HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the MSG-91(welded on scope rail) model, and I got my Mark 4 optic and medium rings in this evening. However, the rings sit a little to low to clear the rear sight. I would like to keep the scope as low as possible. Is it possible or worth it to ditch the rear iron and along w/ sitting that low would the front sight obstruct the view? I should have researched a little more before the purchase.:90: I guess the overall question is what kind on scope mount(arms riser mount or taller scope rings) do I need to look into if the irons are going to get in the way. Does anyone know the actual height of the high or super high rings? I would really like to use this scope on the 91. I can post up some pics w/ the medium height rings if someone needs a visual. Thanks

·
Registered
732 Posts
I don't know whether this is something like what you are thinking of. I bought this for my V93. It is made by LaRue Tactical. It has a monoboc of rings and base and q.d. levers to keep it on or easily take it off. The objective bell on my scope is rather large, but it clears the rear sight, as you can see.

It enabled me to mount a scope which is really too large for this application, but it does work and returns easily to zero.

·
Registered
886 Posts
There are a number of mount/ring options, different manufacturers make different height items. There also would be nothing wrong with removing the rear sight, this would allow you to mount the scope as low as possible.

Bill

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies... I was looking at an ARMS raised mount that way I would not have to mess with the rear sight, but was looking for some input on whether or not mounting that low to the reciever if the front sight would interfere or come into field of view through the scope. Anybody have any experiance or a yay or ney on that route?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Boomer - I ran into the same rear sight clearance issue with my 91, MFI mount, and medium height rings. The way I see it, I need to buy taller rings or stay with my ARMS claw mount.

I am currently running the ARMS claw mount as opposed to buying another set of rings.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boomer - I ran into the same rear sight clearance issue with my 91, MFI mount, and medium height rings. The way I see it, I need to buy taller rings or stay with my ARMS claw mount.

I am currently running the ARMS claw mount as opposed to buying another set of rings.
Since I already have a rail welded on, I was looking into this option with medium rings. Let me know what ya think and if it will work. Thanks

http://www.armsmounts.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=85

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
So long as it can go on your scope rail, it looks like the 3/4" of an inch should be no problem raising the scope up high enough to clear the rear sight.

I would mock your scope up again and see exactly how much relief you need to clear the rear sight.

The riser mount is a bit pricey, but it's a great option to quickly take off and put on your scope. Also just to clear it up, I have an ARMS claw mount, not the mount you linked to.

Best of luck resolving your clearance issue.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recieved the ARMS #63 today, the fit and finish are exceptional. Will post up pics later tonight if there's any interest.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This mount saved the use of the iron's and allowed plenty-o-room for the optics. As of right now, by far the best $140 investment for this rifle. Thanks for all the reply's and suggestions for the mount. Burke

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am curious why PTR didn't make their rail longer. Seems like you end up having to use a mount similar to the LaRue SPR in Stubbicat's post - very nice setup by the way Stubbicat - just to get the necessary eye relief on a big scope such as Leupolds Mk 4.

Boomer03, now that you have your ARMS mount, LaRue Tactical also makes a QD riser but with a much longer rail to give you more options for proper eye relief. It retails for $125 and LaRue's products are much nicer than ARMS IMO...

Looks like you have a very nice setup none-the-less - please give a range report you have the time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts