HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just ordered a PTR 91 F. They are on sale online, brand new for $899.99. I also got 20 new HK aluminum mags with pouches for $150. And everything shipped for 10 bux. I know the idea is to ask before you buy, but did I do ok? I've been eyeing the PTR 91's for some time and I just could not resist. This will be my first HK or HK clone.

Ok, so Ill need some ammo to load up on. Im aware or ammoman, ammunition to go, and aim surplus. What seems to be some good ammo to stock up on for these? 7.62 NATO or .308?? Im looking for just 500-1000 rounds to start with.

What about slings, is there like an HK sling or something that I should be getting? Or what sling would you recommend for this PTR 91 F?

Any other must-have accessories I may have overlooked (aside from optics)?

Thanks in advance for any info. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think you did pretty good on the gun but i think the mags were a little pricey though. Check out robertrtg.com for parts and accessories. Bob.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you think of this ammo from ammoman?

"Igman 7.62X51 M80 has 145 GRAIN BULLET

308 FULL METAL JACKET 145 GRAIN
07' PRODUCTION - BATTLE PACKS

MADE IN BOSNIA BY IGMAN - BRAND NEW
BOXER PRIMED - NON CORROSIVE AND RELOADABLE
100% NON-MAGNETIC - FULL COPPER JACKET"

It's $499 for 1000 rounds, free shipping. Would this be the kind to get? Please advise.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
New production ammo, clean, price includes shipping. I say go for it. If you had to pay shipping the deal would be not so good. .49 a round is about right these days.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Ammo looks good. As far as a sling, try www.spectergear.com. They should have whatever you're looking for. (Mine wears their CQB sling in black.)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Slings are a sensitive topic to some. To me they are a strap to hold the rifle over my shoulder when I am walking. For that I just got a leather G3 sling such as is being sold all over the web. I may modify it somewhat one day with a larger surface area for the part that actually drapes over my shoulder, sort of like some of the guitar straps I've seen over the years.

For my smaller V93 clone, I bought one of those 3 point HK slings. I think it is really cool and for someone who actually drills with something like this it would be very useful. While drills are fun and instructive, truth is I usually just shoot from prone anyways, so the sling becomes somewhat awkward as the little slider seems to come loose from the front sling attachment hook just when I don't want it to!

Somehow too, I just don't see myself wandering the neighborhood with my rifle slung up and hanging by my side as this sling allows.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I use my PTR to hunt deer. I try to figure out what lawmakers mean by "not particularly suited to sporting purposes" as my rifle hangs at the ready from the tactical sling with my trigger hand very comfortably around the pistol grip while I slide through the woods. As with any piece of gear, it's all about how you are gonna use it.

·
Premium Member
2,768 Posts
I have two PTRs (18" F model) and they are fantastic - enjoy. (I even think of getting another, which I need like a hole in my head.) What I would suggest considering is optics and I just got a Hensoldt Fero Z24 from Cheaper Than Dirt for $315. It was listed as "used, excellent condition," but mine was 100% new -- others have said the same about their orders. That is a fantastic deal and makes the PTR a lot more fun. If you don't already know, these scopes were what the German military issued with the G3s so they are designed for this rifle. At that price, I don't think you can go too wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I just got my PTR-91 F from CDNN. All I have to say is, WOW. The fit and finish on this rifle is absolutely perfect. I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet, but I am super impressed so far. It is a real beauty. For 899.99, this rifle appears to be one hell of a bargain.

Oh, is the charging handle latch supposed to be a bit stiff to unfold?

And is there anything important I need to keep in mind when taking this apart and cleaning/lubing it?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congratulations on your sweet deal, I still can't believe you picked up a PTR for $899. I just bought one about 3 weeks ago from PTR themselves. Because they are LE friendly, they hooked me up with the rifle at cost, $930 + tax/shipping. Ah well.

Yes that charging handle is shipped stiff... PTR themselves warned me that they are shipped deliberatley tight.. they will loosen. If you get a few ejection problems within the first 200 rounds, don't panic.

Great rifle.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Everything was a little stiff at first on my PTR, esp the charging handle. It'll work in. Most important thing to remember when cleaning is the chamber. Scrub it out then DRY it out. Everything else just pretty much needs the powder residue wiped off and some re-lubrication. Damn nice price on that gun, btw, I'm jealous!

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
I use my PTR to hunt deer. I try to figure out what lawmakers mean by "not particularly suited to sporting purposes" as my rifle hangs at the ready from the tactical sling with my trigger hand very comfortably around the pistol grip while I slide through the woods. As with any piece of gear, it's all about how you are gonna use it.
What the law makers mean, is that to a deer, an assualt rifle will look more lethal and more than likely cause some sort of panic within the herd while a well-polished Remmington semi-auto 30-06 won't alarm them as much, should they spot you. It must have something to with the way the flash suppressor deflects light at first sight or the way your body postion is when holding a pistol-grip rifle. Ultimately, I think it just boils down to that doe are more frightened when a buck is shot by an assult-rifle vs. a sporting rifle... blame it on the anti-animal cruelty groups... they're the REAL reason we have all this legislation :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts