HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! I'm new to the PTR 91 GI world. I just recently purchased this new rifle and have been learning its nomenclature and operation, reviewing the manual, etc. prior to shooting it the first time. I have noticed the manual does not cover something regarding this rifle's "Selector Switch." Clearly it has a selection marked "S" (for "Safe") and a selection marked "F" (for "Fire"), but there is a selection in between these two that is marked "E." The User Manual does not address this specific selection option. Can anyone provide an explanation? When the weapon is charged and the selector is placed in this "E" position, the rifle will fire if the trigger is pulled. Thanks for any advice or information anyone here can provide.

·
Registered
908 Posts
You have a 'clipped & pinned' G3 lower.

It is modified for semi-auto only, but the original markings remain.

S=Sicher (safe)
E=Einz (single fire)
F=Feuer (full auto)

Dennis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for that explanation. It makes perfect sense, particularly considering the German wording. Any concerns regarding this "clipped and pinned" G3 lower, or any other warnings or tips regarding this rifle?

Thanks in advance for any additional information you might be able to provide.

Semper Fidelis

·
Registered
908 Posts
Generally, a steel lower is preferable to the PTR plastic job in terms of fit & durability.

They both use the same innards.

Not a whole lot to worry about with it.

DDG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the Info!

Welcome to the site, and congratulations on the acquisition!!! :biggrin:

Tony
Thanks much. This is the first of this type of rifle I have ever used so I'm just beginning the "adventure." So far I'm impressed with the simplicity overall and the ease of take down of the rifle for cleaning and inspection. It appears from some of the other missives I've seen on this site, that regular automobile motor oil (synthetic type) is the preferred lubricant for this rifle. I just recently ordered several extra magazines and a surplus sling but am curious if there are any other accessories I should consider purchasing. This purchase was basically to "fill a void" in my SHTF arsenal. I needed a battle rifle in the .30 caliber size. Really wanted a M1A (I'm a former Marine and initially was trained on the M14 circa 1971) but couldn't justify the up front cost of that rifle or the high cost of magazines for it (I try to have at least ten magazines per weapon). I have been very pleased with the PTR 91 so far, and at half the cost of the M1A, it allows me to acquire a lot more ammo to shoot.

So - I stumbled on this site and hope to learn a lot about this rifle, it's capabilities, and how best to maintain it.

Again - thanks to everyone here.

Semper Fidelis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts