HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took out my brand new PTR GI to the range today. I got of two rounds before a FTF. I checked the chamber and the round was stuck. I dug it out and became suspicious.
I put the rifle back in the case and took it home. Sure enough, squib.

So my question is was it the rifle or the ammo? I was using Sellier&Bellot 308 (147gr). I know it's corrosive, but I haven't read anything about reliability issues.
A PTR GI will shoot 308 and 7.62 correct? I can't find surplus ammo anywhere..

I don't think my barrel was damaged. Here's a pic of the round. With that said. I feel a little leery about shooting it.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
I don't think my barrel was damaged. Here's a pic of the round. With that said. I feel a little leery about shooting it.
Well sure you do. It's not a complete round. That's only a bullet. You'd have to reload it first. If this is what you're loading in your mag, thay are all squibs.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Technically a squib is a low powered round that sends the bullet out of the case to become lodged in the bore.. if that happened it has zero to do with the gun, it's an ammo issue

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bullet, round got it. Been programed to say "round" so long that I forgot that particular componet is the bullet. Yeah I was freaked out, this is the first time this has happened with any gun and with PTR's being so tempremental (depending on the year), I just wondered what if.

So what other ammo other than surplus (which I'm unable to find) would you recomend?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I use Chinese copper washed (not imported now) Radway Green, Winchester White Box and my softpoint handloads and they all run 100% except after my trigger job a few of the Chinese (like 2 of them) have failed to ignite due to really hard primers. My 7.62 Mauser ignited the 2 dud primers just fine

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
I love the wiseasses around here hahahahahahaha!!! Where's Shattered when you need him :D
I was hanging out with this guy... but I'm back now.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey now... he's useful.
At least he stopped using his "tip of the spear" catch phrase. Good Lord, I heard him use that line about 30 times in one interview. That was his phrase of 2011 it seemed...

·
Banned
879 Posts
I was hanging out with this guy... but I'm back now.

Dude, you look great in a suit and tie.

Who's that weird lookin' dude next to you though?

Kinda makes me think of this guy with a goatee.......

Just sayin'...... ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts