HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am pretty new to the HK game, particularly with rifles. Recently bought a PTR-91FR for the deal of a lifetime, and all was well in the world until I took it to the range. Was accurate, soft shooting, all the good stuff, but it had some WEIRD cycling issues, and I wanted to get y'alls opinions on it.

First - some info about the gun to give you a mental starting point.

-It is an almost-brand-new PTR-91FR. As of right now, it has 80 rounds down the tube.
-It has... ahem, let me quote "New HK springs in it that will last longer than the stock PTR springs... but they are stiff so it will need some breaking in."
-It has the extended recoil buffer (from HK parts).
-I have the original buffer and all that jazz.
-It has a HK 91 Sniper Trigger Pack - tuned by Bill Springfield (though I am fairly certain this has nothing to do with the failures to eject). But also have factory pack.

So, when I shoot the gun, I have been noticing some differences in the ejection of the brass. Some of the brass is leaving the ejection port with enthusiasm headed about 45 degrees in front of me (which as I understand is the RIGHT way for it to go). But some of the brass is somehow getting flipped 180 degrees, and the gun tries to do a double feed with a new round, and the spent BACKWARDS case.

Any idea how this happens? Because this is exceptionally puzzling to me, and everyone that I know who has shot them has said something along the lines of "uh..... what?"

I have attached a picture and a rough (okay its very rough don't judge me) sketch of the issue. Any thoughts? Does it just need some more rounds down the pipe to break it in?

Feedin.jpg

PTR.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like it could be a tight extractor, or the bolt could be cycling slowly.

If you have the extractor spring that came with the gun, put it back in. Clean the bore and chamber well, and give it another go. I'd try a few different types of ammo to see if the problem is consistent across them too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What ammo were you using? i had some light strikes with my PTR 32 due to ammo, i don't think it would be a similar issue in your situation though.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Check your extractor for damage. Check the ejector tip for damage.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Perhaps you are finding out why you got it for "the deal of a lifetime".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts