HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the better ammo to fire thru a PTR (18")? Are they sensitive to certain loads? I was considering American Eagle 150 gr for everyday use and for more precision -- Hornady 168?

·
Registered
280 Posts
There is no set recipe for success. You'll simply have to try out various loads to see which ones your rifle likes. I lucked out and one of my guns really likes cheap Federal 150gn Power Shok SPs. :D

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,806 Posts
Ran a ton of LC mil-surp and Georgia Arms Canned Heat through one last weekend and never missed a beat. If there was anything to notice, it was that the PTR through the Canned Heat brass even further than normal!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I use whatever surplus I can get ahold of for "plinking" and just generally making noise. They've all (Indian, Portugese, SA, Malaysian) been decently accurate as well, but 165 gr. Black Hills Match land on top of each other for me.

·
Registered
303 Posts
When I had my two I fed them Aussie, Port & Santa Barnara surplus. Never had a one malfunction of any type with any of these. I sold them both when the SA surplus ran out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine is not ammo sensitive at all. I`m speaking of reliabilty. All soft points I`ve used including Norma 180gr. Flat point have worked flawlessly. My Aussie surplus is perfect for this rifle but its not cheap anymore.
The cheaper factory soft point loads for hunting are also very accurate out of the PTR. It shoots almost all loads well and some extremely well accuracy wise.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like most anything will run. Many thanks to you that responded -- now to find some good prices. :380: good prices

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Bulk Ammo

I recently purchased a PTR-91R and have noticed that it is hard to find bulk ammo that is in stock for plinking or for zeroing on the internet. I've checked Midway, Cabela's etc.. any place else out there where you can get stuff on hand at a good price? Also I have heard that Wolf steel case will screw up the extractor? Any other ammo out there I should be aware of that will cause damage? Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
I recently purchased a PTR-91R and have noticed that it is hard to find bulk ammo that is in stock for plinking or for zeroing on the internet. I've checked Midway, Cabela's etc.. any place else out there where you can get stuff on hand at a good price? Also I have heard that Wolf steel case will screw up the extractor? Any other ammo out there I should be aware of that will cause damage? Thanks
You are about a year too late for bulk .308. when AIM Surplus ran out of South African surplus that was the end of the cheap surplus.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Search for "The cheapest 7.62x51mm Surplus on the Internet" to find the latest meta-post of links. It's mirrored on several forums, apparently.

Recently I bought a can of Aussie .308 at a local show for 50c a round, and that's about as cheap as I've seen. Shot and fed ok through my PTR. Can't speak for accuracy, since I haven't a scope on it yet. (I got a palm-sized group at 100 yds with open sights. Not rifleman caliber to be sure, but if the target had been a baddie, he would've been dead.)

The problem with the Australian ammo is that it's Berdan primed, otherwise I'd buy a ton more. On the other hand, reloading ammo that's been fired through an HK-91 looks like it'll be an exercise in frustration, so maybe it's just as well.

·
Registered
589 Posts
CTD and Sportsman's guide both have "cheap" .308 in stock. Cheap being roughly $0.50/round.

·
Registered
732 Posts
On the other hand, reloading ammo that's been fired through an HK-91 looks like it'll be an exercise in frustration, so maybe it's just as well.
Try to find or build a port buffer, it will render your cases completely re-usable, if you can find them, that is! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts