HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping you PTR Pros could help me with a few concerns before I get this rifle.

First of all my intentions are to use the iron sights exclusively(no optics). I already have a ton of Soft Point Brown Bear ammo, mag pouches, magazines for $3.50 each, I'll get the trigger done, 6" rail under the handguard so that I can mount my vertical grip, and I got a hemostat from my fiance/nurse. I heard those are the best sight adjustment tools and she has spares.

Now onto the questions!
1. Is the PTR stock durable or should I get a surplus H&K stock? (I heard it's flimsy but I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new stock)
2. Will the RobertRTG heavy buffer drop into the PTR stock or will I have to buy power tools?
3. Does the TacLatch fit the PTR 91 KF without modification? (If not then can I file the TacLatch with my metal files to fit?)
4. Does the rifle come with a cleaning kit? Where can I get one?
5. Where is the cheapest place online to buy this rifle?!

Feel free to respond to any of the questions and if you feel that I am missing something then don't hesitate to include it. Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I was hoping you PTR Pros could help me with a few concerns before I get this rifle.

First of all my intentions are to use the iron sights exclusively(no optics). I already have a ton of Soft Point Brown Bear ammo, mag pouches, magazines for $3.50 each, I'll get the trigger done, 6" rail under the handguard so that I can mount my vertical grip, and I got a hemostat from my fiance/nurse. I heard those are the best sight adjustment tools and she has spares.

Now onto the questions!

Feel free to respond to any of the questions and if you feel that I am missing something then don't hesitate to include it. Thank you for your time!
Those are good questions; I am thinking of buying the same model.

You can get a cleaning kit here:

HK91 / HK G3 Cleaning Kit New, RTG Gun Parts

Atlantic has great prices.

PTR 91 K Carbine .308 Rifle by PTR91.COM

HKparts.net (Tac-Latch) and RTG (Buffer) should be able to answer the rest of your questions in an email.

Best,

TC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just tried to order it from Atlantic and it gives me a "We dont' have any in stock" message. So I put myself on their mailing list.

Thanks for the info. I'll send hkparts a message. From the forums it seems that some people can drop their taclatch in and some people have to file it a little bit. I have some metal files so a little removal should be ok.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I can answer a few of these questions, I recently purchased a PTR-91KPFR from Buds, OK on the price, I believe their "KF" models are cheaper, the only reason I didn't go with one of those is because the KPFR was all they had in stock at the time. I ended up selling the paratrooper stock though, love the look, just not very comfortable.

ANYWAYS!

Question #3 -Does the TacLatch fit the PTR 91 KF without modification?

Short answer, no you will have to modify it. I was curious about this as well before receiving my PTR, when it did come I noticed there was going to be quite a bit of modification necessary to make the tac-latch fit, when I can I can get you a picture of it. The best way I could describe it is there is no open space for the tac-latch to fit, unlike the HK91's, and you will need to create this space. I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard if you have a Dremel tool and the patience, you might even be able to find a how to.

4. Does the rifle come with a cleaning kit?

Mine didn't, you might try hk parts for a cleaning kit?

Last question, Buds is where I got mine
PTR91 20 + 1 308 Win. Squad Carbine w/16" Fluted Barrel/3 Ac $1,286.00 SHIPS FREE

Hope these help, new to the forum, but saw your post and I thought I could help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
1. Is the PTR stock durable or should I get a surplus H&K stock? (I heard it's flimsy but I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new stock)
I have two stocks, one of which came with the gun and the other a new POF I bought from RTG. I've never had or handled a surplus but neither of mine are flimsy. Stocks are only a few bucks but, even then, wait till after you get it to make that call. I can't imagine you'd be unhappy with it.

2. Will the RobertRTG heavy buffer drop into the PTR stock or will I have to buy power tools?
I've never had or handled a heavy buffer (I'm probably starting to sound worthless) but having disassembled a couple of stocks, it looks like it should drop right in. Either way, I can't imagine that any power tools would help. Installing a buffer has a couple of minor snags, though. First, you'll need to pop the end cap off. Stick it in a door jamb and lightly rock it back and forth while pulling. It'll pop off... eventually... promise. Second--and speaking of tools, you'll need a really, really long flat head screwdriver in order to unscrew the screw in the back of the buffer. It needs to go almost the entire length of the stock. I found a good screwdriver at an auto parts store for like $15. All told, it's about 13.5" long.

Mine didn't but I bought a GI. Although I'm not aware of any PTRs that come with cleaning kits but I could easily be wrong. Get yourself the chamber face brush on HKparts. The flute brush is solid too but you can use a nylon .45 brush bent a 90 degree angle and stuck through the ejection port to get the flutes clean.

Check out this page on Slickguns. They're showing several shops that have them for under $1100 and essentially comparable to Atlantic. Tombstone Tactical (even after shipping) and Buds are about the same price.

PTR 91 KF .308 Win/7.62x51 NATO 16" Heavy Barrel 20 Rounds Fixed Stock Black Finish 915150 - $1074.82 | Slickguns

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies. The TacLatch is a must for me since I have a short index finger(about 3 inches but it's thick though!) I guess I'll just order one and see what I need to do to it. I sent a message to PTR to see if they say anything since they point people to HKparts in the first place. Seems like that is the last concern I have. My brother has a toolbox with foot long screwdrivers so I will be good on the heavy buffer installation.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
keeepshooting.com has HK cleaning kits for 5 bucks

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think my cousin put it best when he told me "A .308 without a scope is like a hooker without a condom. You just don't do it.".
If you go with a wood stock, the heavy buffer requires some fittin....

IFAIK the HK/PTR style stocks don't have the back accessed screw that needs a long tool. The buffer is removed from the front of the stock after removing the whole butt stock by pressing out the take-down pins. As with the wood stock, the plastic stocks recess for the heavy buffer may not be long/deep enough.

The tac-latch is a hit or miss scenario. In my case the PTR mag catch is not original HK. The shaft is round the full length and does not have the flat side like HK. So I have to get an HK mag catch before I can install. That said it appears there will not be any clearance issues that others have had, but I can't say for sure until install is done.

And lastly... regarding the optics. There may be a chance in the future for you to want an optic. Think about getting the model with the welded on rail to save needing a claw mount. Pay once cry once.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Thank you for the replies. The TacLatch is a must for me since I have a short index finger(about 3 inches but it's thick though!) I guess I'll just order one and see what I need to do to it. I sent a message to PTR to see if they say anything since they point people to HKparts in the first place. Seems like that is the last concern I have. My brother has a toolbox with foot long screwdrivers so I will be good on the heavy buffer installation.

Thanks again.
If you do end up doing the tac-latch I would be interested to see how you did it, I don't have the guts to attempt it on my rifle, what you could always do though is buy a different HK lower and fit it that way, I saw some refinished stripped lowers on the RTG website that looked like a good price.

·
Registered
274 Posts
what you could always do though is buy a different HK lower and fit it that way, I saw some refinished stripped lowers on the RTG website that looked like a good price.
The tac-latch goes in the mag well in the receiver, not the lower.

And the stripped lowers do not work unless you buy the clipped and pinned version.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
That is what I was meaning to say with the tac-latch when i said lower, my bad, modifications to the mag well will still have to be made as there is no existing space for it to fit (at least on mine)

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Just realized to that switching out the lower with a clipped and pinned won't work either with the tac-latch because you are still going to have to mill out material of the bottom of the mag well. Sorry for the misinformation.

Expect to make modifications to your PTR if you purchase the tac-latch, that is why I didn't bother with it, but if you have the tools, patience, and the know-how it could be done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I only have a file meant to clear away some soft metal. I don't have a dremel, but I do have a powerful drill so maybe I can just buy a piece for it. I was hoping I could just file a bit of the taclatch, but if I have to file/dremel a small part of the rifle then I guess I'll do it. TacLatch is the only thing keeping me to this rifle considering how lame the mag release button is. I'd like to see how these people reload their PTR 91s if they can't even reach the button.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had a closer look at mine last night. I'd like to think that PTR's manufacturing results in quite similar fitment in each rifle. That said it will be an easy chore, but you will need some mechanical aptitude and patience to assure a good job and proper operation. Again with mine the clearance is tight, but I belive no mods will be required. If some work is needed a little filing and or some light drill/dremel grinding will suffice.

In the event that you are not capable or confident enough to make the fitment, it appears to be something a gunsmith would be able to do for very little chicken scratch.

I wouldn't let this potential issue stop you from a good purchase.

BTW: There is a low serial number unfired JLD-PTR-91 on Gunbroker. That is a rare item for sure. Jump on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PTR emailed me back and said that I just need to remove a bit of shelf(as you guys have stated) so I am going to get it. I have a reliable gunsmith 30 minutes away from me who would be more than happy to cut a bit of the receiver away. It's about 3/8" from the look of it. I was going to do it with a metal file but I'm assuming the steel is too hard for that so I'll just get my gunsmith to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts