HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if PTR/JLD (or whatever they are called this week) is selling USA made magazines for those of us looking for 922 compliance parts? Are the magazines available anywhere? If not, why?
Thanks

·
2,832 Posts
don't know, but there are Thermold US mags out there, just post WTB and some will turn up, $20-ish, nice mags actaully

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thermold

Aren't the thermold mags generally considered junk? Did HK make some of those "high reliability" mags in 308 or are they just made in 223 for the AR?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
i have one of the plastic thermold mags and have never had any problems, other then the fact that it doesent look right in the gun.

·
2,832 Posts
have worked fine for me, agree they don't look quite right but they do work.

the HK HR mags are still made in Germany, no 308 that I know of, but suppose to be 20rd 223 mags......ordered but never seen em

Aren't the thermold mags generally considered junk? Did HK make some of those "high reliability" mags in 308 or are they just made in 223 for the AR?

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
FWIW I have owned two PTR 91 receiver weapons in .308; in one the Thermold magazine would not lock, in the other it locked perfectly. I also owned a SW3 that was a FMP based receiver, it would not accept Thermold magazines. So be sure your particular gun will accept Thermolds before buying a bunch of them.

As to function the Thermold .308 magazines work in semi & f/a fire 100% reliably. Plus they do not scratch up the magazine well like the steel magazines do, so they are worth the extra money IMO.

The reason no one is currently making them in the US (if I had to guess) is due to the lack of money to be made. Shooter grade surplus German G3/ Hk91 magazines can be had for as little as $1.50. This is purely speculation of course.

HTH

·
Registered
33 Posts
Didn't the Canadian Army use to nickname them "Thermelts". Maybe in full auto they had problems, but I can't see that much heat transfer affecting them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

I appreciate the comments - by the way, I used the high reliab. 223 mags - they are worth the cost. I tried to intentionally jam one with a screwdriver and could not do it - that self-leveling follower is amazing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts