HKPRO Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

· Registered
10,032 Posts
Heh... who sez I'm the one in the sink with the hot, soapy water? Anyone that knows and sees me at the Creek or ANY other shoot also sees the dear wife. She is also a NRA Benefactor member as am I. In fact, she's the one that gets my bullsh!tting butt in gear for gun cleaning at the shoots back at the motels. BTW, a microwave WILL get the water hot enough for the corrosive salts.

At the Creek, Eden, Marietta, and other shoots the guns get the "corrosive" treatment... all of them. No telling if some nasty stuff gets put through them as I allow factory fresh looking ammo in the guns when others want to try them out. Lets not quite call it rental, I usually don't charge anyone to shoot my stuff. Anyhow, the guns get cleaned before we shower up and hit the restaurants and join in the liars contests that always ensue afterwards.

· Registered
2,545 Posts
Hot water is one of the requirements. In fact, hot water alone does a fairly good job to keep the crimson horde back. Now we're not talking hot out of the tap hot, rather boiling water hot. I've been known to boil the bolt carrier assembly for a bit before using a funnel to put the scalding water down the barrel. And do it over another pot to catch and re-use the water, over and over again. Running the bore brush through with the muzzle in the hot water sucks the hot, soapy water up into the barrel repeatedly. Corrosive ammo is just a bit more work, but well worth it economically. Do it right and have no reason to fear corrosive ammo. Your grandfathers or great grandfathers had no trouble doing this and those old WW1 and WW2 rifles look great in spite of all the corrosive ammo. All a matter of cleaning the firearms correctly.
Or you could be lazy like me and just use Ballistol. 50/50 for corosive ammo. Dissolves salts fine and when the h2o evaporates leaves a oily (Non petroleum) residue. In fact I use this to clean all my guns as well as the leather in my corvette.:wink: Worked good for the "jerries"on their K98's!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.