HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I bought a PTR 91 "GI" back in January. I wanted to put a wide hand guard on it, which means also swapping the stock to match the OD. Anyways, the stock is giving me a little trouble. I got the original stock off, which DOES have the large rear buffer screw that is held in with red loctite.
Edit: Problem fixed.

I can't seem to get the rear buffer screw into the "new" stock. In the stock that came with it, there is a tube that is molded as all one piece with the stock. The surplus stock has a free floating piece of plastic that the bolt needs to go through before threading into the buffer. I can't seem to get the large rear screw through this piece of plastic and threaded into the buffer. It "seems" like it doesn't reach.

Another thing, it seems like the rear screw doesn't serve much purpose, especially since the regular PTRs don't even have one, and that it is held in to something that isn't even part of the stock. I read an email posted on here from PTR saying it is not important to the function of the weapon. Maybe I should just toss it in my junk drawer?

Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Some say that the stock is more prone to cracking without the rear screw. This may be correct, but I really don't think it's that big of a deal to not have it in there. I currently use a US-made MSG-90 Stock and there is no provision for a rear screw at all in it. I also put more than a few rounds through the my PTR with the original stock (also no rear screw) with no ill effects. Still, I do use one on my wood stock. I'd think on a surplus stock it should fit.

http://www.robertrtg.com/g3buffer.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So ya know those projects you just need to walk away from for day? yeah... I got it in. Thanks for the link jeray, seeing that I do have the right screw gave me the confidence to crack her open and give her another try.

I had been trying to do it with the buffer already screwed in from the other side. I started from the rear this time and it went right in. She still managed to give my a nasty little pinch on my thumb getting the buttplate back though. :90:

Heres a pic for anyone who's interested.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You might find that recoil is HARDER without that screw. On my first two PTR's, one had it and one didn't. The one with it had it in by only a couple of threads, and these older PTR's had NO tube. When I put my surplus stocks on after shooting them out of the box (before looking inside the stock), my recoil decreased a noticeable amount! Assuming that the correct screw was in yours, try tapping the plastic tube back in with a wooden or plastic dowel. It's NOT molded in one piece, probably just stuck good. I just played with one (surplus stock) for my new G.I that I had to "tap" back in so the screw would reach. Some of these surplus stocks have been sitting in warehouses for 30-40 years and have frozen up. You might want to pick up a set or two of the wood stocks from RTG before they vanish forever! Nothing like the wood!! (even if you don't use it, it is a GOOD investment).
GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I have to agree with BANGER on this one, I will not mount buffers in my stocks with out the rear long screw in. Recoil on both my clones,is very minimal. The msg90 buffer helps alot on the FMP build also.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You are not the first with a blood blister from snapping that in!!

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Getting those buttpads off without a vice can be a fruitless, or painful endeavor. I can pull a Heavy rubber one off with my hands, but the plastic ones are really difficult.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
So ya know those projects you just need to walk away from for day? yeah... I got it in. Thanks for the link jeray, seeing that I do have the right screw gave me the confidence to crack her open and give her another try.

I had been trying to do it with the buffer already screwed in from the other side. I started from the rear this time and it went right in. She still managed to give my a nasty little pinch on my thumb getting the buttplate back though. :90:

Heres a pic for anyone who's interested.

Nice GI Bro., what you have there is the best battle rifle for the money in the U.S.
Good luck with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeRWBdOjvbY&feature=related
HDH

·
Registered
370 Posts
AMEN HANSEL!!!!!
THE VERY BEST AVAILABLE!!
HK's and KLONES RULE!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts