HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ammo does your PTR-91 like best, and what are the best groups you've gotten?

Is the PTR bull barrel any more accurate than the standard profile barrel?

Post some targets if you have them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My PTR GI feeds and functions on just about anything FMJ or Softpoint- Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Tula, Wolf, Perfecta, Pakistani, Winchester, Remington, Aguila, PMC, Chinese, Austrian, South African and Indian surplus etc etc. Dont know which is more accurate.
Same w/ JLD PTR w/ heavy barrel.
Hits E type targets @ 225yds. Guns zeroed @ 30m w/ 200m sights. POI=POA. At 30m, 3 rd groups touch.
Dont have any pix of targets.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My PTR GI eats everything. IIRC, the US Army tested the G3 rifle and experienced no malfunctions except those purposely induced to study malfunctions.

Their conclusion was:

The weapons should continue to fire under adverse environmental conditions and with large variations in the interior ballistic performance of the ammunition.
It was designed for 7.62mm NATO and can handle all variations. In the United States, the standard ball ammunition is M80 ball ammunition at 147 grains. Germany also used as a "standard" ammunition for the G3 rifle DM41 and various iterations of DM111 which is a 147 grain equivalent of M80 ball.

Here is my zero target at 33 meters on the 200 meter aperture with Hirtenberger DM111 147 grain:

That is a 2 MOA group.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spent some time at the range with my new PTR91 102 (heavy barrel, 1:10 twist) this weekend, breaking it in and getting familiar with it. Shot about 70 rounds total.

Started with some American Eagle 7.62 x 51, and also shot some MEN and PPU M80, just to break in the barrel and get the scope zero'd. It was close with the 7.62, but changed quite a bit when I transitioned to heavier .308. I realize it's chambered in .308, but I had some small amounts of different 7.62 and thought it would be fine for break in. The results with all the 7.62 x 51 (149gr) ammo was not great, coming in around 4 or 5 MOA.

Did another quick cleaning and went to some PPU .308 168gr Matchline ammo, and things started to improve significantly, getting to right about 2 MOA -

20210704_152115.jpg

After that, I went to the "Gold Standard" of commercial .308 168gr ammo - Federal Gold Metal Match, and as expected, results improved again -

20210704_151901.jpg

That's fine for now, but most likely could be improved on with a better range set-up and more trigger-time. I was shooting off a light duty plastic table with a front bag.

The PTR's trigger isn't great - but I adapted and eventually got used to it. The trigger blade itself is pretty wide, which helps, but the travel is loooong with a fair amount of creep. I have other battle-type rifles with mediocre triggers, and don't really fix on it. Just gotta keep it moving and be patient.

I'm planning to shoot mostly Barnaul 168gr .308 steel case ammo in it, but right now it's still at $1.50 a round - more than PPU brass case. I shoot a fair amount of Barnaul 174gr 7.62 x 54R - and it's currently $ .60 a round. Not sure why .308 would be almost 3 times the price.

I'll post some targets with the Barnaul when I find some at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried Barnaul 168gr .308 steel case FMJ in their PTR91?

It doesn't come up as available anywhere.

Wouldn't expect the same accuracy as FGMM, but if it shoots reasonably well it would be a good option - as long as it's reasonably priced like other similar Barnaul cartridges. Last time it was available it was way overpriced.

EDIT: I did see Barnaul 168gr .308 FMJ at one big online ammo retailer, marked as "Out Of Stock", but with a previous price of $ .60 per round - which is about right. Currently, Barnaul 174gr 7.62 x 54R is available at that price, but last price on the similar .308 was $1.50 per round for some reason. Sold out now. Not sure why you would pay that much (almost 3X the normal price) for it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was getting 2-3" groups with mine. I was using a Z-24 scope and was kind of unimpressed with the accuracy so I took it off and went back to irons. It's a battle rifle not a sniper gun, so 2-3" is just fine for most needs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was getting 2-3" groups with mine. I was using a Z-24 scope and was kind of unimpressed with the accuracy so I took it off and went back to irons. It's a battle rifle not a sniper gun, so 2-3" is just fine for most needs.
What ammo were you using?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts