HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to pick on of these weapons up for what I consider a right price. My question concerns scopes. I enjoy semi-high quality scopes like a L. Mk IV 4.5x14 or a Nightforce 5.5x25. Will these fit the PTR without interfering with the charging handle?

I would like something more powerful than a 4x. Suggestions would be helpful (no S&B though). Price limit of around 1700 or so.

http://www.ptr91.com/products_ptr.html

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have an opportunity to pick on of these weapons up for what I consider a right price. My question concerns scopes. I enjoy semi-high quality scopes like a L. Mk IV 4.5x14 or a Nightforce 5.5x25. Will these fit the PTR without interfering with the charging handle?

I would like something more powerful than a 4x. Suggestions would be helpful (no S&B though). Price limit of around 1700 or so.

http://www.ptr91.com/products_ptr.html

The Nightforce (NXS) maybe a tad bit too long. I have a 5.5x22x50 which is a little long. I have a 3.5x15x50 installed on mine. The Leupold 4.5x14x50 may be a better choice, but the Nightforce optics is clearer to my eyes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Nightforce (NXS) maybe a tad bit too long. I have a 5.5x22x50 which is a little long. I have a 3.5x15x50 installed on mine. The Leupold 4.5x14x50 may be a better choice, but the Nightforce optics is clearer to my eyes.
Thanks. I agree that NF appears to make clear optics. 3.5X15X50 appears to be the choice. Many thanks for your time.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have a Stanag mount Swarovski 10X on a claw mount for my PTR, its has good clearance for the cocking handle. Nice optics too. Someone on hk91.com was selling one at a reasonable price a few months back.

Bill

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Stanag mount Swarovski 10X on a claw mount for my PTR, its has good clearance for the cocking handle. Nice optics too. Someone on hk91.com was selling one at a reasonable price a few months back.

Bill
Thanks BIll. Swarovski makes an excellent scope. As far as using a Stanag mount how would it interact with a welded scope mount on the MSG model. Actually, (though I would receive a great deal) I am not sure the MSG model is worth the extra funds. The standard 18" model would be sufficient and all I receive for a few hundred extra dollars is a fluted barrel and adjustable stock. Of course they may do some further modifications that are not in their advertisement. I suspect the fluted barrel may aid in accuracy.

Rifle, Black furniture with new tactical handguard machined from Military spec. Hard-anodized aluminum with 1 3" rail, welded scope mount & Harris bipod, H&K Navy type polymer trigger group, stock adjustable for length of pull and cheek rest height, original H&K pre-ban flash hider & 18" fluted barrel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After another discussion with my dealer I found out that PTR is not using the Wilson barrel on the MSG model but Thompson Center, which according to him is better. I'm not sure about this .... :confused:

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have the standard PTR, with Port ammo it comes out to about 1MOA. The scope with the claw mount sits high. robertrtg.com has a cheek piece that will compensate for that. Pick up a G3 heavy buffer from Gordon Miller and it will be a fun rifle to shoot.

Bill

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the standard PTR, with Port ammo it comes out to about 1MOA. The scope with the claw mount sits high. robertrtg.com has a cheek piece that will compensate for that. Pick up a G3 heavy buffer from Gordon Miller and it will be a fun rifle to shoot.

Bill
The MSG comes with an adjustable cheek-rest. I will check out that G3 heavy buffer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The MSG comes with an adjustable cheek-rest. I will check out that G3 heavy buffer.
The heavy G3 buffer might take a lot of work to fit into the Magpul PRS stock on the PTR MSG, as the stock is designed to take the standard buffer. There is a picture of all the various buffers lined up together somewhere in another thread, so you can see the difference.

The MSG90 single-stage buffer is the same diameter as the standard buffer, but slightly longer - this might be a better option if it fits the PRS stock.

If you choose to go with a standard stock on your PTR, any of the buffers can be made to fit with minor modifications - the MSG90 would swap right in without a problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The heavy G3 buffer might take a lot of work to fit into the Magpul PRS stock on the PTR MSG, as the stock is designed to take the standard buffer. There is a picture of all the various buffers lined up together somewhere in another thread, so you can see the difference.

The MSG90 single-stage buffer is the same diameter as the standard buffer, but slightly longer - this might be a better option if it fits the PRS stock.

If you choose to go with a standard stock on your PTR, any of the buffers can be made to fit with minor modifications - the MSG90 would swap right in without a problem.
Thanks. I will send MagPul an e-mail and see what they say about the MSG90 buffer. BTW, where does one pick up a MSG90 single-stage buffer?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Thanks. I will send MagPul an e-mail and see what they say about the MSG90 buffer. BTW, where does one pick up a MSG90 single-stage buffer?
Try Adam Webber (hkparts.net) first. He's a member here and is great to deal with.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Adam Webber replied VERY fast!!! Unfortunately, the MSG90 buffer will not fit in the MagPul stock. I found a good HK source though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got my msg-90 buffer to fit my Magpul stock with just a little dremmel reeming and it shoots like a dream with little recoil. I got my buffer from Adam and he's a real pleasure to do business with.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got my msg-90 buffer to fit my Magpul stock with just a little dremmel reeming and it shoots like a dream with little recoil. I got my buffer from Adam and he's a real pleasure to do business with.
Thanks for the additional information. I am a little unsure of myself doing any work of this sort. Thus, until I find someone in Central Florida who is good at this I better not take a chance.

·
2,832 Posts
for a 91 if I recall max length you want for a scope is 13", a 93 would be 11"

the Leupold MRT fit the 91's very well

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

That is what I am afraid of: length. I will pick up the rifle on Monday and have a Mark 4 ~ 6.5-20x50mm and will see if it fits. If not, then the 2.5 x 8 (I believe this is right) may have to be the choice, but I'm not to excited about that prospect. Nightforces adjustables are all too long. Now, I could go with a: Kahles 6x42 ZF95 or IOR 2-12x32, but I know nothing of their quality and performance? Any other reasonable suggestion for a 10-13" good scope (preferably variable)?

G

·

13" is pretty accurate I just purchased a PTR MSG and tried a couple different scopes. I tried one that was 15+" and was way too long both front and back. The one I settled for was 13" and it set up comfortably for eye relief and still had room for the charging handle to operate.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Unfortunately it's trial & error to get the right length scope and the right height rings. That said, both of these setups clear the charging handle, barely on the bottom one, and don't stick back too far over the stock for my preference.

First pic, MFI rail, Warne QD rings, Russian 4x scope:

Second, B&T rail, Warne QD rings, Bushnell 3200 10x scope, but have since changed to lower and shorter MFI rail and removed the rear sight drum to get the scope as low as possible:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts