HKPRO Forums banner

PTR 91 GI Ammo and general recommendation list

26458 Views 42 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  ratassassin
Okay, got a PTR 91 GI on order, in the mail and in route to my FFL. I am pretty pumped...it is my 3rd HK clone for the herd. Got my order in to RTG for some extra goods. I do have some questions for PTR GI owners.

1. Can you recommend some bulk ammo that worked for you?

2. I am gonna check bolt gap and try and run 100-200 rds through it and see how it goes.....see where the gap goes. I want to eventually duracoat the gun hk black. I know I have 1 year warranty and I read a lot of threads on this and other forums. My rifle is in the 800+ serial number range.

At what point would you feel I am good to go with bolt gap settling in and trunnion checks before I am good to go for the actual duracoating?

3. Any other recommendations? I will get the RTG G3/91 survival kit at some point.

THX in advance.
1 - 8 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,452 Posts
The PORT ammop from samco is slightly oxidized from the cardboard, but works and shoots more accurate than most m-80 ball. I have plenty of it. Wideners has some FN for $88 /200 rnds. Go to cheaper than dirt and get the 150gr BVAC reloads. $116 deliverd for 250rnds. They shoot very accurate and are loaded on once fired LC brass. VERY good clean stuff and its on par with my HIRTENBERGER stuff to boot. JUST SAYIN! Wideners is already out of the Santa barbara 81' they had for 88$ for 200rnds. Good stufftoo. EDIT: Cheaper than dirt is outof the BVAC bulk at the moment. They will get more,it sells out fast guy,s. But its great in the PTR rifles. Sportsmans guide is waiting for a shipment of PORTUGESE on march 6th. I already ordered mine.

· Registered
2,452 Posts
I,ve always known that the early JLD rifles have TIGHTER chambers initially then the newer 11 flute chamber green mountain barrels. I just dont undertand why PTR INC. can,t make an exact copy of a g3 barrel with 12 flutes and 4 groove rifling that is in SPEC? First they went to 10 flutes and that was switched quickly back to 12 in the later JLD builds. Then the AW#TC barrels had shallow flutes,now they are using 11 flutes in green mnt barrels. This is quite INSANE,sorry guy,s. Both my JLD rifles run flawless and are deadly accurate with quality surplus/nato 7.62. If you guy,s want to shoot russian/chicom crap,thats your deal. Its fine for shattered or ghillie who both shoot FULL AUTO extensively.I TARGET SHOOT!! I have not had ONE problem with serial range A#3000to A# 6000 JLD with rheinmetall carriers /euro bolt heads and many HK parts, backplates HK,recoil buffer HK/rheinmetall and not to mention German cocking tubes and not the soft U.S. steel cocking tubes that wear very rapidly in the lock up notch area,. I,m done now! If you want a flawless rifle,just buy an hk91 or be prepared to do alittle RESEARCH gentleman. I,ve tried to help.

· Registered
2,452 Posts
I dunno if I have 11 or 12 flutes but I believe I have one of the Green Mountain barrels on my AW PTR and it works flawlessly with excellent accuracy
Good to here bro, as long as your happy with it.But,the gi models do have looser chambers and are simply NOT as accurate as earlier Wilson& Tc barrels. Don,t get upset everyone,if your happy with U.S. made internals then God bless you. Hope you enjoy your purchase as much as I enjoy my JLD hkparts loaded weapons. My wilson has 10 flute and the TC has 12 and all shoot surplus. Happy shopping,this is why I had an FMP G3 kit built up. It has the chf mg rated chamber /barrel from portugal and will handle any ammo.It is still NOT as accurate as my 2 JLD builds. I actually shoot my rifles and maintain them properly and use many different kinds of NATO ammo and shoot at many different distances..I have all kinds of parts that I will probably never need.This rifle has 2000+ rnds thru it. I didn,t want to post this pic,but here it is. This was my out of the box 2007' JLD91k" after zeroing ofcourse" with the TC barrel with 12 flutes with iron sights at an 8" stick on at 100yrds with Australian surplus,the people at the range could not believe how accurate this weapon is,the holes are literally going thru each other.I shot a few high ones to. My friend cindy was spotting for me.Very fun.Needless to say, I use 5" stick ons now. Just keep her running right.

· Registered
2,452 Posts
B&T mount is hand down the best and does not move ,EVER. Make sure you equally tighten the screws. NOW,If bolt gap is around .012 or higher,your probably ok for now. In the future you can always put some +2 or +4 rollers in it later on. I have also found,and so have others;that a brand new HK locking piece FIRST should give you alittle more gap also. The key is,for the rifle to hold at the GAP its at from the factory.It seems alot of these newer rifles are coming from the factory with .010,.011 bolt gaps. Most of mine came with .015 or higher. So just keep an eye on it. It seems their still learning about setting bolt gaps HIGH enough. Wether its soft U.S. steel parts or wrong sized barrel pins,the bolt gaps should NOT be dropping so fast. I have 2000rnds thru one and its still at .012. I have found .012 to .016 to be the sweet spot for me.Just keep an eye on your trunion and check bolt gap after every range trip.Always clean these rifles ,no matter how many rounds you fired or if you think its clean enough. Fouling and carbon are what make WEAR on metal to metal contact area,s, that INCLUDES the barrel and throat errosion to.Again,i do alot of precision target shooting and keep my rifles very clean. Just my exp.

· Registered
2,452 Posts
It seems PTR INC has made the chambers a bit looser to handle surplus ammo. The bvac 150gr reloads from CTD are very accurate out of my FMP barreld rifle and even more so out of the heavier profiled Wilson and TC barrels. I shoot alot of portugese,but I also love the 155gr TAP from hornady. Prvi works well,lithuanian is awesome"if u can find",hirtenberger is by far the most accurate surplus,second to the Australian, wich is very rare now days. The german DAG ammo is very accurate also,but its very sticky nasty black TAR to clean up. I avoid it like tha plague. BVAC 150gr reloads are $116 for 250 rnds from cheaper than dirt. I use it alot and the brass is once fired Lake city military boxer brass. I,m rambling now. LOL enjoy fellas,and shoot straight.

· Registered
2,452 Posts
As to what to buy next.. I would recommend a German claw optics mount cause they are drying up, and Military contract HK mags aplenty, including a nice stack of the cheap used ones just for target shooting

My next HK purchase is 2 more claw mounts for future HK clone builds. Anyone have a good price on these? CDNN is plumb out..
I know,there,s a fero-z hendsolt on here for 600$. I paid 300$ for mine brand new 5 years ago. Damn inflation killin us.LOL

1 - 8 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.