HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a PTR91 GI and a HK P30L. The P30L is pretty much set from the factory. The PTR91 GI can use a bipod and a vertical grip, though.

I have considered the UTG Leapers combo from robertrtg (HK91 Tri Rail Picatinny Handguard, G3 Tri Rail Handguard, PTR91 Picatinny Handguard, RTG Gun Parts), but various sources on the net say it is made form airsoft quality materials and easily scratch.

As an alternative, I have also considered a rail attachment for a handguard (PTR91 6 Inch Tactical Rail - HKPARTS.NET), but it does not look like it will fit the GI slim handguard, which has holes 7 inches apart. Is there a rail that will fit, or do I need to get a tactical hand guard?

Also, can I cut holes into the hand guard for ventilation and what is a good telescoping stock (as the current one feels a bit too long for me)

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I have considered the UTG Leapers combo from robertrtg (HK91 Tri Rail Picatinny Handguard, G3 Tri Rail Handguard, PTR91 Picatinny Handguard, RTG Gun Parts), but various sources on the net say it is made form airsoft quality materials and easily scratch.
Get this one from PTR. U.S. Made HK33 or HK93 or G3K Tactical Forearm - HKPARTS.NET. High quality, found that it works well for my needs.

As an alternative, I have also considered a rail attachment for a handguard (PTR91 6 Inch Tactical Rail - HKPARTS.NET), but it does not look like it will fit the GI slim handguard, which has holes 7 inches apart. Is there a rail that will fit, or do I need to get a tactical hand guard?
The slim hand guards aren't designed to have rails attached.

what is a good telescoping stock (as the current one feels a bit too long for me)
Haven't found one yet. I got the end cap/stock setup like this one, PTR-32 KFM4 Carbine Rifle - HKPARTS.NET but found that it really didn't shorten the LOP much.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I have the PTR guard that came with my PTR 18 inch heavy barrel from the factory and it is high quality aircraft aluminum. I had to mod it a bit for the carry handle install and the grinding was a bit of real work. You can install rail sections where you want and not elsewhere, a really good design. I have a Harris bipod and a 5 position folding grip + a rail section left forward of the bipod that takes a light. Here it was with a way too big scope I did not like, it has only an Eotech now and I am looking at other smaller scopes

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3584/dsc00783eb.jpg

·
Registered
370 Posts
Get a wood set while you still can, and then find an Uncle Mike's sling swivel set with a plate on the inside of the stud screw. You can put that swivel stud in any of the bottom holes and snap on a HARRIS BI-POD (or the Wal-Mart equivalent for $40).
If wood doesn't appeal to you, RTG has the wide handguards, buttstocks, and the correct bi-pods for them.
You could also drill a hole in the narrow hand guard wherever you want for mounting same bi-pod. (just not through the rivit hole!! (Wide guards tend to run COOLER because of their width, I guess).
The wood or plastic is (JUST MY OPINION) more comfortable and you can get a cheek piece and stock extension if wanted/needed.
Also the surplus sets sell for around $20-$40. Sets from CTD and CDNN come with buffers, recoil spring and (sometimes) mount pins.
Those PTR made aluminum hand-guards are really hard to beat if you go that route! I loved the one on my 16" barreled Karbine, but sold gun to buy G.I.
I did have to drill and tap one of the front bottom holes for the stud to mount the bi-pod, though. (they come tapped to mount a rail on all three sides as you know)!
Keep a VERY CLOSE EYE on your BOLT GAP!! I checked mine after every 20 rounds and it KEPT DROPPING!!
Fortunately my trunnion hasn't cracked (1000 or so rounds) and others on either side or my number, GI024X, by one or two digits did crack according to posts here.Go figure??
I found that replacing my bolt head assembly/locking piece combo with a genuine HK marked set corrected my gap shrinkage and it is steady around .018"-.019" after 400 rounds. Gap started at .023" for first shots with new parts, but it has settled in and seems steady now.
The originals were US made and German parts replaced them as well as putting a complete German semi-auto trigger pack from RTG along with one or their clipped and pinned lower receivers. I really like the feel (balance of the G.I. guns) since it is the same as HK-91/G3, where my 91F is just SLIGHTLY too muzzle heavy for me. I shoot the G.I from any position but USUALLY shoot the 91F from either sand bags or bi-pod.
Scope on G.I. is a HENSHOLT Z-24 setup from CTD and the 91F scope is on a HK/HENSOLT claw mount and is a SIGHTRON SIII 1.5X7 with German Reticle.

GREAT LOOKING PIECES Toku58 and Blitzkreig!
Later Bro's
BANGER

Still playing with that C-93 Steve. It shoots better each time!!
Stay SAFE and DRY--ALSO WARM!!
RUSSELL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts