HKPRO Forums banner

PTR 91 GI Ammo and general recommendation list

26458 Views 42 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  ratassassin
Okay, got a PTR 91 GI on order, in the mail and in route to my FFL. I am pretty pumped...it is my 3rd HK clone for the herd. Got my order in to RTG for some extra goods. I do have some questions for PTR GI owners.

1. Can you recommend some bulk ammo that worked for you?

2. I am gonna check bolt gap and try and run 100-200 rds through it and see how it goes.....see where the gap goes. I want to eventually duracoat the gun hk black. I know I have 1 year warranty and I read a lot of threads on this and other forums. My rifle is in the 800+ serial number range.

At what point would you feel I am good to go with bolt gap settling in and trunnion checks before I am good to go for the actual duracoating?

3. Any other recommendations? I will get the RTG G3/91 survival kit at some point.

THX in advance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
So far in FMJ I've shot 80s POF delinked, 80s's S&B corrosive, Silver bear, Brown Bear, Wolf, & Tula. In SP Hunting spec I've fired Silver Bear, Federal Winchester & Remington.

None of the ammo I've fired keeps me from hitting a 12" gong at 300m

I figure it's all good.

· Registered
82 Posts
That's pretty.

Of course I bought my GI because it would feed anything and be combat accurate with crap/combat/found on the road ammo (that and the welds didn't look like they were made by a drunk monkey with a wirefeed...). And in that, I'm satisfied.

If I was competing, I might think differently... but then I would have bought a heavy barrel too...

· Registered
82 Posts
I like the low profile/flattop mounts better than the claw mounts... but then, I also like the A3 stock and there's no place for a cheek riser...

· Registered
82 Posts
Isn't there a nitride barrel lapping compound or somesuch? IIRC reading about a lapping process that did something like that... ???

· Registered
82 Posts
DUnno. I just remember some barrel lapping/coating product for sale a while back. Seemed a pretty easy to use product and did double duty lapping the bore and sealing the metal for easier removal of fouling...

· Registered
82 Posts
That's what I remember, but there was also some sort of metal bonding/coating as well as the abrasive lapping. I'll have to dig.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.