HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an owner of the PTR MSR -- one of the first they make actually (Serial# MSR006).

IMHO, the MSR is the G3 done right for the civilian shooter. I happen to think that it looks clean and pretty, but looks can be subjective. What isn't subjective is that it has all the things you need and nothing you don't for an accurate and optics equipped G3 type rifle.

• Free Float aluminum handguard
  • 18" barrel w/ no muzzle brake, no flash hider, no threaded muzzle, just a simple crown
  • No rear sights, no front sights, just a picatinny rail for optics.

The MSR sold for about a tad under $1000 and was cheaper actually than the PTR-91 G.I. -- not surprising given that it does not have the iron sights or the barrel contouring complexities. Having shot the HK91, the early PTRs and the MSR, I really hope they'll bring it back with some improvements -- some of which can be made standard a set of upgrades to the family.

PTR MSR Gen II
  • Free Float medium-light contour barrel with 11deg target crown
  • Free Float Aluminum keymod handguard
  • No Iron Sights / welded Picatinny upper rail
  • Ejection Port Buffer (prevents brass damage)*

PTR MSR Match Gen II
  • Free Float medium contour Match Grade bull barrel with 11deg target crown & 5/8x24 threaded muzzle
  • Free Float Aluminum keymod handguard
  • Magpul PRS2 G3/HK91 adjustable stock
  • No Iron Sights / welded Picatinny upper rail
  • Harris Bipod / Keymod attachment for Bipod
  • 3 lbs billet aluminum match trigger pack with trigger shoe and over travel stop screw**
  • Ejection Port Buffer (prevents brass damage)*

*This can be standard feeatures on all PTR rifles.
** This can be an upgrade for all PTR rifles; standard on premium models and also sold separately as an aftermarket upgrade.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The MSR was the first rifle from PTR to have the welded top rail. Now that most of their rifles do, it's not 'special' anymore. I can see how there would be less demand for the model now.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Aluminum hand guards are hideous in this guy's opinion. About the rest, an HK employee at the (I think) 1998 SHOT Show said about accuracy of the SR9, "Eat is zee battle lifel, vat do you vant?!"
We all know what they say about opinions.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The MSR was the first rifle from PTR to have the welded top rail. Now that most of their rifles do, it's not 'special' anymore. I can see how there would be less demand for the model now.
No, it was more than that. It was also a G3 platform without things many owners don't use.

The MSR had no iron sights front or rear -- that is a $100 or so savings (let's be honest; once you put a scope on that thing you are not going to use the iron sights ever again. In the unlikely event the scope breaks you get a new one!)
The MSR is the ONLY thin under $2000 with a free floated hang guard which improves accuracy (theoretically) and lower cost (because the barrel no longer have to have contouring for the front sight / charging tube attachment.
The MSR was the only PTR without a bayonet adapter, muzzle brake or flash hider -- again lower cost and it's stuff you don't really need and many don't want (I always prefer a clean crown to a muzzle device for accuracy)

I can understand that many people want a G3 that looks like a military G3, but there are many users who subscribe to the platform but didn't care for all the army features. The MSR was the most desirable PTR for those reasons.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If the model was selling well I highly doubt PTR would have discontinued it. So apparently the MSR wasn't as desirable as the OP claims.

Plus "a tad under $1K" is NOT cheaper then the $899 the GI goes for either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts