HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was very excited to find a .308 caliber pistol in a proven HK platform. I purchased my PDW straight from the PTR Industries factory, cleaned it well, and went to the range. My first steps onto the firing line are when my awe of the beauty of the firearm, turned into immediate frustration. No matter what I do, the gun jams several times per mag. I've tried 6 different mags, and it does the same thing every time. The fired case gets jammed in front of the bolt, and blocks a new cartridge from chambering. I tried calling PTR to ask for ideas, lighter recoil spring, anything, but they were at lunch and never called me back. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it, or have I been ripped off? I have plenty of tools, work space, and ability. Can someone enlighten me?

Thank you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just call them off lunch hours. Chris Peterson is THE BEST and will help you. My own PDW screwed up brand new and after hours of frustration a friggin primer fell out of it when I was taking it apart. PTR guns are fabulous, you will enjoy yours.

Here....bigstanly.....this is a little fun after my PDW was running normal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cZX5nIffBc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to hear you got everything squared away with yours, it definitely is a good looking pistol, I will try to call them again. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Glad to hear you got everything squared away with yours, it definitely is a good looking pistol, I will try to call them again. Thanks for the reply.
I did send mine in, it got checked. I also had a rail welded on it, which meant it had to be refinished. Not cheap, but I wanted the rail for when I SBR it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just call them off lunch hours. Chris Peterson is THE BEST and will help you. My own PDW screwed up brand new and after hours of frustration a friggin primer fell out of it when I was taking it apart. PTR guns are fabulous, you will enjoy yours.

Here....bigstanly.....this is a little fun after my PDW was running normal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cZX5nIffBc
+1. Chris is straight up. They will take care of you.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Just thinking outloud:

Any chance you are limpwristing it? Not really limpwristing, but are you holding it tight enough to ensure proper cycling/ejection?
Can you move the extractor by hand? Is it loose at all?
What ammo?
Same mag or multiple mags?
Can you feel anything binding when you use the cocking handle ( is something slowing down the bolt?)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I tried bracing the pistol with my grip tight against my hip, and had the same result, so Im not convinced it's a limpwristing issue. I tried oiliing the bolt carrier more, no affect. The extractor is super tight, I can't move it with my finger, is that normal for an HK bolt? Ive been using ZQI and Nato 7.62x51. My mags were surplus (sealed) 82 hk and one 63 HK came with the gun, I stripped and cleaned them. The bolt cocks back smoothly. I am really confused as to why it is not ejecting the case, and jamming the spent case with the live round afterward. Sometimes the spent case is turned completely around and backwards back into the chamber with a live round, jamming them together preventing lock up. The ejector is flush with bottom of the bolt inside the ejector channel when I cock the bolt back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe i need to look at modifying or a different ejector? Longer perhaps, to eject the case sooner? It would be an HK91 ejector right?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Well, I tried bracing the pistol with my grip tight against my hip, and had the same result, so Im not convinced it's a limpwristing issue. I tried oiliing the bolt carrier more, no affect. The extractor is super tight, I can't move it with my finger, is that normal for an HK bolt? Ive been using ZQI and Nato 7.62x51. My mags were surplus (sealed) 82 hk and one 63 HK came with the gun, I stripped and cleaned them. The bolt cocks back smoothly. I am really confused as to why it is not ejecting the case, and jamming the spent case with the live round afterward. Sometimes the spent case is turned completely around and backwards back into the chamber with a live round, jamming them together preventing lock up. The ejector is flush with bottom of the bolt inside the ejector channel when I cock the bolt back.
You've addressed all the big things that could be affecting it. I'd say its prob time to send it back. In a few weeks, you will have a perfect gun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Update*** I talked to Chris @ PTR today and the problem is now fixed. The issue was with me not cleaning the chamber properly with a brush. I was not familiar with this procedure. I just took it out to the range and the pistol functioned flawlessly. Thanks everyone for your replies, and purchase the PTR PDW without hesitation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought I remember reading a bunch of guys brag that they never clean em.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I thought I remember reading a bunch of guys brag that they never clean em.
Well, I'll be following up with more round counts, but it would make sense the problem I was having, understanding the gun and the way I ritually clean after every range session. I was essentially packing the fluted chamber with muck, by vigorously cleaning the bore and neglecting to scrub the chamber. I am confident that the gun will continue to cycle reliably until I am ready to clean it again, but it is important to scrub that chamber any time the barrel is cleaned. Does that make sense? I might also add that with open sights, I was pounding a steel silhouette @ 100yds repeatedly for 40 rounds of .308 win, with an 8 1/2" barrel, without stoppage. The steel was about as responsive as a sledge hammer smashing a tin can filled with flour on a flat surface. I have a smile and my face, and a fine tool in my safe. Go PTR with confidence.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts