to fix that.

Though it sounds like some rollers are in order as on a new rifle, the closer the Bolt Gap is to .020" the better.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Steve in 29 is right. Rollers wont fix your problem. I've had the same cocking tube problem. I sent mine back to PTR. Unless you have rollers, You'll end up spending around $25.00 on them. Give Chris at PTR a call. PTR customer service has been great for me. PTR did some extra tuning on mine while they had it. No charge. .013 bolt gap is not bad. I would leave it alone. PTR will probably tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have two PTR91 rifles. Both charging handles and mechanisms have been drenched in 20w50 motor oil for operation. One is brand new, sold to me used. The other is lightly used. BOTH of them have this issue. It's one of the biggest drawbacks of this weapon.

I would say that the charging handles on BOTH of them are simply very consistent in that they are INCONSISTENT on how much resistance to expect. At times, it takes 30+ pounds of pulling to break the bolt free to pull it rearward. Other times, it's 5 pounds and smooth as silk. It's just a really aggravating inconsistent movement. Personally it's a terrible design. Cool in theory but the combination of the forward position, the almost knife-blade sharp folding mechanism (which sometimes sticks), and the inconsistent pull is awful. A round, protruding handle would have been far superior. Fiddling with a near-knife blade folding handle requiring sometimes tens of pounds is simply atrocious.

I'm sitting here with the rifle in front of me on the floor, just ramming the operation repeatedly to try to smooth it out or break it in and it's not enjoyable...

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Roller locks are a manly man's weapon. Even the best of them, and I mean the original G3s are hard to lock open. So it's a relative question. If you can actually do so, that may be the best you will ever have

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Get the extended charging handle and these issues will disappear.
I do this (oversized MG handle) to every roller lock I possess. A lot of people still can't crack them open

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just boght my first hk clone PTR91 friday and figured out that you just have to commit to pulling it back. The more I shoot it the less I even notice. I really like slapping the handle after loading a mag and it slamming shut ready to engage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts