HKPRO Forums banner

PTR 91 GI Ammo and general recommendation list

26458 Views 42 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  ratassassin
Okay, got a PTR 91 GI on order, in the mail and in route to my FFL. I am pretty pumped...it is my 3rd HK clone for the herd. Got my order in to RTG for some extra goods. I do have some questions for PTR GI owners.

1. Can you recommend some bulk ammo that worked for you?

2. I am gonna check bolt gap and try and run 100-200 rds through it and see how it goes.....see where the gap goes. I want to eventually duracoat the gun hk black. I know I have 1 year warranty and I read a lot of threads on this and other forums. My rifle is in the 800+ serial number range.

At what point would you feel I am good to go with bolt gap settling in and trunnion checks before I am good to go for the actual duracoating?

3. Any other recommendations? I will get the RTG G3/91 survival kit at some point.

THX in advance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
195 Posts
I got my G.I. in and shot it with iron sights to see if it would run before I mounted the scope etc. The Fabrique Nationale ammo that shoots 1/2 MOA in my HK-91 did not like the G.I. after a couple of mags it would not eject right. I called PTR they handled my call and were a big help even though I was Pi**ed. Chris was so helpful it cooled me off. I spent twice the price on the accessories than the rifle cost and it would not run my Holy Graille ammo that I had a pallet of. My HK-91 eats it like a AK-47 and shoots like a bull barreled bolt gun but the G.I. would not. Chris explained the reason was the out of spec chamber in the HK and the .020 clearence in the neck that makes the flutes work better, but that would open them up to liability if someone tried to reload that brass. That made since, and in OBamageddon I cannot afford two more HK-91's the PTR's will have to work. They told me to break it in with cheap steel stuff so I did with Silver Bear and it ate it without a hitch. I had already fire-lapped it and with a 6-oclock hold with a filed narrower front site it shot under a inch with irons at a 100 yards off the bench. So I shut-up and am selling my Holy Graille ammo to get something the G.I. will cycle, and I can't wait to see what it will do with good ammo, a lead sled, B&T mount and 3-9 Burris LRS scope. I had a amazing Bill Sprinfield trigger pack here for a spare for the HK-91 so that's already in it, and a wide forend. You're going to like that rifle. -----------You need to P.M. TCR39 about the HK locking piece and +2 rollers. He's been there and done that, no sense in trying to re-invent the wheel, and those items were cheap and cures the bolt gap issue. Enjoy your new baby. Ken

· Registered
195 Posts
TCR39, what was the typical fix you talked about on them? Was it a HK locking piece and +2 rollers? If that's it, that's cheap. Mine shot amazing well, after I fire-lapped it. Just did not like the ammo I had a bunch of. PTR actually answered the phone and were pleasent and nothing like the horror stories I'd heard. I got different ammo coming and I planned on it being a keeper. I am actually mounting the B&T mount and the stuff tonight on her.

· Registered
195 Posts
A HK Fanatic that bought my first (2) PTR's that I could not get to run, cleaned them with Naptha-------yes lighter fluid. You can buy a gallon at Home Depot or Lowe's for $9. It dries slower than brake klean and does not hurt plastics or synthetics etc. And it cleans instantly. If you've shot some tar sealed stuff I dip a chanber brush then a barrel brush in it and scrub it a little then patch it out. Do it over a trash can or outside because the crap just runs out of the barrel. I put the plastic tube the brush came in into a round stopper so it will stand up and I can dip the brush in that and not use much Naptha and toss that little bit of contaminated stuff that washes off the brush. It is the best cleaner I've found yet (not for copper jacket fouling, you'll need something with ammonia for that like Barnes) but it's QUICK and CHEAP. Remember you will have to oil patch the barrel when done because it cleans the metal to the pores and left unprotected it will rust. PTR barrels are not chrome-lined I think, but then I assumed that and never looked. ken

· Registered
195 Posts
Hey TCR39-- I made my B&T mount 50% stronger, I'll post some pics on a post tomorrow. And yep I tightened it down evenly with rear sight removed so I could check being parallel with flat sight base. I used to race cars so putting on a B&T mount is kinda like torking down a set of high dollar flow-benched Dart Aluminum Heads. Have fun shooting this weekend. ken

· Registered
195 Posts
Ironsights, I mentioned fire-lapping which was developed by David Tubbs and sold thru his company, Superior Shooting Systems.com I had had unbelievable results with the stuff so I fire-lap everything, rifles, pistols 22's even had them make a kit for my 50BMG. You can buy the kit and load their bullets in your brass or buy pre-loaded complete ammo for those that do not reload. Instead of hand-lapping there are a package of bullets with different very mild abrasives in the bullet jackets. The compound made in the jacket uniforms and polishes your bore, throat and crown. It makes them shoot incredibly better and shoot longer before fouling and easier to clean. The whole process from start to finish will polish out about one ten thousandth of an inch. If it will quit raining I'm going to shoot my G.I. in the morning. Happy Shooting, ken

· Registered
195 Posts
Here's a group I shot today from my 91-G.I. with Privi, rifle is barely broken in with a bolt gap of .013. Shot from a lead sled at a indoor 100 yard range. Rifle has been fire-lapped, PWS brake, Bill Springfield trigger,MSG-90 heavy buffer,B&T low profile mount, Burris extreme Tactical rings that were lapped, Burris 3-9x Ballistic Plex LRS. It shot sub-MOA with .942" group but My HK-91 set up exactly the same shot .477" group with a handload, here's the pics
Here's a old pic of my HK-91

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.