HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to work out a FTF. FTE issue with my recently purchased PTR91 GI R

Followed the PTR"break in procedures" to the letter ( very tedious and expensive)

Still having some problems,

Take a look at these pics and tell me if your chamber face looks like this. NO that is not dirt or powder stains on the face.

I have spoken to PTR several times about this. Got nowhere yet. ptr91 chamber.jpg

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
What is your bolt gap? Have you tried a different ammo? Have you tried other magazines? When you say failure to feed, are you slamming the first round into battery like you should?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Both mine look like that, its where the bolt head contacts the chamber face, never had any issues myself and assumed it was normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What is your bolt gap? Have you tried a different ammo? Have you tried other magazines? When you say failure to feed, are you slamming the first round into battery like you should?
Different ammo,( Federal, PPU, and ZQI) makes no difference. Different mags, yes first round is fed dropping handle and letting it slam home. The failure to feed is never on the first round.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear. The FTF is failure to feed. If the bolt makes it all the way forward, it fires. Problem is that sometimes the bolt doesn't carry the round all the way forward into the chamber.

Bolt gap will not affect failure to feed, as I was told at PTR.

On the cases of the rounds that didn't feed there is a large gouge on the side of the round.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Face looks normal to me. What doesn't is the lead in or actual opening of the chamber mouth. Is that a chamfer or a radius? Should be a nice smooth radius.

Maybe it's the angle of the camera lens or just in my head but the trunnion looks like it's turned a degree or two to the left.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Look at left side of your carrier. Also feel up in the cocking tube. Your first pic looks like there might be an issue there but it might be a trick of the camera though. If you have scratches on the left side of your carrier on the cocking extension that might be your problem

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
As for the damage to the face of the barrel here is an FMP surplus barrel that probably had untold rounds fired through it during the course of its life, my 2 other HK surplus barrels are probably nicer than even this one. Draw your own conclusions to premature wear

Is there any obvious damage or wear to your bolt face and ejector. It looks like your ejector is chipping away at the face of the barrel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there any obvious damage or wear to your bolt face and ejector. It looks like your ejector is chipping away at the face of the barrel
I can pull it out of the safe tomorrow and look. But I'm not sure I'd know what normal looks like. Can you post a pic of yours?

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
The black on your chamber face is carbon. A proper chamber face brush will take it off easily.

What do your spent casings look like? Do they have long scratches down the sides? With the flutes, a big dent in the side, and a crushed case mouth it might be hard to tell exactly what they looked like after leaving the chamber but before ejection.
Have you tried inserting an unfired round into the chamber with the rifle disassembled to see if it goes in and out freely?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, some of the rounds that did not eject have long scratches and even some gouges along the side. One did have a dent near the neck. No crushed case mouth.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds like an extractor issue. Color of the breech face matters little, stick your finger in there and make sure it feels flat and uniform. If your extractor is stiff in it's beveled slot in the bolt head it will smack rounds hard into the shell deflector area. Would explain FTE in some cases but not FTF.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like an extractor issue. Color of the breech face matters little, stick your finger in there and make sure it feels flat and uniform. If your extractor is stiff in it's beveled slot in the bolt head it will smack rounds hard into the shell deflector area. Would explain FTE in some cases but not FTF.
The FTF was a result of the round not loading all the way and the bolt not going into battery.

I called PTR and they are sending a label so I can return it.

I'll let you all know what happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts