HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PTR extractor which I got from HKParts. The description says that it will work with "all HK MP5, HK94, MP5K, SP89 & SP5K or other 9mm clones." However, in comparing it to my SP5 extractor, the upper right hand corner in the PTR is "straight" and angular (left one in pictures) while the HK one clearly "rounded" or relieved (right one in pictures).

It does not seem that the PTR one will properly fit into my SP5 bolt head (or an SP5K one for that matter) since the corner would not smoothly follow the contour of the bolt head and instead would stick up.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. TIA!

·
Registered
14 Posts
You wanted to save some money on the real deal and you have.
Now break out the dremmel and re-profile it if you want it to be the same.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I have a PTR extractor which I got from HKParts. The description says that it will work with "all HK MP5, HK94, MP5K, SP89 & SP5K or other 9mm clones." However, in comparing it to my SP5 extractor, the upper right hand corner in the PTR is "straight" and angular (left one in pictures) while the HK one clearly "rounded" or relieved (right one in pictures).

View attachment 299389 View attachment 299390

It does not seem that the PTR one will properly fit into my SP5 bolt head (or an SP5K one for that matter) since the corner would not smoothly follow the contour of the bolt head and instead would stick up.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. TIA!
I always buy HK's newest extractor nowadays but when they were scarce I used PTR and others. The problem with PTR is that they source their parts from almost every conceivable source nowadays and I do not believe that they machine their own. Having said that, I've never had a problem with any extractor fitting into the three different style bolt heads I have in a number of genuine German MP5's. I have no experience with the SP5.
Try it and let us know and use a new spring when you do it.

Reactions: TiHK22

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You wanted to save some money on the real deal and you have.
Now break out the dremmel and re-profile it if you want it to be the same.
I actually wanted to have a spare and the PTR was the only one I could find but I did not realize that the profile was different. You are right - I should break out my dremel and grind away (if I can find where I put it... :))

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always buy HK's newest extractor nowadays but when they were scarce I used PTR and others. The problem with PTR is that they source their parts from almost every conceivable source nowadays and I do not believe that they machine their own. Having said that, I've never had a problem with any extractor fitting into the three different style bolt heads I have in a number of genuine German MP5's. I have no experience with the SP5.
Try it and let us know and use a new spring when you do it.
I like to get the HK OEMs ones too for sure. I am somewhat reluctant to fire it in an SP5 given the sharp corner so may consider dremeling it as a last resort since I have a spare HK one. Just out of curiosity, how often did you have to change your extractor?

·
Registered
733 Posts
So out of curiosity I dug out my PTR-91 and examined the bolt, extractor and trunion.
The forward face of the extractor is a few thousands short of the forward face of the bolt. On the 91 that 'sharp' corner touches NOTHING and it isn't a working edge in any way. It doesn't stick out past the rest of the bolt 'corner'. Rounding it off isn't going to buy you anything other than the knowledge you did it. Whether that's worth the time and effort it takes is up to you. PTR decided to save themselves some coin over the long run and avoid that unnecessary machining step.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts