HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a buddy of mine to the range with a barely used mint PTR91 I found for him on the AR15com forum. The only ammo we took was Israeli IMI 7.62, but the rifle would not fire any of it. It didn't appear that the firing pin was even striking the primer. I took it apart and the firing pin doesn't appear damaged, still round on the tip. We tried several times but no luck, the former owner never had a problem with it. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I took a buddy of mine to the range with a barely used mint PTR91 I found for him on the AR15com forum. The only ammo we took was Israeli IMI 7.62, but the rifle would not fire any of it. It didn't appear that the firing pin was even striking the primer. I took it apart and the firing pin doesn't appear damaged, still round on the tip. We tried several times but no luck, the former owner never had a problem with it. Any ideas?
Will it fire other ammo?

Do you have another .308 rifle you could shoot that ammo in?

There is a whole littany of things which could cause this -

It could be in spec but bad ammo (primers got oil in them, whatever), or it could be out of spec ammo and preventing the bolt head from fully locking.

The rifle could need a good cleaning, also preventing the bolt head from fully locking.

The hammer spring could be worn, and it may have shot different ammo, but not surplus military stuff which frequently has harder primers.

Maybe you loaded the rounds into the magazine in the wrong direction. :) Kidding, only kidding.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately he only brought the IMI ammo so I'm not sure, but that was my guess as to what the problem was. We cleaned it thoroughly before the range trip but we can double check the bolt head lock up, I've owned a HK91 since the early 90's. The primers looked like they weren't even touched so it may have been out of spec ammo. I'll take some of my ammo next trip, thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Unfortunately he only brought the IMI ammo so I'm not sure, but that was my guess as to what the problem was. We cleaned it thoroughly before the range trip but we can double check the bolt head lock up, I've owned a HK91 since the early 90's. The primers looked like they weren't even touched so it may have been out of spec ammo. I'll take some of my ammo next trip, thanks!
Yeah, if the primers don't look indented at all, it's probably not locking up, and the hammer is hitting the rear of the bolt carrier before the firing pin. I would say to be sure you're not riding the cocking handle forward when closing it, but if you own a 91, you're already familiar with the "HK slap" so that's not a problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree that someone may be riding the bolt forward. It takes very little to keep it from locking up. Really let it fly closed when charging/HK slap, and I`ll bet it fires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts