HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've been doing a ton of research for some time both here and elsewhere and I'm about to order a PTR-91 A3R from Atlantic. The welded rail is a must for me because of the optics versatility, and I've always loved the classic wide hand guard look so it's the perfect configuration for me. While I'll stretch the rifle out to explore the envelope of its capability and mine, the primary measure of its effectiveness will be saving Texas from the wild hog apocalypse. That job puts the most likely shots I'll be taking from 50-300 yds, with the requirement that I have enough precision for good shot placement.

My immediate plan includes a 3 point sling, Cherokee cheek riser, Springfield trigger job, and a healthy stack of surplus mags. On the magazine front I plan to order 100 from keepshooting.com for $1.50 each unless someone has a good reason not to use them. I figure if 80% are serviceable with a little parts swapping it's still the best deal I've found and will last me the life of the barrel at least.

The leader in the clubhouse for an optic is the Burris MTAC 1.5-6. The scope is 12.2 inches long overall, which I believe is my max to allow proper eye relief and charging handle clearance with the standard stock length. I'm haven't found a pic of anyone running it on a 91, and my intent was a Burris PEPR 30mm QD mount. My optic requirements are as follows: Variable magnification, good low light performance, lit reticle, and within the 91's length requirements. It's not a precision rifle or application, and if I ever have to stake my life on the rifle I'll mount one of my Eotechs. Budget for optics is an absolute max of $599 for this application and anything under is more money for ammo. I'm open to any other optics y'all think I should be considering. My chief concern is the combination of scope and mount working between the eye relief and charging handle restrictions.

I don't have any other 308/7.62 rifles in the safe. Is there a favorite hunting load for the 91 that anyone would suggest as a good starting point for me to test with?

Sorry for the long winded post, but that's just me. I'm coming to the experts before I start firing off orders and my debit card starts smoking...
Cheers-Keith

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ordered 200 mags from keep shooting and 80% is about wright. Make sure you count them they only sent me 192...Good luck.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Your scope choice is perfect, 6× is just right. These are not sniper rifles and therefore they do not need any more magnification. I shoot at 565yrds with my 6×. That length is fine. How often does any one lock the charging handle up anyway? Pull it straight back and let it fly. The lower to the top of receiver, the better for cheek weld. I use arms #22 30mm thro rings and still miss the top of the rear sight. 155gr hornady tap is amazing in both my ptr,s. I now reload they exact load for myself. 42.5 gr of benchmark behind the 155g hornady A-max. F*ckin deadly. Period!!!Enjoy brother

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Recently went thru my 100 pack from CS and 80 were truly excellent, 10 were new in the wrapper and 10 had a little bit of wear.. fantastic deal

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent news on the mags. I'm not one of those folks that will be writing hate mail if 20% are bad.
As far as the optics are concerned, I'm not in love with the MTAC reticle, but I presume I'll at least get quick and proficient with it with enough range time. I considered the Falcon Menace 1.5-5, and love the reticle on the Primary Arms 1-6 but it's unavailable till March/April when an improved version arrives per PA. Most of the other lit 1-6 options are double my optics budget, at minimum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put my Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 on my PTR91sc with Weaver Tactical 4 screw medium height rings. Had to remove the rear BUIS sight drum to clear the ocular but it is nice and low to the receiver and I have a decent cheek weld with the standard stock and no cheek riser. My scope is 12.2 inches long and I have enough room to lock the bolt open. An 11.5 inch scope would be better but this will do fine for now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Surprised no one has talked about him not getting a mag latch installed... The push button is far from ergonomic...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Given the application, conversion to the paddle was something I'd figured would be in a later phase with maybe a steel lower. One thing I didn't mention that I'd probably do sooner is the heavy buffer. I'm not recoil sensitive, but with hogs being my focus I do expect situations where rapid follow up shots are more critical than an expedient mag change.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well it'd be an awesome hog hunting gun. I've honestly never found the HK91 style rifles to be harsh on the recoil... It's sharp but very controllable, alot of military guys who have only really dealt with M4s and M16s have issues controlling it. But if you're use to shooting .308 battle rifles like the FAL or M14 it's really not that bad. Most of the energy is absorbed by the rollers and the gun is so heavy that it really helps keeping the sights on target.

For what you're trying to do optic wise, I'd look into a Leopold mark 4 MR/T... Zeiss if you're looking for something REALLY nice.

Bill Springfield trigger jobs are awesome. I have one on mine aswell as a paddle release by him... If you feather that trigger it will bump fire off your shoulder... It's not so much the weight as much as it's the short reset... He manages to get a SUPER short reset on his trigger jobs, it may take you a little while to get use to... I do it on accident from time to time if my hands are cold. My M14 is that way aswell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my 100 mags from Keepshooting about 3 weeks ago for my PTR91 A3R. Its a great deal. Out of the 100, I got 78 HK factory mags and 22 contract mags, 14 still in wrappers in all. 1960s thru 1990s. After a total inspection, 41 appeared new or once-fired, the rest in excellent shape. Only one I considered a spare parts mag with a heavy dent at the bottom. I would highly recommend them for mags. I also recently purchased a Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP mil dot scope ($230) that is about 13.5 inches long which I haven't mounted yet, and it seems a little on the long side for the standard stock. Sooo, I read about the Magpul PRS-2 adjustable length stock for greater LOP with cheek rest (also adjustable for height) and bought it. It really looks cool but makes for a heavier weapon, and does help balance out the front heavy aspect of the rifle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will definitely post pictures and a report. I ordered the following yesterday:
PTR-91 A3R
Burris PEPR 30mm mount
Burris MTAC 1.5-6
Cherokee cheek riser
3 point sling
100 aluminum magazines
Chest rig that will accommodate G3 mags/tools/light/knife/water/vittles

Will get her assembled, sighted in, and named hopefully within a week to 10 days.

Still left to buy/consider:
Survival parts kit
MG21 recoil pad
Heavy buffer
Trigger Job
Ammo, premium and surplus blasting food.

Thanks all for the expertise here. I look forward to posting on the experience as I get her sorted out. -Keith

·
Registered
115 Posts
congrats on the new acquisition.
on my a3r i'm running the pepr whith the simmons white tail classic, i only mention it because its 14 1/2 inches long and i have room to lock the charging handle. the cheek riser was abit much in my opinion for the railed ptr. the claw mounts i'm sure cheek risers are a must. if you are getting a metal lower a set trigger could also be an option. williams trigger specialties or bill springfield can't go wrong. no hk bipod?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
For what its worth, I have the Burris pepr mount holding a burris 1-4 scope on top of one of my ARs and I have no issues with the mount. As far as PTR optics, I have two PTR91s. My older 18" barrel PTR does not have a welded top rail and I have been using the Hensoldt 4x in the claw mount for years and have had no issues. My newer PTR is the PTR91SC. It has the 16" fluted barrel and welded piciatanny rail on top. I currently have a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 scope with the green triangle reticle. The scope is in a Larue Tactical LT104 QD mount. I am very happy with this setup. This scope/mount combo gave me just enough clearance over my rear sight. I have the XS ghost ring rear sight on this rifle, which seems to be a little bit taller than the stock rear sights, and I have just enough clearance between the bottom of the scope bell and the top of the rear sight. I was happy with the way this turned out because it also allows me to remove the scope/mount and use it on some ARs, considering the Larue mount I am using was designed for ARs. I see you went with a 1.5-6 scope. I think that is a great magnification range for your intended purposes and it makes the rifle very versatile.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Also the burris should work out well. It should give you just enough clearance over the rear sight without putting the scope too high over the bore. This will help with cheek weld as well as making longer range shooting easier by having a lower height over bore on your scope. I found on my setup that I did not need a cheek riser. The hensoldt in the claw mount on my other PTR is definitely higher up than the 1-4 scope in the larue mount on mt 16" rifle. You should be able to make some pretty quick close up shots when you have that scope dialed down, and 6x should be enough to let you reach out. On my setup, the front sight was visible on low magnification, but once I got to 4x it was not noticeable in the sight picture. Hopefully the ballistic reticle on that burris will work out for you. I was able to squeeze out 2 inch groups at 100yds off the bench with my setup using american eagle 150gr fmj. This was with a 16" gun and 1-4x scope. The reticle on my trijicon is the green triangle which is pretty simple and fast, but not as precise as the reticle you will have IMO. I also have a springfield trigger job and would recommend one. Im thinking you should have no problem keeping that setup under 2MOA once you get it dialed in

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My scope arrived today and I think it will be a pretty good compromise between speed and just enough precision for punching pigs and plinking. Fingers crossed that the PEPR gives me just enough clearance for the rear sight as I don't want to pull it. I think it will but it's all theoretical till the rifle gets here. Hopefully I won't have too much trouble finding a load she likes out of the box as far as accuracy. I see most folks running lighter bullets, and that's fine for surplus/blasting ammo but with the twist I wonder if a heavier bullet won't produce the best accuracy. I agree the trigger job is high on my list.

·
Registered
115 Posts
federal gold medal 168 grain sierra matchking hollow point boat tail is probably the best place to start for over the counter ammo accuracy, it is hollow point but im sure their are better hunting rounds. berger bullets are very highly rated, hsm uses them in the hsm trophy gold 168 berger hunting vld, reviews are mixed on midway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Sandman. I don't have another 308 in the safe so I'm just going to have to pull together some samples and put a fun range day together. Appreciate y'all giving me some starting points. Can't wait to share the progress. I was a little kid with pictures of the HK91 on my wall so even though this rifle won't wear the HK stamp it's been a long time coming. I could have bought a 308 AR, but like the idea of making it work with something different.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Every 91 I own prefers 150 grain bullets. This makes sense because that's the standard military loading

1 - 20 of 31 Posts