HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was wondering... any opinions on the ptr fluted barrel...

Now I am going to have an old FMP rec built out that I bought long ago and was thinking of gettingone of these barrels

Any issue about it... any compatibility issue for my existing guns or parts kits....

Thanks,

LO

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I had two PTR's both functioned very reliably. They are very nice very well made guns. The barrels are very good quality but they are heavy and have a larger OD. I know that they do not have as many flutes as an original HK barrel but they work just fine and are very accurate.

oops I am an idiot LOL I just realized you were talking about the 20" fluted barrels rather than the chamber flutes. DUH I am kinda slow sometimes. I had a PTR91 and a PTR91K with heavy 18" and 16" barrels. I think the 20" fluted barrels are the same outside diameter but I am not positive.

As long as you are building a semi auto I think the PTR barrels are very nice if you are making a host gun I would track down an original HK hammer forged barrel.

The only problems that you should run into are all related to the OD of the PTR heavy barrel. First it weighs a good bit and the rifle may feel a bit front heavy to you. Second you will have to drill the barrel hole in the triple tree a little larger because of the OD of the barrel. Third you will need to do some light dremel work on the inside front of the forearm so that the barrel will set down in the forearm far enough to easily install and remove the forearm pin.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The Great 308 has spoken.

Only difference of opinion if you will I might offer is that on my PTR91 the wide fore end went on without any need for modification.

HTH

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
It looks like I may have been mistaken according to another post I just found. It sounds like the OD on the 20" fluted barrel is larger than the regular PTR heavy barrels. I think it is full target profile. Please read the thread below and pay special attention to the posts by JFK.

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47883&highlight=MSG90

This thread was a while ago and I think JFK has since finished his build. It sounds like you would need to use a MSG90 trunnion extension, forearm and cocking tube. Also if you decide to go this route JFK makes a MSG90 cocking tube extension or a complete MSG90 cocking tube. I am in the process of building an MSG90 clone and purchased one of his MSG90A1 cocking tubes and it is very nice.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies...

I think I will have to build one from a receiver to go this route...

It will make for a cool gun...

Thanks again,

LO

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have another question...

Does the trunnion extension add any accuracy? is it neccessary?

or is it cosmetic so you can have the MSG front...

I prefer the more common wide forend... I have three of them... and want to just use that...

I might just spend the extra cash on a good rear stock...

are the buffers from the MSG/PSG guns available?

LO

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have another question...

Does the trunnion extension add any accuracy? is it neccessary?

or is it cosmetic so you can have the MSG front...

I prefer the more common wide forend... I have three of them... and want to just use that...

I might just spend the extra cash on a good rear stock...

are the buffers from the MSG/PSG guns available?

LO

The trunion extension adds extra length for the MSG90/PSG1 forend to mount. If you go with the wide forend, then you're essentially making a G3SG1 style gun rather than an MSG90.

The 20" fluted PTR barrel requires a modified front end. I have one of these barrels and it's the same profile as the PSG1 style barrel (full profile, about .870")

Another option is to use the ORF heavy barrel which is allows the front sight post/handguard hanger. You can use a regular wide forearm and not have to track down an MSG90 forearm.

Heavy buffers as well as the MSG90 buffer are actually easier to find than the forearms.

·
Registered
886 Posts
From what I have heard, the PTR barrel has 2 fewer chamber flutes, this may allow some better accuracy, bolt stays closed a hair longer...it does reduce the recoil, bolt does not fly back as fast during cycling.

my .02,

Bill

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info...

Sounds like the orf barrel may be the better choice for a G3/SG1 approach then...

Bill I am interested in your trigger work...

I have heard many good things... Do you have a website.. any description?

Metal or Plastic?

LO

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Thanks for the info...

Sounds like the orf barrel may be the better choice for a G3/SG1 approach then...

Bill I am interested in your trigger work...

I have heard many good things... Do you have a website.. any description?

Metal or Plastic?

LO
Bill's work is outstanding. I sent him two trigger packs on a Monday. Both of them were back within that Friday. The difference was night and day and the price was very reasonable. If I hadn't scored on a PSG1 triger pack last week, I would've sent my lower in for work. I'm still planning to do my MSG90 hybrid clone (just catching up on other projects now) with pics and instructions.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi JFK,

Sounds like Bill might be the man for a light smooth trigger...

I am thinking of going the SG1 route...

Do both the PTR barrel and the ORF barrel work with the wide front stock. The PTR barrel is being described as a 1 MOA barrel.. is the ORF similar?

Big picture...

I have a SW-3 that needs to be improved... it shoots nice and reliably but has mag fit and forearm rattle issues... Jaysen at IGF suggests rewelding a new cocking tube... so now I am researching the while you are in there stuff... I think I want to go relatively stock on this gun and just make it fit the factory mags etc...

I also have an old interport (FMP) G-3 blank and two parts kits (awesome shape)... I am going to send that to Jaysen also... I am contemplating what kind of build to do... I figure the SW-3 is a good blaster... I can do a 2nd sniperish rifle... so I might go heavy barrel on the 2nd one...

I also found a ptr receiver and another parts kit that a local store owner wants to sell... Maybe an HK11 style for this!!! .... well If my build goes well with Jaysen,(which I expect it to) I will get it and hold it until I can afford all those parts!!!

LO

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The PTR 20" barrel will not fit over the standard cocking tube/handguard hanger since it's a straight profile. I believe the ORF barrel will work.

I spoke to "JD" at PTR a while back about doing a run of longer barrels for a PSG1 style barrel (25.6") and he told me they do not have the machinery to make the longer barrel. He stated they have too many things going on to venture out with making more stuff.

The hardest part to get for a PSG/MSG build is the forearm. You can ask Nodder (Paul123) about that. I had a batch of MSG/PSG tubes that I was going to work on. I put that aside for now since no one wants to buy the tubes and have to track down a forearm.

TB was supposed to be making a mould for the MSG forearm but who knows how long that will be. Gordon Miller told me he has an order with HK for 100 MSG forearms for over two years now.

The sad part is the forearm is two pieces of plastic with an aluminum Anschutz style T rail held together by five rivets. The locking mechanism is a spring plunger with a roll pin. The locking mechanism is held together with a steel slip ring. It probably costs no more than $20 to make.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I can work metal or plastic lowers, trigger packs are the same. The safety lever is slightly different. I don't have a web site as of yet, it will be a project for this fall.

Bill

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
ohh the forearm woes :) to put it simply i found a real PSG-1 scope faster then a forearm and the only reason i got the forearm was because JFK was insanely cool to sell me his extra. now i have to save my money and start the search for a PSG-1 buttstock

1 - 14 of 14 Posts